Crossfit--worth it or too extreme?

Options

Replies

• snkeller24
    Options
    I am very tired of Crossfit capitalizing on fallen service men and women as an incentive to get people to enroll in their overpriced classes. Doing a Crossfit workout named after a fallen service man or woman does NOTHING for the families or to bring them back. The extreme, military nature of Crossfit is one of the major reasons I don't want anything to do with it.

I know quite well how you feel about CF, but I can't believe you just said this. Do you know what "beyond the pale" means? Please think about what you wrote here, and if you can, please find it in your heart to apologize.

She won't apologize, so don't hold your breath.

I wonder how she feels about Tough Mudder supporting Wounded Warriors ... I should head over to those boards and see if she's spamming them yet.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    There is a Crossfit close to my home. Always wondered about it. I think from reading this thread I'll just stick with Insanity and P90X for now. Maybe someday. Don't understand all the "haters" on here. Let people make up their own minds. Geez, we already have the thought police, do we really need the exercise police to make our lives even more mundane. Live and let live people.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, if your friends are getting so hurt doing Crossfit, I think they have poor trainers. Everything should be modified for the individual member and everything should be done fast enough to be focused and work hard but slow enough to keep good form.

I think a lot of the buzz out there is misconception but also some folks bad experiences, and that's too bad.

If you decide to look into a CrossFit Gym, you should find one that has an on boarding process - new members should go through a 'foundations' class and never just jump into a full fledged WOD with no guidance.

I hate to see people miss out on what could really be a life changing fitness experience all because they heard or (even worse) experienced some bad things!

Betsy
    CrossFit Level 1 Coach

Just curious on your opinion of this? Their form is terrible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDyxXyf6UU&feature=player_embedded#!

Also where do you stand on kipping?

cffh3.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Thank you. It's nice to know there are people out there who "clean" with even worse form than me.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    that video you posted is just horrible. people asking to get hurt.

but i think its the exception, not the rule, of crossfit.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

Thank you. It's nice to know there are people out there who "clean" with even worse form than me.

That was painfully horrible.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I have no interest, but have nothing against it. It's like Shakeology..If you want to buy into it as being something special, and it helps you mentally...go for it but there are many ways to skin a cat which are cheaper and more effective.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • snkeller24
    Options

His stuff cracks me up - he does make some valid points though on movements.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Holy unbelievable awful.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Great article:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_investigative/the_truth_about_crossfit

The thing I didn't realize is that the "Creator," Greg Glassman, is fat and out of shape. You'd think he'd be in great shape creating such an awesome fitness program...at least Tony Horton practices what he preaches.

Also from the article:
    The WODs come straight from CF headquarters, but it's up to individual trainers to decide how they're used. Many of these trainers are officially certified by CrossFit, but that means less than it seems. For $1,000, you can earn CrossFit's Level 1 certification in a single weekend course. (Level 2 costs $500, and subsequent certifications cost $250.) That includes lectures and hands-on demonstrations, but no written test.

That doesn't inspire confidence in the people who are supposed to be supervising your training. Some may have higher certifications, or even degrees in kinesiology, but it doesn't seem that many do.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    It's no different then your certified trainers at Golds/LA Fitness ... for the most part they bought the material, studied, and took the tests.

Speaking on behalf of my box - my coaches are passionate about crossfit ... they came from different backgrounds but decided to be leaders to inspire us and help us. They didn't just go and take the cert class then start a box with no knowledge. They're military, firefighters, fitness fanatics, and so forth. Not all boxes are created equal. We know this.

The end of the day, it's an exercise program ... no different then anything else.
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love Crossfit. If you don't, fine.....it's amazing how many people that have never done it talk negatively about it.
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    DOUBLE POST
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    It's no different then your certified trainers at Golds/LA Fitness ... for the most part they bought the material, studied, and took the tests.

Agreed, it isn't any different than Golds/LA Fitness "professional rep counters." However, the professional rep counter at Golds/LA Fitness isn't telling you to do complex lifts at high levels of fatigue.

I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't pay for a Crossfit membership, but I would entertain the idea of incorporating Crossfit type training into my workout regimine.
    I love Crossfit. If you don't, fine.....it's amazing how many people that have never done it talk negatively about it.

I don't have to try something to know I shouldn't do something. I've done my research, and was actually in shape once (not lately, lol), and I would rather go with a workout program with less risk, but similar reward.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

This is a gentle reminder to please keep topic debates mutually respectful. You can contribute differing opinions and respectfully disagree, but no insults or personal attacks.

If you see a post that violates the guidelines, please use the Report Post link so a moderator can review. Do not reply to the post. Do not reciprocate any insults or attacks.

If there is a poster that you don't find is contributing to the discussion and you do not appreciate their posts, please use the Ignore User feature that is available in the drop down menu underneath the poster's profile picture. This will filter out that user's posts for you.

With Respect,
    _Sally_
    MFP Forum Moderator

*** You can review the full guidelines here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ***
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I've heard of it, and had one MFP mention maybe giving it a go, but I'm still a bit in the dark about what it actually consists of. I suppose Wiki told me everything in a nutshell. I mean I haven't seen any videos or heard any real stories other than the ones mentioned here.. but I'd try it just for ****s-and-giggles...but not for the long haul of course.
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    Dear Posters,

This is a gentle reminder to please keep topic debates mutually respectful. You can contribute differing opinions and respectfully disagree, but no insults or personal attacks.

If you see a post that violates the guidelines, please use the Report Post link so a moderator can review. Do not reply to the post. Do not reciprocate any insults or attacks.

If there is a poster that you don't find is contributing to the discussion and you do not appreciate their posts, please use the Ignore User feature that is available in the drop down menu underneath the poster's profile picture. This will filter out that user's posts for you.

With Respect,
    _Sally_
    MFP Forum Moderator

*** You can review the full guidelines here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ***

I didn't get an e-mail this time, so it wasn't me (finally!). :P
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

My face hurt watching this. I kept waiting for those girls to knock a tooth out or break their nose.