30 Day Shred-Suicide Mission?

Options

Replies

• EdithClark
    Options
    I'm very unfit....130+ lbs overweight. I'm on day 4 of the shred (level 1). It is hard...but I'm doing it. I took a rest day when I needed it, I'm doing the modified versions, and I'm jogging/marching in place during the cardio. Having alot of trouble with the jumping jacks right now. I'm also putting down the weights when I have to. I'm pushing myself hard, but not trying to kill myself! The first day I thought I was going to die, lol. But it is already becoming more bearable. If you want to, you CAN do it! Just make your own modifications. But make sure to push yourself, just not to the point of injury. As long as you keep moving, you will feel the benefits! The same is true of that and any other exercise! Good luck!
  • PrfctGdess
    Options
    The Shred is only about $7 on Amazon, and yes, you need hand weights, but you can reuse those. Or just do it without weights! You could hold a can of food in each hand instead and it'd be less intense. :P

Yes, you CAN see benefits from less intensive exercises for longer periods, but it will be very slow progress. If you're looking for some way to "jump start your enthusiasm" for getting healthier, that's going to be hard with slow progress. I'd say jump in and try it! Even at very unfit, you should be able to tell how you feel and what is "good" pushing it and what is "too much" - don't push it too much. If you're getting TOO tired, stop for a few seconds. If a move is too hard, modify it or do half as many. I still think the Shred is a great idea for seeing results.

I can tell you that you WILL notice a difference with it. Even if the scale doesn't move right away or you're not sure the inches are coming off, you WILL get stronger and you WILL notice it getting easier as you keep going. It's really inspiring to literally feel yourself getting stronger. :P

The only other tip I have is don't feel like you HAVE to do it all in 30 days if it's too hard. I'm doing it every-day-for-30-days now, but when I first started, I'd just do it 2-3x a week interspersed with other stuff. You'll still get stronger. :)

You can do this!! Good luck!
  • bbysars
    bbysars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Level 1 is actually on YouTube if you want to give it a try. I don think the first level is really as bad as some people make it out to be and it's only 25 minutes. It's worth a try.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    All I can say is don't give up!!! I did this DVD for 5 months straight and I was not the fittest when I started. Hard work pays off at least get throught the 30 days straight and then cycle through it again... but the key is consistancy!
  • brandiluharvey
    Options
    When I first started it I paused it probably 4 times just to catch my breath it was awful but then seriously after the first week I only would pause the video maybe one time. Your not alone. I used to be a smoker and I have never really exercised until now so I know exactly how you feel but if you are determined you will work through it. You know your limits just do what you can and the next time you do it it will be better. Now if I feel like I didn't do the best during the video then I will take a walk afterwards.
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You gotta start somewhere! Just try it, and think what a great feeling it will be in a few weeks when you remember back to the first time and celebrate your progress. Progress feels good!
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm unfit (100 lbs over weight) and Iv'e never exercised, EVER. Today is day 8 for me. The first 2 days were REALLY rough. I didn't get through the entire DVD on day 1. I only made it to circuit 3. Day 2 I made it to stretching. Day 3 I made it all the way. Now, I can do every exercise properly. I still feel like i'm dying, but surprisingly enough I REALLY ENJOY that feeling. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I was very out of shape. Went from the couch to 30DS. The first day I could barely do a modified pushup. After day 2 my leg muscles were screaming so I took a rest day. After I skipped a day, it started getting easier. By the time I did Day 6, I could do 15 real pushups. It is okay if you stop and huff and puff, just keep going and do as much as you can. When I got to level 2 and 3, I came across a few things I really couldn't do, I just substituted something else, like just marching in place, or squatting and punching. The key is to just get moving and keep moving. The first few days you will feel like you want to die, but if you push through, it will get better and probably surprisingly fast. And it is okay to take a rest day in between, you do not have to do it every day to see results. You could just take a walk on rest days or something lighter. It will just take you 60 days or however long, instead of 30.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    well my biggest fear is that I'm going to completely seize up! Or break something!
    Then it will just be a big fat waste of money!

I need a trial run!!

For a trial run have a look at You tube for level 1 :) I watched it in full before taking the plunge.

You have natural fears and it's understandable, personally crunches were my fears.. just working my core scared me - no idea why!! lol Now I'm well away and enjoy the ab work as it's a break from high cardio. lol

It WILL make you sweat, it will make you work - but even in short amounts you'll extend your time if you repeat it as it should be done and also if you read up on HIIT (high impact interval training I think it is) there are real benefits to doing lower level work out with bursts of higher levels.. like the C25k theory etc. So even if you do it moderately and occasionally throw in some more effort you'll be doing yourself good.

I think honestly you'll see progress and love that - I have and I do! I'm still obese so am carrying too much for my 5'3" and best time due to family is around 7.30pm but I'm tired by then before I start - still gets me going though and gets me sweating. :smile:
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I actually just tried it this morning and didn't even make it thru the first circuit. I was practically hyperventilating (I'm a NON smoker, just fat and outta shape). I have only been walking and then decided to try it, maybe need to start a little lower first

well done starting it - what you could do is take some rest time and carry one with what you feel you're able to handle? I didn't do the last minute of a circuit last night on level 2 as I really was beat. I don't mind, I had reasons such as lack of sleep night before etc, so it's a case of doing what you can and knowing that is good enough for now!

Good luck - stick with it and you'll see progress, even if you just get 30 seconds further in each time it'd be a great achievement.
  • davewiard
    Options
    You might check with your local library to see if they have what you're looking for. Built-in trial copy if they have it.

I was very overweight and my motivation to get started walking/jogging was our new puppy. She needed regular exercise and so did I. At that time, I was so out of shape I couldn't even jog from our house to the mail box which was about 6 houses away. Three years and 40 pounds later I can do a 5k almost every day. I started with very small, incremental goals. My first goal was to jog to the mailbox. Then it was to jog there and back. It took months before I was able to do any really substantial distance but I would go the same route frequently and tell myself to "go one more house today".

Just don't be too aggressive with your first week or two and give your muscles a chance to limber up and get used to the rigors. And always spend a few minutes stretching out before you start. Every video I've ever seen has a "warm-up time" at the beginning but every one of them is too short for proper stretching time.
  • bettbett87
    bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some really helpful and encouraging topics!

Thank you all so much, you're all brilliant. The determination you all show is amazing, keep up the good work.

I'll do what a couple of you said and watch level 1 on youtube. Then maybe I'll check out the library for a copy.

Thanks again, reallly really helpful!

xxx
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I know this topic has been talked to death now but I'm still thinking it over!
    I am VERY unfit- I'm a smoker and I'm overweight and lazy. I want something effective to kick start my enthusiasm for losing weight as the journey looks to long for me to even see the end right now!

I was just wondering, has anyone on here who is also REALLY unfit tried it? If so, how did they get on?

I can just see myself as a wheezing, crippled mess within 10 minutes...

Or should I just be sensible and stick with Davina for a little longer?
    Just do it ! Do what you can and if you can not do the exercise all the way to the end then just walk in place. Keep moving. Try it.
  • kelowry
    Options
    I have tired the 30 Day Shred almost killed me. I went to Target and got the SparkPeople 28 day boot camp, much better DVD... I think it is, you can follow Coach Nicole's workout plan... I love it lost 8 lbs doing it.
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    Options
    You can do it, you can do the modified version of the exercises until you feel comfortable, I just started level 2 and I wanted to kill Jillian several times during but I feel really good afterwards and I have seen a lot of people get really good results from this program. I wasn't that consistant with level one so it took me a while to get through it but I have a new attitude now. :smile:

Also I got mine off amazon for $7 with free shipping
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't have 30 day shred, but I do have 6 wk 6 pk and ripped in 30. Love her DVDs. I say JUST DO IT! So what if 30 day shred takes you 45 days or 60 days. So what if you are doing week 1 for 2 weeks. Just do it. If you can only do 10 min on day one...that's fine. How awesome will you feel when you can do 20 minutes?!

With the 2 DVDs I have, Jillian has 2 assistants. One does a modified, easier version and the other does an advanced super hard version. I usually do somewhere inbetween. I have bad knees and arthritis so I have to modify a few things...but still get an awesome workout.

So find a copy....and get started. Doing a little is better than doing nothing. I've seen results on me.....and haven't heard of anyone NOT seeing any results from doing her DVDs. You may be miserable doing them, but you'll feel great AFTERWARDS.

Good luck!
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Trust me- it's doable. Plus it's only 18 mins. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    I am doing the c25k at the mo, but one day when it was raining I did the 30DS level 1 and found it okay. But I have been building myself up slowly for the last 4 months with walking and jogging, so I am probably a little bit fitter by now (but not much!) I really want to finish the running programme but once I am confident I can do a 30 min run 3 times a week then I think I will add in the DVD on other days. Personally, I think 30 consecutive days is a bit too much - you might injure yourself and I get horribly overtired if exercise every day but then I've got two little kids so that probably doesn't help!!
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    By Day 4, you will start feeling stronger and less sore. Up to Day 4 though, it HURTS! It's an amazing video and it really gets you moving! I haven't finished it (ended up having to stop doing it for a while for something non-related), but plan to get back to it. By the way, after 5 days, my husband had a 1 pack! Doesn't sound like much, but super impressive that the video could do that for him.
  • MerBear30
    MerBear30 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If u just want to try it u can rent it from a local library. That's how i first tried mine. I really love it cuz it's only a 20 minute workout, but it does kick your butt!. I don't think it matters if u do it for the whole 30 days or longer, i pretty much do it every day just as my normal routine and i switch it up to whatever level i feel like doing. I have gotten awesome results and feel great.
    It does have different levels for you in the workout, too. There's one girl that does all the really really hard stuff and another that does modified less impact stuff. Still killer. It's a really great workout, I'd tell anyone to go ahead and try it.