Colonics? worth it or not?

Options
Hey everyone this is so weird to ask but I have never been ... regular and after 2 kids have a lot of belly fat. I have been on weight watchers for 10 months and only lost like 8lbs after a baby . I seen onine how colonics can clean you out, help you feel better or more regular and get rid of some tummy puff. I was wondering if anyone as had them and if they are helpful or not?

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone this is so weird to ask but I have never been ... regular and after 2 kids have a lot of belly fat. I have been on weight watchers for 10 months and only lost like 8lbs after a baby . I seen onine how colonics can clean you out, help you feel better or more regular and get rid of some tummy puff. I was wondering if anyone as had them and if they are helpful or not?

helpful? No and often dangerous. Only thing that gets rid of "tummy puff" is losing fat pounds through diet and exercise. You can drop some quick pounds through colonics but that's mainly because they dehydrate you. And you gain back when you rehydrate.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If all we had to do to manage our weight & bellies was get colonics, then we wouldn't need this site.

Run away, run far away.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When ever i want to "clean my colon" i just poop. Surprise pooping is the answer.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Really, really, there are a million better ways to lose weight than paying someone to stick a hose up your *kitten*. Please don't, just keep on track with diet and exercise.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Surprise pooping is the answer.

I am not a fan of surprise poops.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Since you have never been regular, I'll address that.

Pooping is good for you. As a former once a week pooper, I can tell you for certain that if you aren't regular, you'll be bloated and heavy feeling.

Take some Miralax - 1 capful a day. See your doctor if you don't go after a few days, if your stool continues to be hard, and also discuss thsi with your doctor at your next appointment.

I take my miralax in my afternoon coffee. It has no taste, no texture, etc.
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A colonoscopy prep will clean you RIGHT on out... and you don't have to pay a ton of money for it and as uncomfortable as it was it wasn't anywhere near as bad as a colonic. I did it because it was a right of passage - part of turning 50 and actually GETTING a colonoscopy.

The only thing I lost weight from was fasting that day, the second I started eating again the couple of pounds I lost was right back on. I did feel great for a few days afterwards though! I almost did it again when I started this diet.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Colonics do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for weight loss. It puts you in an imbalance of electrolytes, which could land you in the hospital, it can dehydrate you, and it could perforate your colon, which will put you on a surgical table if you live long enough to get to the hospital!
  • hklaquadra
    Options
    Colonics do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for weight loss. It puts you in an imbalance of electrolytes, which could land you in the hospital, it can dehydrate you, and it could perforate your colon, which will put you on a surgical table if you live long enough to get to the hospital!

Yeah! What Hotch said!
  • cassblue21
    Options
    Honestly this is the first time I am seeing anything negative about them. I have had a couple of them over the years and it did feel great to be "cleaned out". But it will not fix anything long term. Make sure you are drinking enough water, dehydration will cause constipation and so will a lot of supplements so it may take some weeding out, but it could be something easy to fix. Also taking probiotics should help as well. Hope you get things figured out!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm so regular that it's almost irregular and I still have a belly pooch. Just eat right, exercise (possibly stop paying for WW since you can get the same service for free here on MFP) and you'll weight will eventually come off. I've lost 20 pounds this year already and my son just turned 1 last week. Of course I'm also incredibly obese so the weight currently comes off easier for me than others.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Also, I thought of something that may be helpful, rather than just going EEEK.

My youngest child was quite large when born, and I had a massive bump, which left me with my abdominals slightly separated for a while after the birth. The midwife recommended that I do an exercise (I forget the proper name for it) which involves first inhaling and puffing your tummy out, then exhaling and pulling your bellybutton in toward your spine as much as possible. She also said to avoid crunches for a bit, as they would not help. and might be counterproductive in this situation.

This really did help, and after roughly a month or so of doing this diligently, I moved on to planks, and happily wear a bikini these days.

If you feel this is you, the answer is strengthening your muscles again, not colonics.
  • hklaquadra
    Options
    Get some (don't laugh) Smooth Move tea. It's an herbal laxative tea that you drink at night and then the next morning you will "move". I found it in Walgreen's in the laxative area. And it definitely works, sometimes a little too well!
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Take some Miralax - 1 capful a day. See your doctor if you don't go after a few days, if your stool continues to be hard, and also discuss thsi with your doctor at your next appointment.

I take my miralax in my afternoon coffee. It has no taste, no texture, etc.

Just make sure with Miralax that you drink A LOT of water/liquid not only when you take it, but throughout the day. The stuff works wonders IF you have enough water behind it ... otherwise the stuff turns into "cement" and just adds to the problem.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about colonics but enemas can be great for cleaning out blockages and yeast in the colon. This actually helps reduce cravings.

Essential oils, coffee, probiotics, and supplements like msm can be added and have a better chance at being absorbed than being swallowed. The only pressure with enemas is gravity so it's very safe.

This helps fight infections and even preventing cancer as well by detoxifying the liver, restoring intestinal flora, and speeding up healing.
  • Katie3784
    Options
    I have had colonics in the past when I was majorly constipated. I don't believe they do anything to promote regularity, and they can actually flush out the good bacteria that does keep you regular. I would recommend a high fiber, high water diet. I used to have really bad constipation and became dependent on enemas. For a full year, I did not go without one. I finally decided to try the fiber thing, and it really really worked. I get my fiber from fruits, veggies, high fiber bread, and I also love Fiber one products like cereal and chewy bars. Once I started consuming a lot of fiber(between 60 and 80 grams a day), I was going great within about 3-4 days, and I have never looked back. I don't want to brag, but my BMs are perfect. I have been doing this for almost three years, but you have got to drink a lot of water or it can make your problem worse. IMO, colonics are a waste of a lot of money.
  • recker80
    recker80 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also, I thought of something that may be helpful, rather than just going EEEK.

My youngest child was quite large when born, and I had a massive bump, which left me with my abdominals slightly separated for a while after the birth. The midwife recommended that I do an exercise (I forget the proper name for it) which involves first inhaling and puffing your tummy out, then exhaling and pulling your bellybutton in toward your spine as much as possible. She also said to avoid crunches for a bit, as they would not help. and might be counterproductive in this situation.

This really did help, and after roughly a month or so of doing this diligently, I moved on to planks, and happily wear a bikini these days.

I think this sounds like abdominal vacuum. it really does help and i also suck in my gut all day and it makes my abs tighter.
    ps- yes lots of fiber does work, sometimes it takes a few days to have a BM but after about 2 weeks you should be very regular. mirilax does work too. but fiber should be in everyones diet. most Americans dont get enough fiber 30-40 is recommended per day, and since fiber isnt digested the same way as other carbs and helps balance out blood sugars, more wont hurt you. good luck
    If you feel this is you, the answer is strengthening your muscles again, not colonics.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about colonics but enemas can be great for cleaning out blockages and yeast in the colon. This actually helps reduce cravings.

Essential oils, coffee, probiotics, and supplements like msm can be added and have a better chance at being absorbed than being swallowed. The only pressure with enemas is gravity so it's very safe.

This helps fight infections and even preventing cancer as well by detoxifying the liver, restoring intestinal flora, and speeding up healing.

Where did you get this info?!?!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Any time you see the words "cleanse", "toxins", "detoxify", etc, immediately take the following actions:

1. Firmly grasp your wallet or purse with both hands.

2. Run like hell in the opposite direction.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

Where did you get this info?!?!

http://www.optimalhealthnetwork.com/
This discussion has been closed.