Any Other Guys Take Fitness Classes...?

Options

Replies

• sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I do! I do lots of classes. Sometimes I'm the only one but usually there's at least a few 'regulars'. It was intimidating at first but now I dont really care. I do spinning 3-4X/week, a boot camp type class 2X/week, and occasionally kickboxing (but they changed the time so its harder to make it there). Three of those classes are also followed by a 15 min Core class. Heck, I even tried one of my wife's Zumba classes recently - me and 27 ladies - lol! Have done yoga a few times but the gal is an extremist and I cant tolerate her style, plus they aren't offered at good times for me.

I agree, they are usually very tough and more guys should experience that. My health/fitness has gone up exponentially since I started all these classes and I tell all the guys I can to come try it. Feel free to friend me!

How are the 15 min core classes? There is one today and I am thinking about getting there early to do it. It's called Absoglutely - so I am assuming it's abs and *kitten*.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    All of the cardio intense classes I have taken have been 50/50 men and women, i.e. cycle, circuit training. But the less intense more choerographed ones are mostly women, with one brave man, i.e. Zumba and Body Step. LOL :)
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Replying for my husband......yes, he takes all of the same fitness classes that I do. Power sculpting (only guy and hardest class he does), kickboxing, cardio fusion, spinning, pilates, yoga, adrenaline, boot camp, etc. There might be a lot of women (or only women) in these classes but folks, it isn't for sissies!

Hubby also does weight training three times a week.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My cousin's husband is addicted to Zumba and Body Sculpt...it's working he's lost a TON of weight and yes he's the only guy in the class!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I would love to see more men in my spin classes.
  • sbaker72
    sbaker72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love Spin Class :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I used to take aqua-fit, I was the only guy and the youngest in the class by 3 decades, by the time I stopped going there was a good mix of guys in there and a much wider variety of ages ;)

I also have taken spin and stretch afterwards...
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I instruct at a group fitness center. We have never had a single guy show up. Not one! I think it would be awesome, though!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I do! I do lots of classes. Sometimes I'm the only one but usually there's at least a few 'regulars'. It was intimidating at first but now I dont really care. I do spinning 3-4X/week, a boot camp type class 2X/week, and occasionally kickboxing (but they changed the time so its harder to make it there). Three of those classes are also followed by a 15 min Core class. Heck, I even tried one of my wife's Zumba classes recently - me and 27 ladies - lol! Have done yoga a few times but the gal is an extremist and I cant tolerate her style, plus they aren't offered at good times for me.

I agree, they are usually very tough and more guys should experience that. My health/fitness has gone up exponentially since I started all these classes and I tell all the guys I can to come try it. Feel free to friend me!

Core is my least favorite to do, but that's because it's what I need the most so it sucks because its hard! For a while I was SO sore but now its better. Amazing how slow 15min goes..... Your core is VERY important and often neglected so I would encourage you to do it (and keep at it).

How are the 15 min core classes? There is one today and I am thinking about getting there early to do it. It's called Absoglutely - so I am assuming it's abs and *kitten*.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    There's only 1 guy in my Zumba class, he always stands directly behind the nicely sculpted, hot little instructor so I'm not sure he's there just for the Zumba :laugh: but there are several guys in my kickboxing class!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've done a few Zumba classes with my good lady and it was a total scream, I must have lost more calories laughing. It was good fun and I did not make a total fool of myself, but 285lb of uncoordinated me going the opposite to *everybody* else must have been a sight!
  • lmcenin
    Options
    probably depends on the place. My gym has almost 30 to 50% men in yoga and pilates classes. I think a lot of men would take the classes of they knew others would. Good for you!
  • triplejay1
    triplejay1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would take classes, my gym offers them.... if i had more time....and money LOL
  • sdrawkcabynot
    Options
    I've done a few Zumba classes with my good lady and it was a total scream, I must have lost more calories laughing. It was good fun and I did not make a total fool of myself, but 285lb of uncoordinated me going the opposite to *everybody* else must have been a sight!

I lol'd at this one! lol
  • sdrawkcabynot
    Options
    I would take classes, my gym offers them.... if i had more time....and money LOL

I take mine at the rec center... it's the best bang for my buck. I pay 50 bucks and can take as many classes that I want a month and also get unlimited use of the gym. I know 50 is a little steep but if you consider most gym memberships are 30+ dollars and then the classes can be anywhere from 50 to 100 a month... i am actually getting a killer deal!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I imagine that fitness class is the equivalent of the free weight part of the gym for the girl......very scary LOL.

I only take one class and it is body pump.....about 30% guys.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I take a Body Combat class every week to switch up my circuit training and regular cardio. I have a lot of fun at that class and it is super intense! I am pretty much the only guy in it too haha
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I take several classes, and the one with the most guys, I would say about 50:% guys, is the boxing/karate class. The funny thing is, it's taught by a female! But she is so good and tough and knows what she is doing so the guys don't look at it as sissy at all. Nobody does.

In my other classes, about 3 out of 10 are guys. Most guys spend too much time in the weight room. They don't know what a great workout these classes give you.
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I do a bootcamp and im the only guy in there. It can be intimidating the first time you walk into a class full of woman and they all know each other, but the gym I go to the ladies have been friendly and helpful. :smile:
  • sdrawkcabynot
    Options
    I take several classes, and the one with the most guys, I would say about 50:% guys, is the boxing/karate class. The funny thing is, it's taught by a female! But she is so good and tough and knows what she is doing so the guys don't look at it as sissy at all. Nobody does.

In my other classes, about 3 out of 10 are guys. Most guys spend too much time in the weight room. They don't know what a great workout these classes give you.

I bought an HRM and the Piloxing class for 40 mins burned 700 calories and I used every muscle in my body... compared to the AMT(Adaptive Motion Trainer) for 40 mins burned 100 less calories and used a hell of a lot less muscles!