Chicken left out over night? eat or no?

Options

Replies

• TurnLeftNow
    Options
    Ick, I would say no. Even cooked chicken shouldn't reach the "danger zone" for more than a couple hours. That's kind of dangerous. I mean I am sure you won't die or anything, but that's not really safe to eat.
  • BevP123
    BevP123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, especially when we've had a roast and there's no room in the fridge. Obviously there's a risk but isn't that the same with everything? If you eat and it makes you sick there's no guarantee it was the chicken anyway, so many bugs going around you can get just as sick from thin air....just my opinion. Why waste food?
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Ah well - at least any food poisoning will probably lead to weight loss :wink:
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Ah well - at least any food poisoning will probably lead to weight loss :wink:
    lol, and a day off work...
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hi.. i work as a cook in a childrens play centre, the guidelines are it should be kept in a fridge and i would never serve it to the children but i have eaten it myself and it was fine. suppose it depends how warm your room is.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    umm, yeah 12 hours is nothing. You will be more than fine. I have left food on the stove for 24 hours after cooking it (I'm a bachelor, dont judge me)

Once cooked, you have about 24 hours to put the stuff back into the fridge. Ofcourse it depend son the dish, the more...liquidy the higher the chances it'll go bad faster. Also depends on the temperature. The colder your kitchen is, the longer it'll last.

The best thing to do (and the reason humans have this amazing technology) is to just snif it. I ALWAYS snif food before putting it in fridge and snif it before eating
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ach - If it were me I would eat it. I don't tend to adhere to the rules too much. I wouldn't serve it to a child/old person/guest :)

I used to work in the food industry and am fully aware of the rules - temps and 20 minute rule etc, but I don't always apply it to myself at home.

Report back :)
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I had too many microbiology classes. I say no. But I have issues because I know what bacteria could be growing.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/help/faqs_hotline_preparation/index.asp#6 <---they agree with me ;-)
  • chub_b_gone
    chub_b_gone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    With out a doubt do not eat it. If its left out for that long most likely its growing bacteria regardless of being in a container or not. It may work for pizza but meat, not so much.
  • Urwin123
    Options
    I wouldnt eat it if your gona have it cold but just reheat it adequately, you'll be fine !
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Does it look like this?
    640px-Moldy_chicken.JPG
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ya, but I just ate around all that lol...no it does notlol
  • cameroncody49426
    Options
    Throw it out. No sense in risking Salmonella.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I wouldn't even think about eating it.
  • brentsblog
    brentsblog Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I live by this saying

If in doubt throw it out
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Does it look like this?
    640px-Moldy_chicken.JPG

It's fine, the lovely green fur adds fiber and helps prevent you from getting a cold.
  • HendersonDavid
    Options
    Me personally have had chicken that was in my frig for a week after cooking. If you really don't want it then don't eat it. But if you do want to ingest it, microwave that bird on high.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Definitely not! It will have been I. The danger zone (5 and 60 degrees Celsius) for more than 20 minutes. You will make yourself sick

Have to ask, are you saying that even if it was in the fridge (lets assume fridge is 7 Celsius) overnight that you would not eat it?
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had too many microbiology classes. I say no. But I have issues because I know what bacteria could be growing.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/help/faqs_hotline_preparation/index.asp#6 <---they agree with me ;-)

Ok for all of us who believed it was ok, go look at the link above. You know, ignorance is bliss some time!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ah no. I would not. I am very picky in my food care. I don't like being sick.