Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    nuts
  • RemakingMyself
    Options
    Protein powder from Walmart.

(Oh, sorry, just saw the no dairy. Tofu is good, too.)
  • paleojamie
    Options
    things are very expensive at the moment here in the UK !

Annoying really .. little things like cucumber being put up by 20p and stuff .. doesn't sound a lot but it's annoying.

and tuna is also expensive.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you find tuna too expensive try sliced ham, or sliced turkey/chicken breast.

Something worth thinking about is buying whole chicken from Aldi (small is £3:50 ish) and roasting it. For 2 people you can have a breast each for evening meal and a good portion each or the rest of the meat for lunch the following day.

Eggs are cheap and one of the highest protein to cals ratio for a non-meat item. Even better ratio if you just have the whites but the yolks are good for you and tasty, and so it is a shame to waste them.

Tinned mackerel in tomato sauce is good for protein and also provides a good dose of fish oil. They are pretty cheap and with some crackers make a great lunch.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Eggs

In that order :p
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tuna and hard boiled eggs - convenient, tasty and low in calories.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I went bought 5 tubs whey protein for £45.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I went bought 5 tubs whey protein for £45.

Bargain! What brand, how big and where from? :flowerforyou:
    Oh, and does it taste nice? :drinker:
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Super cheap:
    - cottage cheese
    - eggs
    - beans, lentils

Moderately cheap:
    - chicken breast
    - canned tuna or canned salmon
    - greek yogurt
    - mackarel fillets
    - cod filleds

anyway, I suggest the RELATIVELY cheap, pay attention to super cheap food, I wouldn't trust so much: powder derived dairies or eggs from intensive livestock farming for sure affect the quality of food we eat, not to mention other issues.

I suggest a smart STRATEGY to save your budget instead: alternate extra cheap with expensive source of proteins: salmon/tuna/GOOD eggs + lentils/beans. You fix in this way both the wallet and the variety problem :) In a few words, when it comes to NON VEG proteins put a few more money for good quality, weight out saving on VEG proteins (beans and co)
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i'm sure someone's said it already: BEANS! dried beans are especially cheap, if you have the time and wherewithall to remember to soak them! :)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    http://www.highproteinfoods.net/

Tripe, and liver are cheap as chips and an excellent source of protein.
  • paleojamie
    Options
    would love to be able to have whey, it would make things a lot easier .. why does it have to be derrived from milk!
  • rensker
    rensker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Something I found recently, and actually quite like: Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP). I get it from Bulk Barn where for $5 you get a gigantic bag (I don't really know the weight but its size is about 4L at least) and 1/4C is 80 cals with 12g protein. It's easy to make - basically use it instead of ground beef and it taste like whatever you put it in: chill, spaghetti, meat loaf, burgers, etc.

It used to have a bad rep, but I did a bunch of research on it and it's quite popular with vegetarians.
  • paleojamie
    Options
    wow seriously the USA sounds awesome! Am I right or what?

What's all these bargain bins you guys talk about, ans why don't we have them here in the uk?