Really Bummed

Options
OK, so I have been diet and exercising for a month now. I have lost 15 lbs but no inches. I can tell some of my clothes are fitting differently but it seems like I should have better results by now. I have been walk/running 6 miles a day and then doing an hour of high impact cardio workouts. My knees and big toe on right foot are starting to hurt so bad I don't know how much longer I can keep exercising. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I think you have probably lost more that you think you have...if you have lost 15 lbs, that is a pretty noticeable loss!!! Are you eating enough? Can you do something a little more low impact? If you hurt yourself, then you won't be able to exercise at all & that will be so frustrating. Have you tried weights? Cardio is great for weight loss, but if you incorporate weights into that equation, it helps you burn fat even when you aren't exercising. If you build muscle, muscle burns calories even at rest. It is true...I have a heart rate monitor & I can stop working out & just stand around & the calories continue to burn!!! You are doing a great job!!! Give yourself the credit you deserve and take care of yourself!!!!
  • SKOrnelas
    Options
    thanks. I have started to add small weight for a little of my walking. I will try and increase them and see what that does.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    15 lbs in a month is AMAZING. Like other poster said, take some time to give yourself a llittle credit. did you take photos? I would take another set, sometimes you'll see things in pictures that you can't see in a mirror!! Great Job!! Keep it up!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    15 pounds in a month is way above average. What kind of results are you expecting?
  • VeraSchwankl
    VeraSchwankl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any lower-impact exercises? An elliptical machine, swimming laps, or a low-impact workout video would be easier on your knees and feet while still burning calories. Mixing it up would give your legs a chance to rest sometimes. :)

Good luck! The inches will come in time.
  • SKOrnelas
    Options
    Yes, I took photos. I am going to take photos once a month till I reach my goal. Thank you for the advice.
  • nyvah
    nyvah Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling right now. But like others said 15lbs is awesome. keep it going. all the best! :)
  • paulaszpyt
    Options
    Do you stretch out or have a cool down after you work out? If you dont stretch the muscles or joints, you could hurt yourself. Just a thought.
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Did you measure? Are you sure you didn't lose inches? That doesn't seem possible. 15 pound loss and no inches? Can't be. I think you are probably overdoing the cardio. You should do that everyday, but you really don't have to kill yourself. Take a couple days off from the high impact stuff before you hurt yourself. Really. And start LIFTING some weights. That will make all the difference in the world in your body. Not walking with some weights. Not the same. If you don't really have any, then incorporate body weight strength training. Lunges, squats, push ups, dips, burpees. You don't HAVE to have equipment. Good luck and congrats on the 15 pounds!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    15 pounds in a month is way above average. What kind of results are you expecting?

agreed. you're doing fine.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How's your diet? Your diary is private so we can't see it...
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    If you're knees are hurting you don't have to keep running... just walking is fine. That might be one thing you could change immediately to try to stop the knee pain. Also, you might wanna cut down on the cardio some or swim or do something that's going to be more low impact.

15 lbs is really good, btw.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Allow me to reiterate that 15 lb in one month is lightyears above average!

And I agree with Taso that if your diary is closed we can't help you.