How many calories do you eat per day?

Options
Just curious but I weigh 268 and have it set to lose 1lb per week which was recommended and it has me eating 2000 calories. That just seems like a lot to me. Anyone else have the same thing?

Replies

• NessasMommy081311
    NessasMommy081311 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I weigh 190 and have my goal to 2 lbs a week, and they say I should be consuming 1220 a day, although I find it hard to reach that, and usually only eat 1000 calories a day or under, which of course everyone says is unhealthy, but really, if you eat low calorie meals and snacks, it is quite difficult to consume that many calories.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    2000's healthy and normal! I've got my diary set according to a 3500/week deficit off my weekly TDEE so about 1800-1900 a day (losing a pound a week or so, i'm 5'1" and 155ish)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    That's normal for your weight. I weigh 285 myself and I'm set at 2,090 a day.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    my target is 2400 but i have been eating 1500-1900 most days
  • mcilhattonja
    Options
    2000 calories a day is the perfect amount to consume for your weight :) you dont need to have exactly that though, give or take a hundred calories its not that serious. That is just a guideline to a healthy rate of weightloss in which youll probably be losing approximately 1.4lbs per week. good luck!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I weigh 159 and I give myself 1500 calories before working out. After working out, it can be anywhere from 2000 to 2300. I have absolutely no problem eating pretty much all of them!
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That's pretty good. Once you start losing your daily calories will go down. I was doing 1900 a day, now I am down to 1800ish. I usually eat anywhere from 1500-2000 calories a day. If you want to eat less, you will def lose more, but 1 lbs a week is pretty fast if you ask me.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh 136-138 (fluctuate) and I have mine set to 1600.

The slower you go, the higher ratio of fat to muscle loss. If you only eat 1200 a day, you will lose more weight, but you will lose a lot more muscle than if you took it slower and ate more. Either way you will burn off both fat and muscle, but with a smaller deficit and some strength training, you can minimalize muscle loss.

Generally speaking, a 15% cut off your TDEE is a good range to start with. Other than that, you have to find the balance that works for your body. Also- start lifting now, don't wait until you lose a bunch of weight. The more you strength train and the slower you lose; the more muscle will survive. :)
  • niki23poet
    niki23poet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To know what your daily caloric intake should be, your best bet is to use a BMR Calculator (Basal Metabolic Rate). That is what your body would burn if you just sat there on the couch never lifting a muscle. It is what your body would burn just breathing, pumping blood, etc... http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • RagenGBrown
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Was just wondering!! I eat about 1800-2000 and don't eat exercise calories. Hope you guys have a great week!!
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    To know what your daily caloric intake should be, your best bet is to use a BMR Calculator (Basal Metabolic Rate). That is what your body would burn if you just sat there on the couch never lifting a muscle. It is what your body would burn just breathing, pumping blood, etc... http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

THANK YOU for that link!!! I'm just starting out and figured 2 pounds a week was good - I want to lose it right? I'm a bigger girl. Ok, I'm a big girl LOL....but it had me set at just over 1200 calories per day. So I had done that for a couple days and became EXHAUSTED! So much so that my hubby told me that he didn't think I was eating enough. I told him what I was eating. He said "are you hungry?" I said "YESSSSS!" so his advice was EAT I felt better pretty quickly. He's been on this journey since last June so he's felt the feelings I feel. I now have MFP set so that I can have quite a few more calories. I learned a hard lesson with this, but it's a journey right? You learn as you go :-) So tonight, I was hungry. I ate a banana and felt no guilt!
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am using Ediets and was told to eat no more then 1600 a day as it has a defecit of 600-700 which is good today is lower then i been doing
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I find the calulated totals for Cal intake on this site is pretty close to the normal target... I adjust my %'s because I dont agree with them and they are different depending on your goal... but its almost dead on to start
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    5'2" and somewhere around 195 lb right now.... between 1700-2000/day depending how much I've worked out.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and currently 127 lbs, I have my goal set to lose 1/2 lb per week and that gives me 1360 calories per day before exercise. I do eat my exercise calories, so I normally end up eating a total of somewhere between 1600-2000 depending how much I exercise that day. Still losing, and never have experienced the dreaded 'plateau' that people talk about.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I weigh 190 and have my goal to 2 lbs a week, and they say I should be consuming 1220 a day, although I find it hard to reach that, and usually only eat 1000 calories a day or under, which of course everyone says is unhealthy, but really, if you eat low calorie meals and snacks, it is quite difficult to consume that many calories.

I too eat less than 1000 a day. Low carb And low fat but all healthy meals - no processed foods or sugar. I weigh 165 now and aim to lose another 30.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I'm 170 and mine is set to 1620. Unless I am starving I can't usually manage that amount without feeling sick. I don't let myself fall below 1350. If I am hungry I eat more.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    1600 calories

When I hit my goal of 145 I went onto maintenance for 140lbs so I'd have a little wiggle room when trying to figure out guidelines for a long-term plan.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    3500 a day to maintain, 3000 if I want to lose weight.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    140lb here.

Eating 2000~ a day to maintain, but I exercise so it ends up being 2500-2700~.

I eat a lot.