lab-grown meat

Options

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    and I live in Montana. we've got plenty of land and plenty of cows. top soil erosion? come on. we've got an acre or two for our cattle to wander on out here.
    the point here is that farmers own a certain amount of land, if that land loses all the top soil, the crops will become mineral deficient. It's not like all the farmers are going to move to good fertile land.

well, right, but why are ranchers concerned about growing a crop? they use their land for what they need their land for. and if it is for cows, they don't need nutrient rich peas or tomatoes. and when they are free range, the impact is minimal because of herd movement. actually, on most large ranches this is the case.
    I didn't mention ranchers but I support free range, pasture fed cows, and that's the beef I'm going to eat if I eat some. I'm talking about farms that have way too many cattle for the land they own and they eat all the vegetation leaving just soil. They are usually fed GMO corn which causes more gut E. Coli so the meat has to be sterilized with chemicals.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Im gonna chow down on this while I watch this all come crashing down

five-guys-burger-fries.jpg
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    There are great alternatives sources of protein to meat. Two of them are hemp seed and algae like spirulina, chlorella, afa, and phytoplankton. These are highly sustainable and foods that improve the environment but I don't see anyone getting excited about them.

It's considered manly to go have a big steak and I doubt that's going to change. It would be great if people would cut down on meat consumption but it's unrealistic. Meat is a staple in a lot of people's diets and it would be tough to persuade them to change.

As for lab-grown meat, if it's possible they are going to try it, and if it's financial viable and legal, they're going to sell it. I personally would never eat it.

I've been trying to go vegetarian but I do eat meat occasionally. I usually spend more for higher quality, humanely raised meat if I do buy it.

I do promote organic, non-gmo foods. I think a lot of the degenerative diseases are from altered food crops. Monsanto may be trying to stop world hunger [more like take over the market in certain commodities (corn,soy,sugar beets)] but they are creating toxins in the food that can damage organs and help destroy people's immune systems. I fear lab-grown meat will have the same consequences.

Well stated
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    For those of you chronic meat-eaters or non-vegetarians, if you prefer a less negative epithet, you are pushing scientists to try to produce meat in petri dishes in an effort to reduce your environmental impact. As a vegetarian myself, I find this hugely disturbing and unnatural. If you would cut back on your meat consumption even a little bit, this sort of thing would not only be unnecessary, but also it never would have been given serious consideration to begin with. I'm all for coming up with new ways of reducing environmental impact and fixing world hunger, but this is ridiculous. With this in mind, would it really be such a sacrifice to be vegetarian one day a week?

On the nutrition front, it is entirely possible and practical to meet a 40-30-30 macronutrient ratio on a vegetarian diet. I am doing it successfully, and I am NOT eating the same things over and over again. I love delicious food as much as a fat kid loves cupcakes, and I must have variety in my diet. If you are interested, I would happily share with you my meal plans and vegetarian/vegan recipes.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101208/full/468752a.html

YAAY. Scientific ignorance combined with a condescending, holier-than-thou attitude.

And people wonder why vegetarians are held is such disdain.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    For those of you chronic meat-eaters or non-vegetarians, if you prefer a less negative epithet, you are pushing scientists to try to produce meat in petri dishes in an effort to reduce your environmental impact. As a vegetarian myself, I find this hugely disturbing and unnatural. If you would cut back on your meat consumption even a little bit, this sort of thing would not only be unnecessary, but also it never would have been given serious consideration to begin with. I'm all for coming up with new ways of reducing environmental impact and fixing world hunger, but this is ridiculous. With this in mind, would it really be such a sacrifice to be vegetarian one day a week?

On the nutrition front, it is entirely possible and practical to meet a 40-30-30 macronutrient ratio on a vegetarian diet. I am doing it successfully, and I am NOT eating the same things over and over again. I love delicious food as much as a fat kid loves cupcakes, and I must have variety in my diet. If you are interested, I would happily share with you my meal plans and vegetarian/vegan recipes.

YAAY. Scientific ignorance combined with a condescending, holier-than-thou attitude.

And people wonder why vegetarians are held is such disdain.

I thought it was the gas from all the beans.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options

Oh wow. So now that science is presenting an option for meat without suffering (and btw lol do you know how many animals die from farming? even fuzzy mammals/birds [which I mention since they seem to the animal life that vegetarians most specifically value] grain threshing, pest control, deforestation/destruction of habitat) you are going to start dropping "disturbing and unnatural"?

LOL last time I heard someone complain about that it was a theist *****ing about gay people having consensual sex in their own homes.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Let me take the *kitten*-hole position for a second here.

First off, if you're against growing meat in a dish and you've spent 99% of your life in the United States, please do all of a favor and shut the hell up. It's getting pretty irritating listening to people with the holier than thou attitude.

Second, if you want to be against this technological advancement, I must first ask you to travel to developing countries and take a look at what people eat. By that, I mean take a look at their lack of dietary choices. Take a look at the high cost of meat. Take a look at the poaching that goes on for endangered species because meat is such a rare commodity.

That's right, people in other countries eat rice or bread in high amounts with very little protein in their diet. Many of them are malnourished. They work and sweat all day and then consume well below the minimum amount of protein recommended by MFP. Many of them catch frogs in the local rivers in order to get protein. Many others resort to eating worms or bugs. Others catch snakes and trap bats. I've eaten all these things with locals and it's not an easy life. It's a constant struggle to survive and get a decent meal in. Many of these people would LOVE to have some extra protein based food to feed their children. If this lab grown meat can feed starving people while reducing the impact of having more animals on this planet that drink water which could also go towards human consumption then that's even better.

So if you want to be against this whole concept because it's not natural and you enjoy being a vegetarian, I'll just go ahead and remind you that you're full of crap and you're selfish. Of course, you don't realize you're selfish because that would require actually getting off your lazy *kitten* and seeing people starving and poaching animals in order to feed themselves. You're probably the same type of person that can't tear yourself away from American Idol long enough to actually consider these types of things while you rationalize your snobby attitude as well.

Now I realize why I don't spend much time reading these message boards. Five minutes is all it takes to remind me how self-absorbed western society is.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Do you know what I'm most excited about?

If we can grow meat to eat, we can grow meat to replace wasted and damaged muscle in an accident victim.

Now we just need to figure out the neuron bit.

Go science.

Also.. I eat meat. No intention of stopping ever. Personally, I just don't like legumes... and tofu is bleh... I'd fail at vegetarian. I have been trying to buy more free-range chicken and beef.... but... only as much as my budget allows. That's gonna have to be good enough.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This is not disturbing at all to me. I am optimistic that this can become reality some day.

I second this post.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

If we can grow meat to eat, we can grow meat to replace wasted and damaged muscle in an accident victim.

Go science.

Also.. I eat meat. No intention of stopping ever. Personally, I just don't like legumes... and tofu is bleh... I'd fail at vegetarian. I have been trying to buy more free-range chicken and beef.... but... only as much as my budget allows. That's gonna have to be good enough.

Another one I really agree with. Well said.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options

Go science.

We do what must, because we can.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes yes, I know...We're evil. I'm not a scientist, but I am an Engineer by trade. Part of engineering is the hunt for "root cause". Now root cause is something that both science and engineering have in common. It's the idea of how something started or the cause behind it. So here is a subject that we can use to identify the root cause, or simply identify the reason "why". Why do humans have depth perception?

You don't need depth perception to stalk grass, guess why... grass doesn't flee! That is why cows and horses and sheep have eyes on the side of their heads while lions and panthers have eyes on the front. Eyes in the front indicate depth perception, the exact trait that mother nature developed so that a creature can chase and capture other animals for meat.

Another trait developed for the carnivore is sharp teeth and Canines. The shart teeth aren't there to sever plant stalks, they are for cutting meat. Yes humans have both sharp teeth and molars. That means Omnivore. for those that don't know, an Omnivore was designed to eat both plants and animals.

So if people want to make insinuations about how evil others are for things they choose to do, feel free to argue your case to mother nature. I'm sure that is going to get you real far.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I heart the general response this thread has received. Yay for science!
  • MissJenova
    Options
    Without reading through all 3 pages of comments, this has nothing to do with chronic meat eaters- it has to do with human over population in general. Stop hating on people's lifestyles please. And genetically modified crops are completely relevant to this post because it does happen for the exact same reasons it happens with meat. TOO MANY PEOPLE - NOT too many people eating that food type.

I think I agree with the point of this post, it just doesn't need to be presented in a "my way is better than your way" fashion.

Let's all stop making drama where there doesn't need to be any.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    For those of you chronic meat-eaters or non-vegetarians, if you prefer a less negative epithet, you are pushing scientists to try to produce meat in petri dishes in an effort to reduce your environmental impact. As a vegetarian myself, I find this hugely disturbing and unnatural....

I'm sorry, was this supposed to be an informative post? Or a judgy McJudgerson post... because it's certianly coming off as the latter. AS a proud omnivore, I am not pushing anyone to produce meat in a petri dish and would rather give it up all together than to eat lab created meat... I would also either raise or hunt my own meat than give it up completely as well. And I agree with those that say GMO crops are completely relevent... as they were modified in order to create bigger, better and more drought/disease/rotting resistant produce in order to feed the masses.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously sick and tired of posters on this site judging others for what they eat.

Amen.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Go science.

We do what must, because we can.

Hmmm... that is a good reason to create flesh in a lab... I can totally support and get behind that idea, so I second the yay! Science.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Also, why is this disgusting? If you're vegetarian for ethical reasons, you should be wanting this. This means an animal is no longer being harmed in order to produce meat.

BAM!!!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Growing meat? That's freaking awesome

I want to grow a hamburger right now
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I support lab grown meat 110%. The term itself is used to propagate misinformation. I support GM crops 100%. Do people realise we have been doing this since the dawn of civilization? Goggle Gregor Mendel and read a book. Idealism is fine. It gives something to strive for, but people are dying folks. Has anyone been to a third world country? Does anyone know what this is all about? Trying to increase yields here, and prevent starvation. Or how about the GM crops that will thrive in salty conditions, or different climates?

Ignorance is boring, question everything and critically reflect on your own beliefs. It is like when people say "That type of food is soooo full of chemicals". Umm you bet your *kitten* it is! Think about it.

Science has brought us forward to a point where we have the ability to help people. If ethanol production were to increase significantly, I am guessing people would still want to drive. I wonder where the pastoral land would come from.