Heart Rate Monitor question

Options
Hello! I have a new heart rate monitor and I've been wearing it for a week now during exercising. I don't think it's right though. During a one hour Zumba class, it says I burned 80 calories. During 35 minutes of Couch to 5K training with an average heart rate of 155 (according to the watch) it says I burned 70 calories. All online calculators put me in the 200-300 zone and the fitness log on Fitness Pal does that same. Does anyone think the watch might be wrong?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Is it just a watch or does it also have a chest strap?
  • melissawgreen
    Options
    Just a watch.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sounds way off.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Seems way off... not sure how a heart rate monitor works without a chest strap...
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Definitely off. What model is it?
  • melissawgreen
    Options
    S12...from Wal-Mart. The hubs bought it for me. I'm taking it back. Such a low cal number is stressing me out.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Is it the type where you have to press it to your wrist to get a reading? Unless you do that regularly it won't be getting information on your heart rate and it will go off of your resting heart rate.
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP not sure how this works without a chest strap.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound right to me. I would definitely suggest investing in a HRM with a chest strap. I have had and used my Polar FT7 since I started this journey almost 2 years ago. Totally worth the extra money, especially for how much it gets used! :) I feel confident in the estimate it gives me and it helps me boost my workouts so my heart rate stays in the proper zone.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM with a chest strap. It is worth the investment
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I second that emotion .. Polar FT7 is a very good brand , i ve had mine for 2 years and its great.

check it out at www.****sportinggoods.com

-D-nice
  • Alarista
    Alarista Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    So I went to the Polar website to check out what ya'll were saying on the FT7... there are lots of chest straps there is also no sizing chart... suggestions on that?
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM with a chest strap! I have I Polar F4 (Super cheap on Amazon!) and it was so worth it! I LOVE that thing!

The chest straps are adjustable so you can make it as small or big as you need.
  • westcoastredhead
    Options
    i have a timex watch type hrm and basically the more you test your hr the more accurate it is. i have my finger on that sensor probably once a minute! how often are you checking your hr while working out? do you just turn it on and forget about it? i would recommend trying to test your hr as often as possible. i am currently researching the chest straps as i am getting annoyed by constantly having to make sure i get my finger on the sensor. i hope that makes sense!
  • osuzorba
    osuzorba Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The strap that comes with the FT7 is adjustable and would fit a very large or small chest.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my FT7, it's hardly had a day off since I got it!! ... and yes, the strap that comes with it will adjust to a wide range. I'm measuring 37" around the ribcage, and I'm right about in the middle of what it can adjust to.
  • EB4life
    EB4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a Mio petite drive heart rate monitor and the resting heart rate seems to be stuck at 140 which doesn't make sense. I did 33 mins of dancing today and it said I only burned 58 cals which I know is not correct. On MFP it says 33 mins of dancing, general equals 169 cals burned. Any ideas of how I can fix this problem? Up until Saturday my HRM was working properly. I wonder if there is a button I pressed by mistake. I am thiking the resting heart rate on the watch should read 90 not 140 but I am not able to change it back. Help please!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Def. get rid of it and get one with a chest strap.. Watch only ones are not accurate simply for the fact of they base the calorie count off when you touch it.

Unless you plan on keeping your finger on the sensor the entire time, it's pretty much useless.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can get the Polar ones quite cheaply on eBay, I'd look into that instead.