Hi I am about to be up front and honest...

Options

Replies

• musicmartha
    musicmartha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go along with the PP who said that a good portion of it is mental!

I have finally found my motivation...I don't like seeing 200 on the scale! I need to be healthy for my 2 kids and husband and it's something I have to be mentally and physically into. I've been doing Zumba for 2.5 years and still haven't lost weight...but I'm pretty sure the calories in were still more than calories out.

You need to find your motivation and do it for you! And start slow. Start with upping your water intake. And try 6 smaller meals instead of 3 large ones (I have found this really cuts down on my cravings). Remember portion control and measure, measure, measure.

If you want to add me, we can share food ideas and motivate!

Martha
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Make small changes every week. Build on your successes and try not to wallow in your failures. Do cry but keep moving! You'll get there eventually. These things take time. You can do it!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I agree there is so good info here, but it's bad form to suggest all other suggestions be thrown out as irrelevant. There have been jewels in hear about things that can be done to succeed. We all can attest to these successes, just like in this post you agree so much in. Each of us has a different key to our weight loss lock, and we need to find that key ... or key combination.

Bottom line, I like the post ... accept the part that suggests all other posts are wrong.

I never said they were wrong. I am PURELY stating that if you do not get the right Mental state, you will not have success.

You can lead a horse to water...
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

I agree there is so good info here, but it's bad form to suggest all other suggestions be thrown out as irrelevant. There have been jewels in hear about things that can be done to succeed. We all can attest to these successes, just like in this post you agree so much in. Each of us has a different key to our weight loss lock, and we need to find that key ... or key combination.

Bottom line, I like the post ... accept the part that suggests all other posts are wrong.

I never said they were wrong. I am PURELY stating that if you do not get the right Mental state, you will not have success.

You can lead a horse to water...

Thanks for clarifying, because what you said and what you meant were 2 different things. What you said is, "There's some good stuff here....but if you want honest...brutally honest....stop listening to ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!! "
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Set yourself up for success by having the proper goals and expectations.
    Know that youll have to eat better and sleep better first and foremost!
    Then worry about working out.
  • ff1diver
    ff1diver Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My kitty has on SCUBA equipment...Molly (my cat) loves the water!!!
  • samanthakre
    Options
    You asked for brutal honesty, so I will give it to you with no sugar coating. You will HAVE to give up many of the things you love to lose the weight You will HAVE to exercise on a regular basis. You may allow a cheat day once a week or every other week, but you can't eat junk every day and expect to lose. Won't happen, dear. You'll being wearing that same outfit forever. UNLESS you get disciplined Decide what plan you want to follow and just DO IT. Crying and whining won't do it for you. MFP friends won't do it for you. Only YOU can do it. And I know you can. .

Great advice, and the only thing that has worked for me so far! A support system is awesome, but you have to develop a can-do attitude and get right back up. We all stumble now and again, but don't stay on the ground. :)
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Someone said it comes down to are YOU ready because you have to be ready. And I completely agree. I have been unhappy with my weight for years now. I cried about it and got down on myself about it and finally one day, I just reached my breaking point and said, "Today is that day." After nearly 4 YEARS of feeling like crap and trying halfheartedly to watch what I eat then just quitting the next day. Now I'm 2 pounds away from losing 20 pounds with 50 to go after that.
    I have to say, it's worth it. Even now, only 20 pounds lighter, I look at myself totally differently in the mirror. I honestly believe I look good in my clothes. I feel amazing, which is really important. I can run up my stairs and not be out of breath.
    Every 10 pounds I lose is a mini-victory and I treat it as such with a reward. A new pair of shoes is just 2 pounds away! I have to still cash in on my first 10 pounds and get that massage but I know that I get to treat myself!
  • tsaustin
    tsaustin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok, if you want honesty...here it comes. You need to stop making excuses for yourself. You need to figure out what you want to do and stick to it. If calorie counting is what you want to do....then do it. I made excuses for years and all it did was make me eat more because I was so frustrated with myself. If you go over your calories before dinner, then you need to exercise harder. Do you exercise? It can be done you just have to sacrifice. You can't eat what you, don't exercise and wonder why you don't lose wieght. So tonight write down your plan. Read it every morning and stick to it. Start tomorrow and stop making excuses.

You can add me as a friend. I would be happy to give you some honesty if that motivates you.
  • shastapina
    shastapina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You asked for brutal honesty, so I will give it to you with no sugar coating. You will HAVE to give up many of the things you love to lose the weight You will HAVE to exercise on a regular basis. You may allow a cheat day once a week or every other week, but you can't eat junk every day and expect to lose. Won't happen, dear. You'll being wearing that same outfit forever. UNLESS you get disciplined Decide what plan you want to follow and just DO IT. Crying and whining won't do it for you. MFP friends won't do it for you. Only YOU can do it. And I know you can. .

This is the answer and well put....Good Luck on your journey and take one day at a time :)
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    do descending carbs.... carbs for breakfast. aka cereal, oatmeal, etc. GOOD carbs... multi grain stuff!

slight carbs for lunch. Half a sandwich on whole wheat bread and a salad, or fresh fruit

NO CARBS for dinner! Lean protein such as fish, turkey or chicken. and some steamed veggies!

Carbs are great for burning NOW... so unless you plan on working out after dinner... I would not have any carbs with Dinner.

This was recommended by my doctor... I DID NOT make this up.

I truly believe you are on to something. You have the lost lbs to back it up, which might I add ( you are truly inspirational). I can't stand people who say do it clean. Say that to a person who is an emotional eater, if you believe that you can no longer enjoy what you eat this will not be a lifestyle change it will be jail. Some people need carbs especially if you don't want to lose alot of muscle quickly and have a ton of skin.
  • jomiley23
    Options
    I am DONE DONE DONE and SICK SICK SICK of living this way..I have gotten to now where I don't even want to go to church because I am sick of wearing the same thing every Sunday :(..time to do this once and for all

"No temptation has overtaken you except that which is common to man. And God is faithful to provide a way of escape." 1 Corinthians 10...

That temptation to cave is common to every person on this site. Some are just taking their way of escape through consistency in diet and exercise. You have not failed. I know this because you are still wrestling. There is still time.

At your age, you will likely eat 50,000 more meals and snacks in your lifetime. Who says that you have to eat each meal like it's the last one? There will always be pizza and chocolate and all those things. But here is your escape hatch: "I love ME more than pizza. I love my CHILDREN more than chocolate. I love my GOD more than anything."

TAKE IT!!
  • takehomepay
    takehomepay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Things changed for me when I got fed up being whipped around by the food.
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    WHAT THE HELL DO I NO IM FAT AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Hi, last year in Jan, I decided I had to do something to feel better and lose weight. So, I started out small, I still eat the same foods that I love, just in smaller portions. I started exercising, walk around the block, do the elliptical. First week, I just went around 1 block, next week 2 blocks, etc etc. I kept my calories around 1200 a day, just mentally in my mind. Here it is so much easier. Well, last year I lost 28 pounds in 5 months. then I kinda went off the wagon, we took a cruise and I ate like a pig, my Dad went into the hospital so many 2 hour drives to see him and eating just fast food, but I still exercised the easy way and kept the weight off! I was just told about this site a week and a half ago and I love that it keeps track for me. Easy to do. I know in my hear you can do it too. Just don't give up! It is easy to give up when we have a "slip", but just get right back on the right way. Add me as a friend if you like and we can encourage each other.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The first day I started, I was eating Pringles and chocolate for breakfast. I literally stopped after several of each. I downloaded MFP, logged it and moved on. I did not say I would start over the next week or even the next day. I stopped mid-meal and started over. If I have a bad moment, I rework my moment or at the very least, start over on the next meal.

My goal is to have a cheat meal once every 2 weeks and see if my body can handle that. It requires planning. I have, however eaten out and stayed within my limits. I plan ahead as often as possible.

I recommend spending some time creating a list of foods you like that are lower in calories. Having a list helps keep you out of a rut AND gets you motivated because you realize there is a lot you are willing and love to eat that are just better choices.

Another thing to think about is mini-goals. Your few weeks might just be about logging and counting calories. Then after you analyze your data, you can make another mini-goal to add on and practice. You could add water as a goal, exercise, keeping calories down, increasing protein or fiber, eating breakfast, creating a better alternative list for snacks, etc.

Although you have to make the commitment yourself and be READY, your goals can change and add on throughout.
  • dnaul
    dnaul Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many mind games I play with myself. I need to loose 50+ lbs. If you want to be friends, feel free to add me.
  • cspark1982
    Options
    It's pretty simple input vs output. Plus you have to be in the right mindset to do it. I've tried a couple of times over the last couple of years and it just wasn't. Working mentally I wasnt in the right headspace. How ever now I am and Im out 6 days a week exercising for at least an hour and eating right

You are more then welcom t,o add me to
  • NalasMama
    Options
    WHAT THE HELL DO I NO IM FAT AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!! I just spit water on my laptop when I read this post above! This website is a GREAT place to start so you found the first greatest place to begin with your weight loss. Obviously there's a lot of people with a great sense of humor. You have to plan your day, hold yourself accountable for what you eat, how to exercise, and by using this awesome site you CAN accomplish what you feel may be unthinkable! Even going for a walk around your neighborhood is a start. I have a dog so I HAVE to take her for walks or she drives me batty!! You can have the foods you love, but you HAVE to use portion control. I have a handy food scale that cost me $5 at Wal-Mart and it was a great purchase. I can measure out the ounces of chicken, or veggies, etc.

It's been a bit easier for me because I have over 50 food allergies. I cannot eat beef, pork, glutens, dairy, and SO many more food items that I find it difficult at times to feed myself properly. You can do this... you want it pretty bad so put the work into yourself. Don't you deserve to be happy? If this weight is making you miserable than YOU hold the key to your happiness so stop putting of what you can do today. Stop the craziness of deciding throughout the week what your weight loss plan is going to be because it will be whatever you have near you to eat. Several people have stressed the importance of drinking water. THIS IS A MUST or you will feel hungry and reach for those beloved Cheetos! I know what I am going to eat the day before I eat it and this website is awesome because you can input the food items, the portion, and see what calories, fat, sodium, etc you've choose for each meal of the day. If you're not active, start a little at a time. If you go, excuse my French, "Balls to the Wall" you're going to be sore, miserable, and will swear off exercise. I've been there done that my husband can attest to my ability to overdo it in the beginning.

My heart rate monitor motivates me because it's pretty awesome to see the calories just burning throughout the day. Also, seeing muscle develop wear "jiggly" stuff used to reside is pretty awesome!! My other HUGE motivator is losing some of my extra weight that I've put on since having 5, going on 6 surgeries since January 2011. Being diagnosed with breast cancer was a huge eye opener for me and I prefer to choose healthier options to put in my body. Maybe I feel as if I have control over what is taking place in my body again. I am trying to lose more weight before my final surgery this April. If I do... AWESOME! If I don't, I'll have to wait for all my restrictions to be lifted before exercising, but I CAN watch what I decide to eat on a daily basis.

Please add me as a friend if you need support. I have a wonderful group of women that have been amazing on short journey through My Fitness Pal.

[
  • lynndimarco
    Options
    So true...well said!