Accuracy of Exercise Calories Burned

Options
So I recently joined gym and noticed that the # of calories the machines at the gym show I've burned are usually far less than what MFP calculates. I have been going with the #s the machines at the gym show me but does anyone know which is more accurate or which you feel more confident in choosing to go with? Any help or suggestions would be super appreciated! :)

Replies

• johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How much less? 5% 10%?

I would tend to go with what the machine said because I want to be conservative about the estimate, but the machine may not "know" your weight. It may not know your age, whether your movements are efficient, and a variety of other factors. I just googled the topic and found a claim that the fitness machines tend to actually overestimate the calories in most studies.

What machines are you using? Do you input any information about weight, age, gender, etc.?
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my bike always shows less than what MFP says....but I use MFP becasue I have always wondered how that machine is going to know how many calories I have burned since it doesn't know my age, weight, etc
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    personally (if i didnt have my HRM), i would go by the machines if it asked for age/weight/etc..
    when i use the elliptical, my HRM gives me a lower number than the machine (anywhere from 20-100 calories). MFP would give me as much as 400 more..
  • mollyb33
    Options
    I've heard it mentioned by several people who have HRM that say MFP is a little too giving when it comes to calories burned. Most of the time I base my numbers on the machine or HRM because it knows the speed, intensity, and effort I actually put in versus a general number submitted by another individual.
  • diana_marie8302
    diana_marie8302 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The machines I've used ask for weight but don't ask for age and they also have HRM in the machines.... so does that change anyone's answers?