Pullups (mostly for ladies)

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Lat pull down machine is the same movement, it might be a good start.
    This won't really help with core, however, which is very active in a pull up.
    Biceps and forearms might also need some work.

But as they say, the best way to get started is to do the actual exercise. Do you have anyone that can help you by holding your feet?

Unfortunately no. I don't really know anyone at my gym, but I'm willing to do the work to get my body strong enough to do it. I'm open for suggestions on how to improve core strength, back, and arms if you have them.

Having a goal of "do 10 pullups by April" is great motivation for me to stick with it and make progress.

just an FYI... 10 pull ups in a row is a lot. i can barely do that many in a row.

I'm aiming high, but if I manage to do just 1 by then, I'll be happy. I like having big goals.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Lat pull down machine is the same movement, it might be a good start.
    This won't really help with core, however, which is very active in a pull up.
    Biceps and forearms might also need some work.

But as they say, the best way to get started is to do the actual exercise. Do you have anyone that can help you by holding your feet?

Unfortunately no. I don't really know anyone at my gym, but I'm willing to do the work to get my body strong enough to do it. I'm open for suggestions on how to improve core strength, back, and arms if you have them.

Having a goal of "do 10 pullups by April" is great motivation for me to stick with it and make progress.

dead lifts will help a little. that article also mentions body weight rows, really great advice.

Sweet. I did my first set of Romanian deadlifts today at 80lbs, which is pretty awesome for me. I'm hoping to be able to eventually deadlift my body weight (goal weight at least) of 150.

that's great, once you get pullups right it will be a great complement to your routine.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been working towards that goal myself. I used the assisted pullup thingie at the gym. I started with about half my body weight, so 70# at the time, in July and worked down from there. I'm now able to do them with just 10# of assistance. Can't quite make it without, but I'm close.

I joke that if I didn't have a head, I could do one. But if I didn't have a head, it wouldn't matter.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You can use resistance bands to do assisted pullups. Over time you will need less and less assitance, until you're finally able to do them unassisted.

I've never use them. How do I use them?

Take the band and put it over the bar. Pull one side through the other and pull it tight. Put your foot through the loop in the bottom and ta da!
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93gNrOhy5KU) See the video for how the band goes on.

I also just did general strength training as well to help me get my dead hang pull ups, as well as negative pull ups (start up at the top position of a pull up and slowly control yourself down.)
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am starting P90X classic (again) tomorrow... at the end of the three months my main goal is to be able to do FIVE pull ups w/o the support of a chair ....but I'll be happy with one! I can do zero now!!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Between New Rules, adding some weight assisted pull ups (went down on weight at my last workout, win!) and doing the Nerd Fitness suggestions, my goal is at least one by Tough Mudder on May 18. To me that seems like a stretch. On the weight assist I'm only lifting 100#'s of my own weight. On the NF style, I'm not hardly at a 30 degree angle. But. I'll get there.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Use a chair to support you, also pullovers will help strengthen your lats.

^^^ this. It helps me now. Ive almost to the point where I can do them without a chair
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There was an older guy at the gym where I used to workout. He said ONE pullup might save your life someday. That comment has always stuck with me! I can't do one, yet! But I have a question. i did look at the nerdfitness link, and the pictures show him doing the pullup/chinup with an overhand grip. At the gym, I found using an underhanded grip (with assistance) was easier. Does it matter? Is it just working a different muscle? Is one way "cheating"?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    There was an older guy at the gym where I used to workout. He said ONE pullup might save your life someday. That comment has always stuck with me! I can't do one, yet! But I have a question. i did look at the nerdfitness link, and the pictures show him doing the pullup/chinup with an overhand grip. At the gym, I found using an underhanded grip (with assistance) was easier. Does it matter? Is it just working a different muscle? Is one way "cheating"?

Underhand is called a "chin up" and it is much easier. Pullups are overhand.

Chinups are good too! :)
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options

LMAO! Thank you! Yes, a chin up is much easier! I was hoping they were the same, just using different muscles. LOL...guess i better try for the pullup!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

chin ups are excellent. the pull up is harder because there are a lot of back and shoulder muscles involved.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Marking
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been following the Nerd Fitness pull-up program for a little while now, and am slowly getting there. I've always wanted to be able to do pull ups...they are by far the coolest looking exercise IMO.
  • gbass442
    gbass442 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wife and I do p90x also.. I bought this product for both of us. It helps her accomplish her goals and it helps me do extra when I am exhausted and still want to work.

http://www.lifelineusa.com/products/pullup-revolution.html

it is a great product, and I think exactly what you are looking for.
  • thesuperchunk
    Options
    Good link from nerdfitness, just what I was looking for, thanks.

I can do 7 pullups. I can do 8 sets of 7 pullups back to back. I can do 7 pullups 20 times a week for months and months, and then I can still do 7 pullups. No matter what I do I just can't seem to progress on pullups and it's driving me bat****. I'm at the point where I'm ready to train specifically for pullups just to get over this damn hump.

I think for some of us they are just plain hard for whatever reason. Compared to my chinups, pushups, curls and whatnot it's a horrible weak spot for me.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

I can do 7 pullups. I can do 8 sets of 7 pullups back to back. I can do 7 pullups 20 times a week for months and months, and then I can still do 7 pullups. No matter what I do I just can't seem to progress on pullups and it's driving me bat****. I'm at the point where I'm ready to train specifically for pullups just to get over this damn hump.

I think for some of us they are just plain hard for whatever reason. Compared to my chinups, pushups, curls and whatnot it's a horrible weak spot for me.

I've never been able to do more than 2 pullups even when I was superfit.

It's good to have a goal like this to push you to a new level of fitness.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

try getting a weight belt and adding some weight to your pull ups. also helps for dips too.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

try getting a weight belt and adding some weight to your pull ups. also helps for dips too.

I'm the same, most I can do with going all the way down to a dead position is 8-10..

Adding weight helps the workout for sure. I expect that when I lose a few more lbs with the increased weight I'll be up to 12 soon.

If you're just adding 10,20,30lbs to start, then you can use a single dumbell, hold between your feet - just be careful of cramps if you hold it weird, sometimes my hamstrings tighten up. After that a weight belt or vest helps for sure as @engineman suggested
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    is it just me, or does it seem like people with shorter arms seem to have an easier time with pullups? Could just be my lame excuse for why I can't do one. :tongue:

Another goal to add to my list!

Angie