Any Other Guys Take Fitness Classes...?

Options
13»

Replies

• brenteesha
    Options
    I would take fitness classes if I had proper transportation... but without a car, it's not really an option right now. However, the desire is there! So you are definitely not alone. I've observed a lot of workout classes on YouTube, and I only ever see 1 or 2 guys in a class of 15 or so... it seems to be like that most places.

Here is my theory... a majority of women are interested in losing weight, and a majority of men are interested in building muscle mass. While this isn't completely true for both groups, I believe it is a fair generalization of the majority. Because mostly women are taking these classes, I believe men tend to feel that it isn't macho or manly enough... which obviously isn't true. Just another stereotype that needs to be corrected!

If we lived way closer, I'd totally be your workout class buddy! (:
  • mbw2586
    Options
    I can promise you ... you are also a horrible dancer when drinking - you just don't care! :p hahaha.

I have passed on the Zumba classes but my roommate does them.

Ha! You are 100% correct :)
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Oh more guys should take fitness classes!! I got one of my guy friends to start coming to step class with me because I promised he would work up an incredible sweat as well as get to check out the hot ladies and now he loves it! We do all sorts of cardio classes together as well as power yoga and now he goes to classes with or without me and all the ladies love him!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Oh more guys should take fitness classes!! I got one of my guy friends to start coming to step class with me because I promised he would work up an incredible sweat as well as get to check out the hot ladies and now he loves it! We do all sorts of cardio classes together as well as power yoga and now he goes to classes with or without me and all the ladies love him!

It's true - as the only guy in most of the classes - it's like I am a mascot. Haha.

Case and point for why to do the classes
    - 175 calories burned in a 15 min Absoglutely class
    - 917 calories burned in a Fit Camp Fusion class
    and because my heart rate was still up ...
    I burned 222 calories running for 15 miles
    and 348 for 35 mins of weight training.

For a total of 1662... i couldn't have done that with an elliptical in that amount of time! And I got my calories from a HRM - Polar FT4.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I imagine that fitness class is the equivalent of the free weight part of the gym for the girl......very scary LOL.

I only take one class and it is body pump.....about 30% guys.

Same here for body pump. I actually get a little satisfaction seeing the guys say it's hard afterwards and it motivating and pushes me to keep going.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I take 2 classes a week:
    - TRX & Kettlebell - 2 other guys in the class
    - Spin, Butts & Guts - 1 other guy in the class. I was the only guy in the last session I did.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I take the Zumba, cy-go, spin, and yoga classes when I can and usually there is 1-3 guys for every 20 women. But our weight room usually has 2 women to every 10 guys in it. Given I'm one of the two. :) I love it when the guys first try it and start huffing. They seemed so surprised to get in exercise doing "girly" things.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    lol - too funny! I'm in the same boat. I think I have done about 5 or 6 different classes at the gym just to see what they are about.
    I'm now a regular in about 4 of them but I'm usually the solo guy there, every once in a while there is another guy in there.
    I don't get it.
    Some of the workouts are just killer.
    And,ok Ill say it (Im sure it will get an eye roll from the women here!!) sometimes the eye candy is not a bad thing :happy:
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    lol - too funny! I'm in the same boat. I think I have done about 5 or 6 different classes at the gym just to see what they are about.
    I'm now a regular in about 4 of them but I'm usually the solo guy there, every once in a while there is another guy in there.
    I don't get it.
    Some of the workouts are just killer.
    And,ok Ill say it (Im sure it will get an eye roll from the women here!!) sometimes the eye candy is not a bad thing :happy:

I like the fact that the classes are intense... it's a lot of lower body strength building with the cardio... and the fact that being a guy - you don't wanna look like a puss in front of all the women in there!