Hello! I have a really long way to go!

Options
Hi! I'm pretty new, I've been tracking my food and exercise on here since Saturday, but on my new health plan for a few weeks. I've lost 7lbs so far. My starting weight is a whopping 261 lbs! That's close to 19 stone or about 118 kg!
I am a UK dress size 18 (which is a US 16 or European 46) and just 23 years old!

My target is 130 lbs!!

I think that the reason I have never been serious about weight loss is that I carry it well. I'm hourglass and quite tall. I carry most of my weight on my bust, hips and bum. Because of this people are quick to say that I'm "not very overweight" when in actual fact, my BMI is clinically obese!

I only really started gaining weight at about 19 when I was at university and living on instant noodles and alcohol and since then my diet has been fair but probably a little fatty. Plus, I have a tendancy to snack on bread and biscuits over fruits and vegetables.

In the past all of my weight loass has been about "dieting"; cutting things out, going hungry and feeling unfulfilled. My new approach is to eat better. Instead of being hungry I'm eating whenever I want, just like before, but I'm changing the things I eat and the way that I handle hunger. Not every pang has to be snack-time. I have a cup of tea and see how I feel again in an hour. It's so much easier than it has been before, because I don't feel as though I'm being denied everything.

I love to cook, and I love using rich flavours and sauces... I guess this doesn't help to maintain a healthy weight! I went shopping at the beginning of my diet and bought all new and better foods. I have stocked up on fresh fruits and vegetables, poultry, fish and wholewheats and cleared my cupboards out of all bad foods! No more sugary cereals, crisps, white bread and biscuits!!

I would love to hear people's tips on how to stay motivated! How to keep meals exciting and how to get all of my exercise in at home for free. It is worth noting that I really, really dislike exercise, so the less an activity actually feels like exercising, the better. I have an exercise bike arriving tomorrow; I like the idea of getting fit whilst I watch TV! I have also been doing some cardio on my exercise ball. Right now I can't afford to join a gym and I want to get my fitness levels up before joining a class.

I have loved reading everyones inspirational stories! Is there anybody out there who has lost a similar amount of weight to me already? How long did fit take you and what advice would you have?

I'm actually really excited at the thought of shedding all of this weight. I'll be like a new woman!!!

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    hi welcome!! im from the uk, im coming 23, and ive lost 11lb in 3 weeks so far, and im currently 216lb(i think!) and although i dont look that weight (im sporty so have quite a bit of muscle hiding under the flab), im still extremely fat, and sick of being fat!! i just keep taking each day at a time, i set small targets- for example, next week i want to lose 3 lb so i can get my stone off. if you want to lose the weight you will do it! on here is great for motiviation, lots of people on here are great at keeping you going, if you slip up, thats fine, move on and start again :)
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Hello and welcome :)
    I started at 251lbs, and as I'm just a touch over 5', I can't claim *I* carried it well lol
    Weight aside, I was up to a size 22 - even had the odd 24 - and am now a very comfortable size 12, so, believe me, it can be done...and I've still got a couple of stone to go :)
    Calorie Counting rocks, hope you ♥ it as much as I do :D
  • WillJaques
    Options
    Hello!

I'm 23 and from the UK aswell and started loosing weight at 16st 8lbs (232lbs) It's dificult to start a new lifestyle ands its quite the culture shock. However once you do and you notice the chages It becomes second nature.

Just remember to record everything and if you slip up, which we all do, record that aswell. Most of all just keep calm and carry on.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Congratulations on starting your new health plan.

At my heaviest weight (many years ago) I was close to your starting weight - I was 113 kg. I joined MFP at the beginning of September at 95 kg, and am now down to 77 kg (still some more weight to lose!).

I've found MFP very helpful in losing weight, and I am confident that you will be able to lose weight too. I eat fruit and salads, as well as low-GI foods such as yoghurt, muesli, and Burgen bread. What I like most about the MFP approach is the flexibility - you can chose how to "spend" your daily calories. I LOVE my cappachino, so "save" some calories for them!!!

Since joining MFP, most of my exercise has been gained from walking (I walk my German Shepherd each day) and gardening (moving soil, digging, weeding). I sometimes put some cleaning down as exercise too. So there's no need to spend money on gym fees (at least in the beginning). The bonus is that my garden and house are getting more attention, and my dog loves the walks.

As you will see, everyone on MFP has a different approach. Some people have regular "cheat" days. I don't. Apart from Christmas Day (when I was about 400 calories over my daily target), I have been within my calorie limit each day. (If you check my diary, you will see that it sometimes looks as though I went over - this is because my daily calorie limit has dropped since then).

For me this is important. I feel that each time I go over my limit, I will find it easier to do it the next time. Mind you, if there is a valid reason (I am a type-II diabetic), then I will certainly go over the limit - I just don't want to do it, unless it is necessary.

Also I eat most (if not all) of my "exercise" calories. You will see a lot of debate about this. I eat them, and I am losing weight - this works for me.

I also suggest taking some body measurements - sometimes you might not lose weight, but you will find you are losing inches. If the scales aren't moving, its great to see the other benefits.

You are on an exciting journey. However I warn you - you will need to start saving up - as before long, you will need new clothes, as your current clothes will be too big!!!
  • brentsblog
    brentsblog Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your weight loss remember you might see it as a long way to go but if you apply and dedicate yourself and learn about nutrition and healthy eating making a lifestyle change instead of a fad diet change that long way to go will come around quickly.

If you want to stay motivated enjoy what you are doing if you are getting bored look at ways of changing it up so much information on the net.

I took pictures of myself every month and had a weigh in every 2 weeks and recorded my measurements I could see the changes and this kept me going.

I also set goals reachable goals for example:

Jan 2011 I could barely run 200 metres without breaking down I said I am going to complete a 10km run I said ok what time would I like to complete that in

Anything under 60 minutes good job
    Anything under 55 mins awesome (This was my aim 55mins)
    Anything under 50 minutes bloody unreal.

I ended up getting under 50 minutes for my first 10km that feeling was amazing once I completed it I reflected back to how was before i started and to think I completed this run feelings like this is what keeps you going.

Once you do this for say 3 or months it will become a routine and be part of your daily life and before you know it you aren't thinking about doing it you just are.

I get up now at 5:20am to catch the train into the city and hit the gym before work I started doing this Jan 2011 and now its part of my lifestyle I wake up every morning at 5:15am before my alarm goes off why? because my body knows that its time as I said you end up not thinking just doing.

Good Luck.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:

It sounds like you have a sensible approach to this, I am sure you will find success if you stick with your plan. Dancing is a great fun way to work off a few calories, stick your headphones on and get jigging! :laugh:

Good luck on your journey!

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Wow! Thanks everyone! The friend requests have been pouring in and I'm feeling more motivated than ever!

It's so great to actually admit the size and weight I really am, even if it is anonymous and you receive encouragement rather than scorn! It's also really fantastic to hear that other people have conquered or are working towards the same goal as me.

I love MFP!
  • dnaul
    dnaul Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the same body type. I am proportioned well so people don't think I am that over weight when in fact I am clinically obese! Feel free to add me.