Is it overkill?

Options

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Obviously you need to familiarize yourself with being disagreed with and being attacked. I am completely disagreeing with your statement. That does not mean I am attacking you as a person. I haven't even call you a name.

yet.

win.

These types of comments are a form of attacking...
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Good work man. Someone your size can probably do it - because you presumably have lots of fat to lose and therefore vast energy store!

Be careful not to binge and make sure you are calculating your calories correctly both in and out. You may be over estimating your exercise calories (especially on an elliptical).

DO STRENGTH TRAINING - much better at good (fat) weight loss and have those muscles ripping out your BMR.
    NOT that I am attacking you, but just because you have LOTS of fat to lose does not mean you can run a large deficit. Plenty of studies show the body will but just about everything but fat first. Large deficits basically mean you are working against yourself by working out.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Obviously you need to familiarize yourself with being disagreed with and being attacked. I am completely disagreeing with your statement. That does not mean I am attacking you as a person. I haven't even call you a name.

yet.

win.

These types of comments are a form of attacking...

awww, no ... i was just agreeing that you weren't being attacked by his winning comment of "you need to familiarize yourself with being disagreed with and being attacked". and of course that you haven't yet been called a name. (yet != will)

:flowerforyou:
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    awww, no ... i was just agreeing that you weren't being attacked by his winning comment of "you need to familiarize yourself with being disagreed with and being attacked". and of course that you haven't yet been called a name. (yet != will)

:flowerforyou:
    You know me too well. Today I have my good Samaritan hat on...so I am avoiding name calling...for now.
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    your brain needs 500 cals to function properly, brain damage won't help you lose weight

The brain may need 500 cal to function but I promise you he has more than 500 cals of stored fat and potential muscle at 6'2" and 317 lbs. Please don't use ignorance and scare tactics. You are only disseminating misinformation. He his not going to wind up with brain damage from overtraining!!

How dare you....that was totally uncalled for soemone else posted this on the site and she is a neuro-psychologist...don't eb rude to me he asked so I shared a fact with him not as a scare tactic but as a helpful MFP member so keep your rudeness to yourself please

I don't think I was being rude at all. You posted something you saw that someone else posted that claimed to know the science behind it. There is no documented proof that working out leads to brain damage. That is just ignorant!

Unless you have proof too why dont you give your own information and leave mine alone

No brain damage will occur. Protein from muscles will be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. If our bodies were unable to adapt to things like this, we would have been extinct thousands of years ago.

hmmm food for thought
  • lind3400
    Options
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    your brain needs 500 cals to function properly, brain damage won't help you lose weight

The brain may need 500 cal to function but I promise you he has more than 500 cals of stored fat and potential muscle at 6'2" and 317 lbs. Please don't use ignorance and scare tactics. You are only disseminating misinformation. He his not going to wind up with brain damage from overtraining!!

How dare you....that was totally uncalled for soemone else posted this on the site and she is a neuro-psychologist...don't eb rude to me he asked so I shared a fact with him not as a scare tactic but as a helpful MFP member so keep your rudeness to yourself please

I don't think I was being rude at all. You posted something you saw that someone else posted that claimed to know the science behind it. There is no documented proof that working out leads to brain damage. That is just ignorant!

Unless you have proof too why dont you give your own information and leave mine alone

No brain damage will occur. Protein from muscles will be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. If our bodies were unable to adapt to things like this, we would have been extinct thousands of years ago.

hmmm food for thought
    I see what you did there.
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    on second thought- didn't want to be the the downer draging it out even more- the day is to nice and we all have an opinion...back to life:wink:
  • lind3400
    Options
    on second thought- didn't want to be the the downer draging it out even more- the day is to nice and we all have an opinion...back to life:wink:

I think the OP would we happy about that since none of this banter answered his question at all
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Starvation causes your brain to shrink and eventually when you blow your nose...it comes out! Gasp.

Nope. I don't have proof, but because it is now in the interweb, it must be true. I live by occam's razor. The person making the extraordinary claim must back it with proof.

You know what worse case scenario he eats at least 500 cals a day...OMG i destroyed his life...

But now some other new person looking for an excuse not to exercise now has one because they read on the internet that working out too much could cause brain damage.

No what I'm trying to discourage that over exercising and starvation is damaging to all organs in your body including your precious brain....

The body has an amazing ability to prioritize what tissues are most required and therefore would not draw upon the brain until LONG after fat and muscle stores are completely depleted. Even at that point, it would still draw upon other less essential organs before drawing upon gray matter. Essentially, if his body reaches that point then he has basically already starved himself to death. At 317 lbs, it will be quite awhile before we need to worry about that, don't you think? Assuming that his body fat % is around 50% then he has 158.5 lbs worth of energy to draw upon first. A lb is equivalent to 3500 calories, therefore, his body would have to burn 554,750 calories AFTER the food he eats.

You saw something on a thread that is a fact and then made an extreme assumption based on it. All I am asking is that you think logically about these statements before you make them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I think the OP would we happy about that since none of this banter answered his question at all

And I am fairly certain I did answer the OP's question. Over-training can lead to injury on the muscles and joints... but not brain damage.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Starvation causes your brain to shrink and eventually when you blow your nose...it comes out! Gasp.

Nope. I don't have proof, but because it is now in the interweb, it must be true. I live by occam's razor. The person making the extraordinary claim must back it with proof.

You know what worse case scenario he eats at least 500 cals a day...OMG i destroyed his life...

But now some other new person looking for an excuse not to exercise now has one because they read on the internet that working out too much could cause brain damage.

No what I'm trying to discourage that over exercising and starvation is damaging to all organs in your body including your precious brain....

The body has an amazing ability to prioritize what tissues are most required and therefore would not draw upon the brain until LONG after fat and muscle stores are completely depleted. Even at that point, it would still draw upon other less essential organs before drawing upon gray matter. Essentially, if his body reaches that point then he has basically already starved himself to death. At 317 lbs, it will be quite awhile before we need to worry about that, don't you think? Assuming that his body fat % is around 50% then he has 158.5 lbs worth of energy to draw upon first. A lb is equivalent to 3500 calories, therefore, his body would have to burn 554,750 calories AFTER the food he eats.

You saw something on a thread that is a fact and then made an extreme assumption based on it. All I am asking is that you think logically about these statements before you make them.

Especially considering the OP is starving himself by CHOICE. The absolute worst case for him is he gets to a point where he no longer has the energy to exercise without increasing his food intake or he gets so overwhelmed with hunger that he binges.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So I've been wondering if my workout is a bit ... drastic. I've been lurking in the forums, reading other plans but I haven't found one like mine.

Basically, I try to burn off just about everything I eat calorie wise. I'd do 90 minutes a day on the elliptical at max (mine is Level 25) and I usually hit 2000+ every morning. I don't feel beat up from it or worn out. I'm keeping myself within the heart rate I should be for my age and I eat between 1500 to 1800 calories on average.

Anyone doing something similar or have any advice?

So if you burn off everything you eat, what, may I ask, does your body use as energy from calories for simple things such as heartbeat, brain function and all the functions that your internal organs HAVE to complete?

Not only what you are doing is overkill, it is downright dangerous and I am not talking about any starvation mode either!

Does it matter the order in which I do it? For example, I work out in the morning after eating breakfast and the rest of the day I'm pretty much working my desk job. I eat snacks, drink water and green tea, and eat normal meals throughout the day.

If you work every calorie off during a workout that leaves nought calories for the day - now where are the calories going to come from to keep your body working? It doesn't matter what order you do things in, what matters is that you have calories left in order for your body to function outside the gym.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

This ^ is what I am on about OP.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    So I've been wondering if my workout is a bit ... drastic. I've been lurking in the forums, reading other plans but I haven't found one like mine.

Basically, I try to burn off just about everything I eat calorie wise. I'd do 90 minutes a day on the elliptical at max (mine is Level 25) and I usually hit 2000+ every morning. I don't feel beat up from it or worn out. I'm keeping myself within the heart rate I should be for my age and I eat between 1500 to 1800 calories on average.

So if you burn off everything you eat, what, may I ask, does your body use as energy from calories for simple things such as heartbeat, brain function and all the functions that your internal organs HAVE to complete?

Not only what you are doing is overkill, it is downright dangerous and I am not talking about any starvation mode either!

Does it matter the order in which I do it? For example, I work out in the morning after eating breakfast and the rest of the day I'm pretty much working my desk job. I eat snacks, drink water and green tea, and eat normal meals throughout the day.

If you work every calorie off during a workout that leaves nought calories for the day - now where are the calories going to come from to keep your body working? It doesn't matter what order you do things in, what matters is that you have calories left in order for your body to function outside the gym.

It also depends on how his body is oxidizing carbohydrates vs. fat. If he is under-feeding, his body is going to spare glucose from exercise in order to fuel the brain, leading to increased fat oxidation. So its not like all his glycogen stores are being used to fuel the workouts, but a lot of it is coming from fat stores. People with larger fat stores can afford to burn more fat in a given day than someone in a more lean state.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

EDIT: I guess I should have said I'm burning off close to what I'm projected to be eating (right now it's 2100, I get between 1900 and 2000) then the rest of the day I eat.

I have gone through the same thing. If you look at my ticker I have lost alot of weight. This was done by exercising about 3 hours a day and eating low calorie. My net calorie intake was never more than 500 and most days I was in a negative net . Sure I lost alot of weight, I got downright thin and loved it! but then my body started to get smart. With no change on my part i started to gain weight in spurts. I gained 9 lbs in a 2 week period and no matter what I did I could not get that weight off. I even tried going super low carb but all i did was make myself sick. Now over 2 years I have gained a total of 15lbs back. This is not a whole lot but to someone who was as heavy as I was I have serious self image problems. I am still working on trying to fix the mess I made. My body is all out of whack.

I am not sure how long you have been doing this but my advice is to stop! Go slow. Workout an hour a day, only do 3 days a week at that high level and make sure you weight train at least 2 times a week. I would say up your daily net to maybe 2200 on days that you workout and keep it at 1900 on days that you do not.

If I knew then what I knew now I would have done things differently because honestly I feel worse about my body image now than when i was heavy. Losing weight that fast really messed things up.

I just wanted to let you know the perspective of someone who did the same thing. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I hope I can help
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You said you eat about 1500 to 1800 calories per day. I'm 112 lbs, 5' 1.5" and eat 1200-1500 per day. Still don't get how it works...but it does....you need to eat to lose. I'm losing and getting bigger muscles. Search the forums for heavy lifting.
  • lind3400
    Options

And I am fairly certain I did answer the OP's question. Over-training can lead to injury on the muscles and joints... but not brain damage.

You know what your absolutely right... I had no right to make my comment as I had absolutely no fact to back it up, you have obviously done your research and come up with some very valuable information that definitely proves my point irrelavant and ridiculous...I will refrain from posting answers that lack the necessary background information
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Especially considering the OP is starving himself by CHOICE. The absolute worst case for him is he gets to a point where he no longer has the energy to exercise without increasing his food intake or he gets so overwhelmed with hunger that he binges.

I actually explained that to the OP by PM but, yes, that is what happens. Inevitably, assuming the OP does not obtain an injury from overworking the muscles and joints, the body will reach a point at which it cannot continue to draw only upon fat stores. At that time, his workouts will be less effective and he will struggle to find the strength and energy for them unless he eats more calories.

Naturally, you understand that burning more calories than consuming is not actually starvation. There are energy requirements for exercise that can be met by excess fat stores in the beginning. But as the body depletes them, it will become more dependent upon food for energy. If the body is deprived at that point, then it will not perform as well as before and it will be obvious. Along with having the ability to prioritize energy resources, the body also has the ability to inform us when we are not providing it with what it needs to properly function. If you ignore those signs and continue to force your body in spite of the physical suffering that you cause yourself, THEN you could be classified as suffering from an ED. Eating disorders are a psychological dysfunction and not a physical one which I think many people on this website fail to understand.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Really,... who throws a shoe anyway?