Starving!!!!!

Options
Wondering if there is anyone out there that can suggest ways to stave off the binge beast. Most days I am fine but sometimes.....like today, I feel like a bottomless pit.

I have tried everything...I have increased my water intake, eaten more fresh vegi's, you name it and I have done it, but it just doesn't seem to help. It seems like the more I eat the hungrier I get and it is not just the uncomfortable "man I could really use something to eat" feeling. It is the "OMG if I don't eat I feel like I am going to pass out" feeling. It gets so bad my head hurts, I get a stomach ache, and I can't concentrate.

Any suggestions would be so much appreciated!!!

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    protein is your friend :)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Your hormones naturally fluctuate making you hungry some days and less hungry others. Listen to your body and make good choices; it will all even out.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! If the hunger is that extreme, you probably need the extra calories! Just find some healthy alternatives: chicken, tuna, fruits, almonds, etc.
  • Orangecupcake
    Orangecupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fiber? It would be much easier to see if you opened your diary.:smile:
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Protein is definitely your friend!! :) I like to blend frozen berries with protein powder and water for a quick fix to help me get through the day :)
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    what is your calorie goal for the day? you may not be eating enough. i was doing this for awhile as well.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    This is an excerpt from my profile page...if it sounds anything like what you are going through...just think about it and give it a try:

I spent about 8 months trying to loose the last 20lbs....eating from 1200, then went to 1350 and then 1500 and bounced up and down 3lbs...whined, cried, complained...you name it. Then one day, I read an excerpt from "New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women" and it totally broke down why eating less and exercising more reeks havoc on our bodies...why I was then in starvation mode and wasn't loosing weight. So based on the information I raised my non-workout caloric intake to 1800 and on my workout days I eat a minimum of 2000 but have gone as high as 2500. I have one cheat day on the weekend where I don't track. It broke down why CARBS ARE IMPORTANT AND PROTEIN TOO...and I adopted the 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat ratios. I eat no less than 30gr of fiber a day. I always drink a protein shake after every workout.

I now lift way heavier, never feel hungry or deprived, I stopped carb binging, and what I have started doing is loosing fat, gaining muscle, have lost inches and the weight loss is pretty steady. So, I am a huge proponent of EATING MORE to WEIGH LESS.
  • ashisgonnaloseit
    ashisgonnaloseit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Protein is definitely your friend!! :) I like to blend frozen berries with protein powder and water for a quick fix to help me get through the day :)

That is a great idea! I usually eat a few wheat crackers with some peanut butter. It is a great mid-afternoon snack. :smile:
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    Eat more protein and eat fiber. The two help me feel full. But I feel your pain because I've had days where I just felt hungry no matter how much I ate. Another option is to go for a 10-15 minute walk? Hang in there!
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I had a day like that yesterday. I ate so much that I then had no choice but to go far a walk to even everything out:cry: Then I ended up under my calorific goal. But today I haven't been hungry to distraction.
    Problem is that today I have loads of spare calories and don't know what to eat to stay healthy. It's all a bit complicatted really!:huh: :frown: :frown:
    I am going to keep trying to get it right.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options

That is a great idea! I usually eat a few wheat crackers with some peanut butter. It is a great mid-afternoon snack. :smile:

I thought peanut butter was a real bad food to have. I have given it up, I really miss it.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

I do this also, with a few variations :)
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    That is exactly how I feel today!
  • CarmelinaCastano
    Options
    I'm new to fitness pal, but not new to dieting. My suggesstion is 1st: make sure you're on the right calorie count. 2nd: plan your meals the night before. It's sometimes better to eat several times a day in small portions. This way your body always has food.. for example, I'm snaking on yellow pepper, red onion, celery, parsley, one eggwhite and vinegar salad right now.. just to get me through until dinner. good luck
  • vabrewer33
    Options

I thought peanut butter was a real bad food to have. I have given it up, I really miss it.

Peanut butter is ok but in moderation-you really have to watch serving size but if you use it sparingly it can be a great protein!
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Peanut butter in and of itself is not a bad thing -- no nut butters are. Just read the label and avoid the ones with added sugar.
  • onek9lover
    Options
    Go drink a coffee or a tea... coffee especially... or a big huge glass or two of crystal light.
  • jjohnboy2000
    jjohnboy2000 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I felt like that today, which is the first time since I started doing MFP properly on the 8/1/12. I had a bowl of Oats so simple with berries. That made a difference.

The advice about walking is also good. At lunch time I would wander into the town and go a shop and get chocolate. Now I walk along the prom for 40 minutes and have not craved chocolate.

Hope this helps.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Peanut butter is ok but in moderation-you really have to watch serving size but if you use it sparingly it can be a great protein!

Peanut butter has the good fats in it (real peanut butter). It's not bad.
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you gone from eating lots of processed foods to lots of whole foods? Your "hunger symptoms" sound like you could be going through withdrawl from the processed foods too....just a thought.