Start, Stop, Start, Stop

I'm so frustrated! I swear everyday I say "ok, today's the day. I'm going to get with the program and eat healthy until I hit my goal weight!" Then, without fail I screw up around dinner and snack time...its like I don't have will power or something! haha!

Any suggestions on how I can make it through my evenings at home without bombing on my program?

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    I had the same problem. Now I skip breakfast and use those calories in the evening. Seems to be working. I always found that once I eat breakfast I am hungry all day and all night long.
  • I need constant accountability. I have an accountability partner (well, now a herd of them!) and we keep tabs on each other. I'm also a coach now and run monthly accountability groups on Facebook. Without other people cheering me on, I fall off the wagon too!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    It is all mental. You have to hit the breaking point, the point where you can't stand being overweight anymore. Period. The desire to lose the weight becomes more powerful than the urge to snack. That's where the willpower comes from. I had about 4 or 5 false starts when losing weight. I'd stick with it for a few days, maybe. Finally I decided I was being ridiculous, it was my own fault that I was carrying an extra 30 pounds, and I needed to do something about it. So I did. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    When you are ready, you'll do it.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    I had the same problem, I would start then I would bomb out bad, you have to be ready, you have to be the one to say enough is enough, and it will be hard at first but once you get to a small milestone like goinging down one notch in your belt, or smalled jeans it becomes addictive, I have been on my journey since November the last time i restarted lol I have lost 11 lbs so far, and I actually just had my first relaps this weekend, and I was just sitting there eating all the worng food and it made me feel sluggish, tired and just gross, and just that feeling alone made me remember why I did not want to be fat in the first place. You just have to stick to it, thank god when I cook healthy my BF loves all the food so I hope everyone in your house is on board with you it makes it a whole lot easier. Good luck
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Try planning your day the night before, inputting all of your meals and snacks. Make sure to keep a bunch of the snacks to the end of the day, so you can stick to your calorie goals without going over.

If it's just mindless eating, then try taking a walk or doing a workout dvd or reading a book when those cravings hit. Another trick is to keep drinking water - it'll fill you up which might help.

Other than that, it's just a battle of mind over stomach! Hang in there!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    ... or check out intermittent fasting... (Eat Stop Eat, or the Warrior Diet, etc...)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    I'm so frustrated! I swear everyday I say "ok, today's the day. I'm going to get with the program and eat healthy until I hit my goal weight!" Then, without fail I screw up around dinner and snack time...its like I don't have will power or something! haha!

Any suggestions on how I can make it through my evenings at home without bombing on my program?

Every day you don't stick £5/$5 in a jar, a bit like a swear box... Make it an affordable but not insignificant value to make you really think. When you hit your goal weight, use that money on a non food extravagance.
  • maxzorro
    maxzorro Posts: 23 Member
    I do the same thing!!! I'm good all day and then blow it at night. The idea about skipping breakfast is a good one because it has worked for me in the past. I know it doesn't sound healthy but if you are the type of person that likes to snack a lot in the evening (like me!) then it's best to save as many calories as you can until the end of the day.

Every morning I wake up and the first thing I think is "what did I eat yesterday...did I stay on track?". It's so depressing when you remember that you ate waaayyy too many calories :(
  • I've solved this by not denying myself.
    I get to eat some chocolate, but not an entire bar of it for example.
    For me it isn't a diet - it's a lifestyle change. Small steps are better than a huge change overnight that you don't stick to.