How should I calculate??

Options
I have been taking the stairs at work, instead of the elevator. I walked up and then back down 8 flights (in heels, lol)! Is there a way to calculate it? I feel like I should be able to, since I felt like I was going into cardiac arrest at the top, haha! :noway:

Replies

• BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    try looking for running stairs under cardio
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a heart rate monitor :smile:
  • mysticwonder
    Options
    Get a decent pedometer! The Fitbit is pretty good, plus it uploads your activities, like the stairs, to your MFP account. I'm using the MYTRAK M2 and it's really keeping me aware of my activities, calories burned and counts my daily steps.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you're generally trying to get more active at work by doing things like this, I'd suggest just bumping your activity level up 1. I'll assume you're on sedentary like 80% of people choose, so make it lightly active (which is where the majority should be anyway)
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 heart rate monitor (HRM) is awesome. Using it will teach you to recognize in your body when you are working at optimal level. You plug in your weight and everything. You'll also learn how much calories something burns. At my weight, each minute climbing stairs nets me 10 calories burned and that is an awesome burn. Multiply that by 60 and I've burned 600 calories in an hour.

You look much smaller than me so your burn will be lower but still, compared to other exercises, stairs will give you the most bang for your cardio buck. Next exercise in line which also builds inside core muscles so is a two-fer - planks!!!

Good luck! - Debra
  • irishbabe_78
    irishbabe_78 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i have been looking into different HRM. Some of them are just sooo expensive... :(