What are you giving up for Lent?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sb65513n
    Sb65513n Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about bread and sugar. It will be tough but I gave up fast food and mayo and drinks with calories 3 months ago. I think I can do this.
  • JamieDoane
    Options
    Good one :)
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up giving up. I will NOT give up on myself. Jesus doesn't, and neither will I.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I hope I may quote you. Inspirational thought. Thank You!
  • Caper85
    Caper85 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think its time I kick all the bad out the front door. We drink diet pop even though its terrible for you, we eat fast food which is worse (which we have cut back a TON already), and watch too much TV when I could be playing with my sweet baby. I think this year its go big or go home! We have committed to a church and are new members so I think this year I am going all the way!!!

So what are you giving up for Lent?

Some real great ideas in here for Lent! It goes w/o saying that I will get rid of all junk over Lent! Maybe cut down on TV time too!! I watch way too much & complain that I have no time to exercise. Well, I can see that changing fast. Getting back to church is on my list as well. I promise Lord!!!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Thinking I should give up FB as I spend far too much time there. However, my family is VERY spread out. Nobody local. FB is how I keep the grandparents up to date on all the kids activities etc. March & April are packed with gymnastic meets & rifle team competitions so I don't see giving it up completely. Perhaps I will limit to quick morning or evening session.

I have started reading my daily bible on Jan 1. Has readings for each day. Really enjoying this. Maybe I will also do some bible reading @ night during Lent.
  • gmeiners2
    gmeiners2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide....what to do, what to do. I think that I'm going to start watching TV one hour later and work on a project until 9:00. It's really too easy for me to do nothing after work. Anyone else feel like that?
  • jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am giving up bread. I eat way too much and I am going to add 30 mins of walking each day
  • twkelly
    twkelly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything. Instead, I plan to build the habit of daily exercise over the lenten period. Taking better care of the body God gave me, so that I may do the work He has planned.

This.

Jesus gave so much for us... time to do something positive with it.
  • nikkisa10
    nikkisa10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sugar & Starches....I think they may be making me sick anyway :(
  • LilysMommy2012
    LilysMommy2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THE IDEA OF GIVING UP FACEBOOK. I WOULD EXCEPT MY MOM LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE AND I HAVE AN ALMOST 1 YEAR OLD. SHE WOULD BE SO SAD IF SHE DIDNT GET TO LOOK AT NEW PICTURES EVERYDAY!
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't give up anything. I always add something. For instance, 5 more minutes of prayer time every day or a prayer a day for family members or friends, or complimenting one person every day. By the end of Lent, whatever I have added has become a good spiritual habit - which is the whole point! Peace!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide....what to do, what to do. I think that I'm going to start watching TV one hour later and work on a project until 9:00. It's really too easy for me to do nothing after work. Anyone else feel like that?

I'm right there with you but in a different way...

We dumped the cable three years ago when moving to a new home, but got a converter box for our old set so we could catch the occasional football game, important news event,etc. Then the basement flooded last spring, so now there's no TV. Had you asked me 10 years ago I couldn't have imagined not watching TV - I bet I watch a game once every 2 or 3 months now other than when the TVs are on at the gym.

Having said that, I am SO GUILTY of sitting down at the computer to accomplish a project, but then I get distracted by reading MFP posts!!!! It's just so much more interesting than doing work, paying bills, etc. If I could limit the excess time I'd have a lot more spare time in my life.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up giving up. I will NOT give up on myself. Jesus doesn't, and neither will I.

I like that thought, thank you.

M
  • yanasmom
    yanasmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Excuses!!!!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am giving up all oregon lottery games and adding a day of service to our church landscaping.

M
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I hope I may quote you. Inspirational thought. Thank You!

Absolutely :) I'm flattered!
  • JamieDoane
    Options
    SUGAR, especially refined sugars.