0 calorie noodles?

Options

Replies

• scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ditto.

If you dare, rise them, rinse them again, then again, and again. They smell nasty and you really need to cook them in something super flavorful.

I prefer the yam noodles over the shritake ones, but really, nothing can compare to real pasta!
  • mrosem87
    Options
    I think they're good enough of a substitute. They are filling! Like someone mentioned above, they smell funny at first. Just rinse them. I usually add them to hot miso soup with some tofu, sprinkled seaweed, and ****ake mushrooms. You can use them as substitute for ramen or chow mein. =)
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    i think i'll stick to spaghetti squash.... 1 cup = about 45 calories

Sorry if this is sa dumb question but what is spaghetti squash? :wink: Is it pretty much self explanatory?? And what do you do with it? Eat it by itself or make sumthing with it? Thanks

An amazing squash where the fibers inside are long like spaghetti. You can cut it in half and roast or microwave it, then take a fork and break up the strands. It is tasty with salt and pepper, but you could use it with marinara if you wanted to.

oh okay....another dumb question......is spaghetti squash the same thing as squash? or r they 2 diff things?

They are similar to other winter squashes, not summer squashes. Winter squashes have a harder rind that you would not eat. Others would be butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkins, etc.
    With summer squash (which grow in abundance during the summer) you eat the entire thing.
  • piercedanatomy
    piercedanatomy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like them. The ones I get are 6 calories per serving. I use them with my stir fry. They are called shirataki noodles. They are normally in the Asian food section or you can get them at an Asian food store. You can also order them online. Here is one website that carries them. This is the brand that I use.
    http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/orchids-white-shirataki-noodles?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base
  • JSMSDSAS05
    JSMSDSAS05 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ditto.

If you dare, rise them, rinse them again, then again, and again. They smell nasty and you really need to cook them in something super flavorful.

I prefer the yam noodles over the shritake ones, but really, nothing can compare to real pasta!

so what is the difference between these yam ones and the shiritake? or r they pretty much the same?
  • piercedanatomy
    Options
    I've also used spaghetti squash for my spaghetti and it's a decent substitute. I cook mine in the microwave and it only takes 10-15 minutes depending on the size.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    y-u-no.png

Just eat the real thing!!!
  • DSMAW
    DSMAW Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have tried these before and they were ok. They are called Shirataki "Skinny Noodles". As long as you rinse them well to get the smell away they won't to bad. I made spaghetti with mine. I just mixed mine with ground turkey breast and mariana sauce. Here is a website with some recipes: http://www.genkiusainc.com/preparation_recipes/index.html

I found it was way cheaper to buy these noodles at the Asian market
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can make "noodles" out of zuchinni with a mandolin slicer, and they are delicious when prepared right, with the right sauce and toppings :)
  • JSMSDSAS05
    Options

Sorry if this is sa dumb question but what is spaghetti squash? :wink: Is it pretty much self explanatory?? And what do you do with it? Eat it by itself or make sumthing with it? Thanks

An amazing squash where the fibers inside are long like spaghetti. You can cut it in half and roast or microwave it, then take a fork and break up the strands. It is tasty with salt and pepper, but you could use it with marinara if you wanted to.

oh okay....another dumb question......is spaghetti squash the same thing as squash? or r they 2 diff things?

They are similar to other winter squashes, not summer squashes. Winter squashes have a harder rind that you would not eat. Others would be butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkins, etc.
    With summer squash (which grow in abundance during the summer) you eat the entire thing.

alright! thanks for answering all my questions!!! maybe I will try that next time I go to the store!
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    maybe it's like rice noodles.. they are made from mung beans
    maybe the yam noodles are made from something else as well?

Rice noodle should be made of rice.

Glass, crystal, or cellophane noodle is sometimes made out of mung bean, and looks a lot like rice noodle.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options

alright! thanks for answering all my questions!!! maybe I will try that next time I go to the store!

Awesome! Now is also a great time to get them. All of the winter squashes are good, so play around with them. The acorn squash happen to be my favorite squash to stuff.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    maybe it's like rice noodles.. they are made from mung beans
    maybe the yam noodles are made from something else as well?

Rice noodle should be made of rice.

Glass, crystal, or cellophane noodle is sometimes made out of mung bean, and looks a lot like rice noodle.

so is mung basically meth?
  • piercedanatomy
    Options
    I rinsed them once and used the chili sauce on them with my stir fry. I had to try them a couple times and different ways before I found a way that I liked them. They stink when you first open them. The ones that I buy are on the shelf and don't need to be kept in the fridge until you open them.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

you bake it then scrape it out and you can use it like spaghetti. here's a place you can find out more :smile:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/301602-does-spaghetti-squash-have-fat-or-calories/
  • rudzud
    rudzud Posts: 24
    Options
    Wow. I thought yams were starchy. Are yams this low in calories too?

Different yam. These are not sweet potato yams, but mountain yam (burdock root)
  • JSMSDSAS05
    Options

you bake it then scrape it out and you can use it like spaghetti. here's a place you can find out more :smile:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/301602-does-spaghetti-squash-have-fat-or-calories/

THANKS!
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    yup, they're also sold as "Miracle Noodles" or something like that too. They are rubbery, and odd-smelling. There's ONE recipe I found that makes them palatable-- cold/hot sesame noodles. Mind that the almond or peanut butter will add a lot of calories, but you can do this awesomely delicious dish with low carbs.
    I found them at the Asian market in the refrigerated noodle sections (next to tofu and won ton skins). They literally say yam noodle on it (below some Chinese characters, usually)

Thanks! I looked at the Asian Market near my house but not in the refrigerated section...will look again

I've also found them in many large grocery stores near the tofu. If they don't say Yam they will certainly say Shirataki.
    These are the ones I find most often in stores, http://www.shiratakinoodles.net/shirataki.jpg
    If you think these are going to taste like sweet potato then you are going to be in for a surprise.
  • rudzud
    rudzud Posts: 24
    Options
    They are chewy but I still think they are good.
    Warning: they smell horrible. You will need to rinse them, dry them in a pan, and then possibly boil them for a moment.

The ones I had actually were fine. Rinsed them for about 30 seconds and tossed them into the stir fry. Then again, I ate these rather often at japanese establishments. Also didnt have an issue with the texture.
  • kohmori
    Options
    Repost from a thread of the same topic:

"I've been eating shirataki since I was a kid. The Japanese have been consuming it (and konnyaku - same stuff different form) for centuries. It's usually cooked in a broth (like sukiyaki) but sometimes stir fried (especially konnyaku). It's very good if prepared well and it is about as calorie-less as you can get. I would not recommend it as a "substitute" for pasta. It's not pasta.

I generally hate "substitute food." I can't stand veggie burgers and "tofurky" but I love tofu. I can eat plain (fresh silken) tofu with a spoon. I feel like if I have to trick my self, it won't be sustainable in the long run.

My favorite way to eat shirataki (in the US) is mixed in with stir fried/sautéed vegetables."