SODIUM!! PLEASE HELP!

Options
Need some opinions! Ever since I started to track my sodium I have been going crazy about it! It is making it harder for me to track my food because EVERYTHING has so much sodium! My question is should I delete it from my tracker and just keep an eye on the food labels!?I want to make this a little easier for myself!

Replies

• I feel you I've just started tracking it too and OMG i'm over so much all the time!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Nope, keep tracking it. You are going to continue to have problems with sodium if you use processed foods because that is what keeps them from growing bacteria. Making your own food from scratch for the most part will help reduce it. I have the same problem, and I understand your frustration. Make sure to add an extra serving or more of water if you have been eating a lot of sodium to help flush it out of your system. :flowerforyou:
  • amandasue1107
    amandasue1107 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Nope, keep tracking it. You are going to continue to have problems with sodium if you use processed foods because that is what keeps them from growing bacteria. Making your own food from scratch for the most part will help reduce it. I have the same problem, and I understand your frustration. Make sure to add an extra serving or more of water if you have been eating a lot of sodium to help flush it out of your system. :flowerforyou:

I haven't been over my sodium any of the days but it stresses me out! Does drinking extra water really help?
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I read that the average intake is 5000 mg even though the suggested intake is about half of that. Basically anything processed or in a can is going to be full of sodium. Even the low-sodium stuff I bought adds up fast. I set custom goals instead and moved my sodium goal up to 3000 so those red numbers wouldn't freak me out so much but I would still be conscious of having too much.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    This is my personal opinion so don't take it as "health advice"....but unless you have blood pressure issues, or other health issues to watch your sodium. I wouldn't stress about it just yet .... UNLESS you are like me and it makes you bloat and gain 10 lbs in water weight. < No joke.

I have some MFP friends who can eat 2500-5000 sodium and it not affect them. One day over 2500 sodium for me will result in some serious weight gain that takes me a week to chug enough water and get back to where I was.

*Most* of the time, I've been able to stay around 1500 when I'm doing well watching my food. The best way to do this? Cut out processed and fast foods.

Buy fresh meats. Most steak, chicken etc should have less than 100 grams of sodium in them (though some brands will be pumped full of salt to make them look plumper...like walmarts chicken). Most fish is higher in sodium, but that makes sense if it was a salt water fish.

Buy frozen not canned veggies if you can't keep fresh ones. Fresh veggies don't last in my house very well, we don't seem to eat them fast enough and I end up throwing away $20 worth of food. Canned veggies are full of sodium, but frozen veggies are not (as long as they are not pre-sauced).

Steamer veggie bags make quick sides for dinners/lunches. Get the ones that don't have sauce, or if you do get some with sauce find the lowest sodium ones.

Eat more fruit. lol

If you cook a lot, order some No Sodium Bouillon. I have yet to find it in the stores, but you can order it on Amazon. To me this was totally worth ordering online, I can use this for all kinds of recipes instead of chicken/beef broth or reg. bouillon cubes and it saves a TON of sodium.

A lot of it comes down to making your own foods and not buying pre-made food. Some more examples Taco Shells > bake your own at home from corn tortillas. French Fries > Slice up potatoes, and bake in the oven.

Use salt substitute instead of salt (if you salt your foods). I don't recommend using a lot of it in sauces...I don't think it tastes right. But for just throwing some extra "salt" on top of your food it tastes pretty good.

Good luck!
  • stronger_faster
    Options
    Try to eat foods that are processed as little as possible. Frozen entrees, soups, and boxed/canned goods are some of the worst contenders. Also, look for lower sodium bread and try to avoid prepackaged lunch meat. I switched to unsalted nuts, low sodium cottage cheese, lower sodium salad dressing, and I always try to check menus before ordering at restaurants...you will not believe the sodium content of some things!
    Cutting back on sodium is a process, don't beat yourself up about it. But it does make a difference in how you feel, you won't regret it! I've found that cutting back on sodium has forced me to eat healthier without really having to try--added bonus!
  • amandasue1107
    Options
    I have the same problem. I read that the average intake is 5000 mg even though the suggested intake is about half of that. Basically anything processed or in a can is going to be full of sodium. Even the low-sodium stuff I bought adds up fast. I set custom goals instead and moved my sodium goal up to 3000 so those red numbers wouldn't freak me out so much but I would still be conscious of having too much.

That makes me feel a lot better. My goal is 2500 and I haven't gone over it! It seems to work for you! You have lost a lot of weight! Keep it up!
  • amandasue1107
    Options
    Try to eat foods that are processed as little as possible. Frozen entrees, soups, and boxed/canned goods are some of the worst contenders. Also, look for lower sodium bread and try to avoid prepackaged lunch meat. I switched to unsalted nuts, low sodium cottage cheese, lower sodium salad dressing, and I always try to check menus before ordering at restaurants...you will not believe the sodium content of some things!
    Cutting back on sodium is a process, don't beat yourself up about it. But it does make a difference in how you feel, you won't regret it! I've found that cutting back on sodium has forced me to eat healthier without really having to try--added bonus!

I hope I can get to the same point! It's all a learning process! Thanks for the opinion!
  • amiperreault
    Options
    As a former lover of ramen noodles, I feel ya!! I have a salt tooth ;)

I think the best way to control sodium intake is to make your own meals with fresh ingredients and avoid added salt in recipes as much as you can. I've noticed a dramatic reduction in 'belly bloat' since doing so. Sodium content is so high in processed foods – boxed, bagged and frozen rice and pasta dishes, canned soups, sauces, etc. – even small portions have so much sodium, they're just not worth it!

You can add flavor in place of salt with garlic, onion, cayenne and other yummy spices. Good Luck!
  • amandasue1107
    Options
    Thank everyone so much for the comments! keep em coming!
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The RDA of sodium is 2500 mg. I know that many of us on MFP are working out and sweating quite a lot and also drinking extra water. You have to be careful with sodium intake. Obviously too much is not healthy for you and can cause health problems but too little can also lead to health problems too http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001431/ , so unless you are on a sodium restricted diet from your doctor i would recommend consulting your doctor before dropping sodium to much on your own.
  • amandasue1107
    Options
    The RDA of sodium is 2500 mg. I know that many of us on MFP are working out and sweating quite a lot and also drinking extra water. You have to be careful with sodium intake. Obviously too much is not healthy for you and can cause health problems but too little can also lead to health problems too http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001431/ , so unless you are on a sodium restricted diet from your doctor i would recommend consulting your doctor before dropping sodium to much on your own.

That sounds like great advice! I appreciate it!