Does anyone here NOT track calories?

Options
I hate nitpicking over the calories I eat...as long as I eat healthy foods and control my portion sizes, I'm usually happy at the end of the day.

I workout 4-5 days a week consistently. I run, weight lift, play football/ultimate frisbee at work...I used to be into yoga, and want to get back on track with that.

I'm just not really worried about tracking the calories...is that bad? Should I start?

Is anyone else the same way?

Replies

• heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    seeing as this is a website/app based on tracking calories... i'm sure there are a handful of people who don't, but otherwise, this question is kind of like walking into a bike store and talking about how cars are really awesome. cars are awesome, but the people in the bike store may not be the right audience for it, iykwim :tongue:
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    seeing as this is a website/app based on tracking calories... i'm sure there are a handful of people who don't, but otherwise, this question is kind of like walking into a bike store and talking about how cars are really awesome. cars are awesome, but the people in the bike store may not be the right audience for it, iykwim :tongue:

^^ This.
    I mean, honestly - what do you use the site for? The forums? Or ??? (Just curious).
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    Lol yes, I like the forum, and the community/website in general. I like how this website is for all kinds of goals, exercise, and people (it's not soley about running, weightlifting, or yoga, etc...)

I occasionally will track calories for a few weeks, then just kinda stop...I'll lose interest.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    Honestly without counting, there's absolutely NO way I'd lose any weight. Wow, I couldn't even imagine not doing it; it's become routine at this point. Plus, the "... in 5 weeks, you'll be" prompt after every completed day makes me feel like all this hard work is paying off.
  • sxyfitmomandwife
    sxyfitmomandwife Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Lol right
  • mcilhattonja
    Options
    it sounds like your lifestyle is a very healthy one, as long as you have a clean diet and control the portions you really dont need to spend all that time counting calories! :)
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    When I started using MFP I tracked everything and began to feel like I was eating more because I was spending sooo much time thinking about eating and what to eat and when... I stopped tracking to see how it went and then started to loose some weight. I just needed to listen to my body and make smart decisions about food. I should add that I am in a healthy weight, eat fairly healthy and exercise regularly so it may not work the same for others that have different goals. I do like having the site to look up health info of new foods or exercise and enjoy using the forums.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm sporadic with logging food now. I've been on here over a year, and after about six months, I stopped logging on weekends and holidays with no negative impact. Sometimes taking a random week off here or there if my husband was on vacation. I took almost the entire month of January off when recovering from an injury, and barely exercised during that month, too. Again, no impact.

I think I got the hang of eating about the right amount of food. At this stage, I'm maintaining my weight, and log to make sure I'm eating enough more than to make sure I'm not eating too much. I don't feel compelled to do it.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think you should try it. See what nutrients you are getting by logging the food. See if you are building lean muscle when competing in sports by eating the right number of calories to fuel your body, including all that exercise. You might like it!
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I track in phases...
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys! My main focus is training for a half-marathon, not necessarily to lose weight or anything...but I do realize the importance of getting ENOUGH food and the right nutrients...I might log for a few weeks then take a break for a week or two.