cake upset

Options
so it was my cousins birthday and i splurged and had maybe 3oz of cake it might have even been less. then when i plugged it in it made my calories go over 200 for the day. Idk would taking 500 calories for the cake be enough or should i do more?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Huh?

I'm really not sure what you're asking....

Are you saying that you want to over-estimate the calories of the cake to be on the safe side? Or are you asking if you should do 500 calories of exercise to burn off the cake?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No big deal. It happens. You're just going to reach your ultimate weight goal about 1 hour later than originally planned.
  • truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    if 500 calories are enough for the cake?
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    for my calorie log in
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's hard to estimate cake without a recipe. Move on. Cake happens. We all like cake. It's just one day!
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hard to say... it would depend on the kind cake, how much icing, any filling, etc

whenever I have to guess with very little info, I try to find a similar cake (like Sara Lee or Cheesecake Factory) online and use those calories
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

I see. :smile:

Unless you eat cake regularly, I wouldn't worry too much about just one time. Just go with what MFP gives you.
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    yeah true plus i gave blood today and found out that i have lost a total of 1.5 lbs so far and i just started last tuesday so i have only been on the program for a week. plus i have been going under my calorie goal so this is the first time i went over or even came close to my goal. guess i shouldnt beat myself up over it too much
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. A couple of hundred extra calories once in a while really doesn't make any difference.
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    thanks that doesnt make me feel as bad as i did. i hate that i even splurged on it.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    From Livestrong.com
    Serving of cake being about 2 1/4 ounces
    Nutrition information on sheet cake varies by type. A serving of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting contains 235 calories, 10.5 g of total fat, and 3.05 g of saturated fat, according to Fat Secret. Yellow cake with vanilla frosting, by contrast, contains 239 calories, 9.8 g of total fat, and a mere 1.5 g of saturated fat.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/319459-how-many-calories-in-a-serving-of-sheet-cake/#ixzz1n4Ne8xNK

Hope this helps!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I had a red velvet cupcake today, felt really bad so I got my *kitten* moving on the treadmill and lifted some weights and poof, its all gone!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You've been way under eating on the other days anyway. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    yeah true plus i gave blood today and found out that i have lost a total of 1.5 lbs so far and i just started last tuesday so i have only been on the program for a week. plus i have been going under my calorie goal so this is the first time i went over or even came close to my goal. guess i shouldnt beat myself up over it too much
    Giving blood is about 600 calories....so you are good. This is a process...live and learn.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    First, GREAT JOB on the first few pounds lost!

I can see how it can be confusing because when you type in "birthday cake" or just "cake" there are so many different types to choose out of the database. It's difficult to measure and guess when you are in a setting like a birthday party. And like everyone has said, 200 calories once is not going to make much of a difference.

Good luck on your journey!!! :smile:
  • isabellatheo32
    Options
    There are moments to eat cake! Smile, be glad you enjoyed some time with your family and move on. In the long run it's decisions made over weeks and months. Not the occasional special occasion :)
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    Thanks all i love that this site gives me so much support it helps me more then words could ever say. i have always struggled with my weight and think that i finally found the support that i need.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    By the way.. the calorie goal is the number you are trying to reach. Don't try to stay under it by 600calories everyday like you have been. MFP already has your deficit figured in.
  • catherinergrunden
    catherinergrunden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Giving blood is about 600 calories...

Oooh! I'm gonna stop working out and give blood EVERY DAY! 'Cause you get to eat cookies after giving blood, too, right?!
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    Hahaha i didnt eat anything like that after i gave blood but yeah people eat stuff high in sugar lol