not really a runner...

Options
Ok so I would LOVE to be a runner. It seems like such a great way to burn calories. Problem is, I don't really have anywhere to run other than our local High school track which I live close to. Soooo. I tried to run the other day and thought I was going to die!!! I could only run 1/2 lap then walk a while. Run 1/2 lap then walk again. I'm sure it's better than nothing but I would like to really be able to run a distance. Any advice on how to build up to it??? Also I get this crazy pain in my side and I feel so winded, like I cant breathe. That is usually what stops me, cause I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest. Should that go away after a while, or should I just stick to a fast pace walk? Any advice would be helpful. thanks!!

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either and I just started attempting it. I had been previously doing the elliptical for 30-60 mins a day, and one day I just decided to run. Started at 5mph and I barely made it to 1/2 mile. The next time I tried it was a little easier. You know when you first start working out and your legs feel like lead until your endorphins kick in? That's what happens I've found...if I can make it though the initial leg pain, it gets better. It's all about the breathing after that.

I get side-stitches too...I've ran through them, but I find that slowing makes them go away.

I would just keep doing what you're doing...run as far as you can until you can't stand it anymore...rest..then try again! At least that's what I've been doing...perhaps some real runners out there can give you better advice! :blushing:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the beginnings of running. First off, there are several programs out there that you can running; Couch to 5K, Runnerworld.com, etc. Second off the pain in the side is due to erractic breathing. Chances are you started off too fast. The key to running is learning how to pace yourself. You can do this with a normal watch or a heart rate monitor. Try running but keeping your heart rate between 55-65% of your maximum.

It is not an unreasonable goal. Doing little bitts of running and walking cycles will still burn a lot of calories. However, it is not about starting at a 5 min mile pace and running 3miles. It does take time and dedication. Track is one of the best places to start. It is flat and cushy on your feet.

I suggest a book by Bill Rogers called "Lifetime of Running". There is a lot of good information in there.

Good Luck and Happy Running.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    another tip...run the straights and walk the curves of the track.

another thing...i run about 4 miles a day around my neighborhood and parks and stuff. WELL, I decided to run the track the other day and barely eeked out 2 miles. it was nuts! i walked the last 3 miles. so i wonder if it's the track. i can't stand looking at the track. i love running the neighborhood because it's scenic and there's always something new. :bigsmile:

hope this helps!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

another thing...i run about 4 miles a day around my neighborhood and parks and stuff. WELL, I decided to run the track the other day and barely eeked out 2 miles. it was nuts! i walked the last 3 miles. so i wonder if it's the track. i can't stand looking at the track. i love running the neighborhood because it's scenic and there's always something new. :bigsmile:

hope this helps!

Tracks are great for speed workout but I need music or people around. I can't spin in circles any more than I can run on a treadmill. My brain gets bored and I can't occupy myself with anything else around. Talk radio works really well in these situations too. I get so frustrated with what people are saying I keep running. :laugh:
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I know exactly how you feel. When I started working out consistantly last fall, I ran one block and thought my lungs were going to explode! So I just started out walking briskly and up hills. I did this for awhile (and if you walk briskly and keep your heart rate up, it's GREAT exercise! I lost about 30 pounds just from walking!) and became much stronger from it. I then added in running little by little. I started out running 1 block, walking 1 block, etc. And then I ran 2 blocks, walked 1, ran 2, etc. I'm still not at a full mile but I'm on my way!
    Maybe you could run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes, etc. Then work your way up to running 2 minutes, walking 1 minutes, etc. And then Running 3 minutes, walking 1 minute and so on.

If you've never really been a runner, you shouldn't try to run a mile your first time. This will only frustrate you. You need to work your way up to it. Also, I read something that was really helpful. When you're trying to work up to running a long distance, don't try and run really fast. When you do this, you get tired faster and then tend to give up easier. So slow it down a little. I literally had to concentrate and make myself slow down and now I don't even have to think about it!

It's totally possible to become a runner! I used to hate running and now I'm really starting to enjoy it! :happy:

Good luck and you can do this!!! :happy:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ok so I would LOVE to be a runner. It seems like such a great way to burn calories. Problem is, I don't really have anywhere to run other than our local High school track which I live close to. Soooo. I tried to run the other day and thought I was going to die!!! I could only run 1/2 lap then walk a while. Run 1/2 lap then walk again. I'm sure it's better than nothing but I would like to really be able to run a distance. Any advice on how to build up to it??? Also I get this crazy pain in my side and I feel so winded, like I cant breathe. That is usually what stops me, cause I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest. Should that go away after a while, or should I just stick to a fast pace walk? Any advice would be helpful. thanks!!

Actually, you ARE a runner. That's how many people start out.

Here's what you have to remember: running--even at a relatively slow pace like 5 mph--is pretty intense exercise. For example, running at 5 mph requires more than TWICE the aerobic effort as walking at 4 mph.

Since there is no way to "gradually" ramp up the effort when you start running, most beginners have to start by doing it in small chunks.

How small? Whatever it takes for you to get started and not feel completely out of control. Someone mentioned running the straights (on a track) and walking the curves. That's about 100 meters each segment. That's the traditional starting point. Walk longer in between if you have to. Try to work up to 5-10 running repeats. Then gradually increase the distance (you can do time as well). Keep the running: walking interval at about 1:3 or 1:4 at first and then just gradually increase. At your age you should respond reasonably quickly.

A lot of the symptoms you describe are typical of someone trying a new intense activity for the first time--the body kind of goes haywire at first.

176328.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Actually, you ARE a runner. That's how many people start out.

Here's what you have to remember: running--even at a relatively slow pace like 5 mph--is pretty intense exercise. For example, running at 5 mph requires more than TWICE the aerobic effort as walking at 4 mph.

Since there is no way to "gradually" ramp up the effort when you start running, most beginners have to start by doing it in small chunks.

How small? Whatever it takes for you to get started and not feel completely out of control. Someone mentioned running the straights (on a track) and walking the curves. That's about 100 meters each segment. That's the traditional starting point. Walk longer in between if you have to. Try to work up to 5-10 running repeats. Then gradually increase the distance (you can do time as well). Keep the running: walking interval at about 1:3 or 1:4 at first and then just gradually increase. At your age you should respond reasonably quickly.

A lot of the symptoms you describe are typical of someone trying a new intense activity for the first time--the body kind of goes haywire at first.

really good stuff here!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    also remember, do not eat or drink much before you run.. that is what always gives me the Stitches. If you must eat, eat something very small and then give yourself about 1 hr. then you will be less likely to have a stitch. and STRETCH .....STRETCH......STRETCH...... I can't stress enough how much better you will feel when you stretch before and after. Have some good shoes, too. that will help prevent shin splints, or knee pain. and go check out the runners threads. they have all the greatest advice you could ever need. those girls have got this running down to a science. they have all the answers...:smile:
  • daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone. I tried again yesterday. I didn't eat beforehand and I did more of a jog than a run and it was better. I think I was trying to start out too fast and a friend at work gave me some tips for breathing and I think a combination of all of that made it better. I was thinking of going again today, but I think I will try every other day cause I am a little sore!!! Thanks again!!!
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I echo what most people have said...a common mistake is to run hard and fast...slow down and walk when you have to...regularly challenge yourself to go a little further each time.
    Also, a side stitch is really just a cramp in your diaphragm...your major breathing muscle....when this happens, slow down...make more room in your rib cage by lifting your arms over your head and breathing deeply...the stitch will go away...works every time.
    A.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

hope this helps!

funny I can do 3 miles on the track - keeps me accountable to the distance and out and about - I struggle with being able to keep pushing myself to that next lap....I die on the trail. Also because the trail is hilly.

I am in week 9 of couch to 5k and when I started my journey to health, I couldn't jog 1/4 lap without thinking I was going to suffocate...I worked up to a lap and then I started the program....it's incredible - it really has taken me from the couch to 3 miles so far....

make sure you warm up first (I walk a lap) then at the end cool down with a walk and stretch. Also - allow yourself a healing day in between runs - you can walk on the alternate days - til your bones and muscles get stonger.
  • BelleC
    BelleC Posts: 1
    Options
    I am totally not a runner at all until now
    I challenged myself to do it
    I signed up for a 5K run
    Ran/Walk everyday
    At first it took me 2 hours (pushing a double jogger) to do the 5K
    It was crazy and i was so so tired
    But little by little I started to enjoy it
    Getting my time down from 120 minutes to 55 minutes
    Finally the day came May 24 2009
    I ran my first 5K (without the double jogger my mom watched my kids I chose to do this alone)
    My goal was 50 minutes
    Running with others definately motivated me
    And all the signs people had (this is for those who watch and dont run)
    "Go Mom Go" "Keep Going"
    They were amazing motivators
    As I looked up at the finish line my time was there

Amazing

So just for my tips sign yourself up for a race train for it and see the results
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    bump to read later:smile: