Zero Calorie Pasta...

Options
13»

Replies

• SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    If you want low-calorie "spaghetti", I would recommend getting a julienne peeler and making spaghetti out of zucchini. It's pretty much flavorless, so you can put whatever you want on top, plus it cooks quickly and is obviously very good for you!

Or just buy a spaghetti squash and cut it open? Hard part's already done and waiting for you on the inside. ;)

cooked-spaghetti-squash-02.jpg

Yum!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you like eating out of a minnow bucket they might be good...nope still would be gross. Think nasty fish smelling rubber bands. They are really that gross.
  • kohmori
    Options
    I've been eating shirataki since I was a kid. The Japanese have been consuming it (and konnyaku - same stuff different form) for centuries. It's usually cooked in a broth (like sukiyaki) but sometimes stir fried (especially konnyaku). It's very good if prepared well and it is about as calorie-less as you can get. I would not recommend it as a "substitute" for pasta. It's not pasta.

I generally hate "substitute food." I can't stand veggie burgers and "tofurky" but I love tofu. I can eat plain (fresh silken) tofu with a spoon. I feel like if I have to trick my self, it won't be sustainable in the long run.

My favorite way to eat it (in the US) is mixed in with stir fried/sautéed vegetables.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    Shirataki are about 20 calories a serving, NOT 0. They require more work to prepare, like rinsing and drying in a skillet. They also need a very flavorful accompaniment. Do they replace spaghetti? No, but they work rather well in any recipe that would have originally used a rice noodle. They are chewier, but the fishy smell and flavor can be reduced with the proper preparation.
    I love it in stirfrys, it bulks up the meal and I can add more calories with better foods.
  • CellyJames
    Options
    good stuff!
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    Miracle noodles,the clear ones are 0 calories a serving. I put them with a laughing cow cheese wedge, parm cheese, broccoli and chicken.
  • kelleymeg
    kelleymeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Agreed. These are so disgusting. Its like theyre not even actually food. i used to gag when i ate them. The only way i could manage to get them down were to actually "dry" them out in the oven then toss them dry with low fat parm and spices - which negated the whole thing.
  • robidy
    robidy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have used it before, It was approved by my GI Dr & Nutritionist.
    It is basically a derivative from the aloe vera plant - or some plant ;-)
    It comes in single serving packages and does have somewhat a stinch when you first open the pack.
    You rinse them & then blanch them in boiling water, redrain and put on a paper towel.
    I have used the rice with a turkey rice dinner and it it did 'absorb' the flavor or what I was eating.
    They are very filling because it is basically fiber.
    I have used the Garlic and Herb pasta with some Garlic and Molly McButter before - not the best but I was
    hungry and just wanted a little filler.
    Anyway - they are different but can be an option on those days you are extra hungry and want to stay within your calories.
    Just MY two cents.:wink:
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    You can watch a couple of people preparing dishes with them on You Tube. One of the gals on You Tube is on MFP, too.
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    :wink: Dr Oz swears by them!!! :happy:

So there's a reason to question their real value. :grumble:

Not a big Dr Oz sellout fan.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It's not very good. When you open the bag you are hit with a sickening fish smell. Once you do finally rinse of the sick smell (which takes like 5 minutes-seriously) you have to pat them dry and heat them up in a skillet with what ever you want to top them with, though I never found anything that would actually top them well. They are fairly tasteless and have the texture of rubber. Do to the fiber in them they gave me a stomach ache, and because there is not much to them they left me filing unsatisfied and I would have been ahead to just eat a serving of whole wheat pasta.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If you want low-calorie "spaghetti", I would recommend getting a julienne peeler and making spaghetti out of zucchini. It's pretty much flavorless, so you can put whatever you want on top, plus it cooks quickly and is obviously very good for you!

Or just buy a spaghetti squash and cut it open? Hard part's already done and waiting for you on the inside. ;)

cooked-spaghetti-squash-02.jpg

I have tried both of these options and they are awesome! My favorite however is the spaghetti squash.
  • sheilsun
    Options
    I really love using Miracle Noodle in our meals. I like the fact they do not have any soy or tofu and I am always finding fantastic new recipes ideas by customers almost daily on their Facebook page. Besides using them in stir frys and soups I found other ideas on their FB page using the noodles in many oriental and Indian dishes, Pad Thai, Chicken Stroganoff as well as their easy rice pudding desserts.
  • kohmori
    Options
    Shirataki are about 20 calories a serving, NOT 0.

Not according to the package I just pulled out of my fridge. All zero's except Total carbs are listed as "Less than 1" and Iron is listed as 8%. Even if I assumed it contained 1 gram of digestible carbs per serving (3oz) I could eat a whole pound and only consume 20 calories. That's less than celery.
  • JVanDam77
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your input. I think I will pass on them. After all...I am a HUGE Italian food lover and LOVE my REAL pasta.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I use both the miracle noodles and the tofu Shirataki noodles. One has 0 calories and the others have 40 calories a bag. You have to rinse them very well and dry them and the I just cook them in the microwave for a minute. I like them better than normal pasta.

I agree. Rinse them well and they cook just fine. They take on the taste of whatever seasoning you apply to it. I think you should give it a shot and see for yourself. Some like the texture (like me) and others don't.

I used it in stirfry and veggies dishes.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For Italian dishes with a red sauce, I prefer spaghetti squash or cannellini beans. For white sauces, shirataki noodles are fine as a flavor delivory mechanism, but the texture is off. In Asian dishes, these noodles SHINE. Shirataki noodles with leftover veggies and meat with a red curry sauce is a regular lunch for me. They also go well in Asian soups.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Remind anyone else of Mealz from Good Omens? Or perhaps Snakz?

On topic- I'd recommend spaghetti squash over the fake noodles. We bought a spiralizer and make our own noodles from zucchini, squash, carrots- whatever we want. Eggplant noodles are great too! It's very low-cal with the added benefit of fiber.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The concept of food with no calories bothers me - what kind of world do we live in where some people are starving from want of ANY food at all, and those of us in affluent countries are so concerned with eating a huge serve of something that we are prepared to pay good money for "food" that has no energy value?

I think we've really lost the plot now.
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you know they can label it zero calories as long as its under 10 cals per serving so if there are 10 servings per packet thats a 100 cals, only things that are 0 cals actually are water and salt some having 1 or 2 but still have some they do add up