Water. How much do we REALLY need to shed pounds?

Options
I found this article. It's worth the read: http://www.shapeupshop.com/weightloss/water-weight-loss.html

This is what I found the best information in there:
"Eight glasses a day? Are you kidding?!" It's really not that much. Eight 8-ounce glasses amount to about two quarts of water. This is okay for the average person, but if you're overweight, you should drink another eight ounces for every 25 pounds of excess weight you carry. You should also up this if you live in a hot climate or exercise very intensely.

And this:
When you drink all the water you need, you will very quickly notice a decrease in your appetite, possibly even on the first day! If you're serious about becoming leaner and healthier, drinking water is an absolute must. If you're doing everything else right and still not seeing results, this might just be what's missing.

Just My Two Cents...

~OWW~

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Last year before I reset my counter I lost slmost 20 lbs snd the only thing I had changed was wster intake :)
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You see my diary's. So you have a good idea of my water intake. I do notice the difference when I do not drink the full 9-10 glasses. :wink: Good information thanks.
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    this is one area I struggle with. Its winter here & although I do manage 6 glasses everyday but thats a very concious effort on my part.so 8 glasses is really pushing it for me :(
  • onewithwings
    Options
    It's not just 8 glasses of water. You add another 8 oz of water for every 25lbs you're overweight. I'm 75 lbs over weight so my daily intake it 11-12 glasses.

You really do learn to enjoy it. Try flavored waters or sparkling waters. I have those on occasion for something different. My favorite is "Talking Rain". It doesn't have artificial sweetners. Only the "essence" of the flavor.

~OWW~
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've cut out all beverages except for water, so I've been drinking about 6-8 cups a day,and I thought that was great! I guess I need to step it up!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I drink over a gallon of water a day, more if I've really worked out. I used to drink Diet Dr Pepper by the case, but now drink green tea or water throughout the day. If I have the calories I'll have a glass (or two) of red wine after dinner. I use almond milk on my oatmeal. Shifting to clear liquids over pop and away from cow's milk has helped me enormously.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was once told you should aim for an ounce of water for every pound - Holy Buckets! I wouldn't leave the bathroom. SO, I've been attempting to get about 75% of my body weight in ounces and I have to say that I actually crave water now. I can always tell when I'm under - back ache, headache, easily fatigued. Love me some water!
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great information. Thanks for posting. I'll be paying closer attention to my intake.
  • laurab68
    Options
    I've limited myself to one 8oz diet pepsi and the rest water. I do try to have a glass of Milk for calcium. I drink a ton of water when I work out, but it has to be cold!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this one, I need flavor, so flavoring it with 0 cal. Mio, it still counts as water right? I also drink a lot of tea, which is not water. When I do drink plain water, it has to be ice cold and purified. I actually get indigestion from drinking my cities tap water. Everyone laughs when I tell them water gives me heart burn, but it's true and it sucks! Any suggestions, for me?
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this one, I need flavor, so flavoring it with 0 cal. Mio, it still counts as water right? I also drink a lot of tea, which is not water. When I do drink plain water, it has to be ice cold and purified. I actually get indigestion from drinking my cities tap water. Everyone laughs when I tell them water gives me heart burn, but it's true and it sucks! Any suggestions, for me?

Do you have a filter at home? I have filtered water through the fridge and I'll fill up several sports bottles (bpa free of course) before I go to bed as I too like my water ice cold but I prefer it without ice (I know - crazy eh?). I also purchased a Camelbak bottle that has the filter in it and I keep it in my truck. This way if I ever find I am stuck out and about without water I can easily fill it up through any tap as I totally gag if I have to drink city water. About a year ago I swore off buying bottled water so I've found some tricks here and there.

As for the flavoring.... I'm afraid I'm of no help as I love plain ole water.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think I drink about a GALLON a day. I just refill my water bottle whenever it's empty.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Do you have a filter at home? I have filtered water through the fridge and I'll fill up several sports bottles (bpa free of course) before I go to bed as I too like my water ice cold but I prefer it without ice (I know - crazy eh?). I also purchased a Camelbak bottle that has the filter in it and I keep it in my truck. This way if I ever find I am stuck out and about without water I can easily fill it up through any tap as I totally gag if I have to drink city water. About a year ago I swore off buying bottled water so I've found some tricks here and there.

As for the flavoring.... I'm afraid I'm of no help as I love plain ole water.

The camelbak water bottle is the best thing ever.
  • PunkyRachel
    Options
    Lol my husband hates ice too, no matter what he's drinking if we out eating he requests no ice even. I have a water purifier pitcher I keep in the fridge. I've heard about the camelbak water bottle, but haven't got around to buy one yet. I have a couple water bottles, I take 2 to work, keep one in my works fridge and one with me. Usually one is full of crystal light and the other flavored with MIO. I'm slowly starting to get used to the boring taste of plain water, haven't used as much flavorings lately.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Flavored and/or enhanced water is a great idea for those who don't "like" plain water (I love it - but I know so many who hate it or are just SO BORED by it).

I love, love, love Sobe 0 Calorie Life Water. There are different flavors, each with different vitamins, minerals, etc. I have different kinds for different days - someties with electrolytes, sometimes with vitamin c, sometimes with B vitamins, sometimes with antioxidants, etc. Such a great way to get some added nutrients into the system, plus the water that we all need anyway.
  • PunkyRachel
    Options
    I think I get enough fluids in the day, I drink a cup of v8 fusion with breakfast, and 2 cups of green tea almost day, then
    I try to drink 2 water bottles (mine holds 36 oz) a day, but I usually have those filled with crystal light, or flavored with MIO energy. I have cut out sweet tea and soda,completely! I just not much for plain boring water :-/
  • KitchenBabe
    Options
    I was once told you should aim for an ounce of water for every pound - Holy Buckets! I wouldn't leave the bathroom. SO, I've been attempting to get about 75% of my body weight in ounces and I have to say that I actually crave water now. I can always tell when I'm under - back ache, headache, easily fatigued. Love me some water!

I use an insulated mug that has all sorts of water facts printed on it, and it says, among other things, to drink half your body weight in ounces of water. I fill it with ice in the morning and keep refilling it throughout the day, and if I DON'T drink as much as I am used to and as I should, I can really feel the difference--I'm much more tired, more fuzzy headed, all of it.

I have also found that I don't use the bathroom any more often, actually NOT as often, as my co-workers. Your body uses water in so many ways--skin and hair especially--and staying well hydrated makes a huge difference that way. I am routinely taken for 15 years younger than I am, and I am sure that's one of the reasons!
  • KitchenBabe
    Options

During the days I worked as a Diet Center counselor, I used to advise my clients to take a lemon or a lime and cut it into eight wedges or slices, and set them in a saucer in the fridge or on the counter. Every time they got a glass of water, they were supposed to drop in (squeeze in, if they liked the flavor, and I do) a piece of fruit, and when their fruit was all gone they knew they'd had their required water for the day. That helps a lot with the flavor issue and adds no calories to speak of.

I have a filter on my kitchen sink and just keep water bottles filled and chilled at all times. In the summer, I fill a bottle 1/3 of the way and then lay it on its side in the freezer, so it has an ice wedge running the length of it, and when I am getting ready to go hiking or biking I grab one and fill it the rest of the way. The ice keeps it cold during my exercise.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    One way I've found to keep my water intake way up there is to carry around a 32oz sport bottle. I start drinking it as soon as I wake up in the morning. I keep drinking until it's gone...usually around 10am. I refill and usually finish that one off with my lunch. I refill again, and by the time I finish my workout in the afternoon, that one is gone. I drink three minimum, but I usually end up refilling again after my workout and drink another whole bottle by bedtime. Yes, I pee alot, but it's worth it because I feel so much better when I'm getting plenty of water. Oh yeah, and, BONUS, I really notice a difference in my skin....it's sooo much healthier.
  • onewithwings
    Options
    Be careful with OVER hydrating. It's true that water helps the liver flush the stored fat out of your system. However, if you drink TOO much water, you will lose electrolytes. This happened to me once. I had flushed my system too much and ended up passing out at work. Getting carted off in an ambulance in front of your coworkers in NOT a fun!

My suggestion (IMHO) just stick to the 8 glasses PLUS 8 oz per 25 lbs over weight.

~OWW~