1000+calories ian hour? How?

Options
124»

Replies

• Ian214
    Ian214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm over 400 lbs right now, I can burn 100 calories putting on my shoes.

lol
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Larger bodies take more calories to move. I burn 350 in twenty minutes, easy. If I work at it- I can get 900 in an hour.

Definitely. The larger you are, the more calories it takes to keep you going. Using a HRM, I have burned 1000 in 75 minutes. But 1) I was about 15 lbs heavier than I am now and 2) I was running. I burn about 140 calories per 10 minutes when I run. But I only burn about 60 calories for every 10 minutes on the elliptical. If I was on the elliptical for an hour I'd only burn about 360 calories. But if I ran for an hour it'd be closer to 840 calories. Since losing weight though, I have to go longer to get the same caloric burn that I got 15-20 lbs ago.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It all has to do with how intense is the workout for you personally.
    Someone out of shape, if they could really hold a high HR for an hour, could accomplish it easier than someone that is aerobically fit, whose system would require a lot of stress to get up that high.

For me, if I can keep my HR average at 167 for that full 60 min, I can hit 1000 cal.

That is 4 bpm below my lactate threshold.

Therefore anything that is steady is very hard to do, because at that high level, any variance sends the HR too high, needing a recovery then to continue. And each shot up makes it harder to continue.

So outdoor bike ride can accomplish it, with very few stop signs and lights.
    HR actually goes from 155 to 181 easily, but have many times averaged 167 and gotten 1000 for that 60 min.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It all has to do with how intense is the workout for you personally.
    Someone out of shape, if they could really hold a high HR for an hour, could accomplish it easier than someone that is aerobically fit, whose system would require a lot of stress to get up that high.

For me, if I can keep my HR average at 167 for that full 60 min, I can hit 1000 cal.

That is 4 bpm below my lactate threshold.

Therefore anything that is steady is very hard to do, because at that high level, any variance sends the HR too high, needing a recovery then to continue. And each shot up makes it harder to continue.

So outdoor bike ride can accomplish it, with very few stop signs and lights.
    HR actually goes from 155 to 181 easily, but have many times averaged 167 and gotten 1000 for that 60 min.

I am 34, weigh 125 lbs, my resting HR is 44 bpm and max is 201, and I don't think I could burn that many if I was sprinting flat out for an hour. I simply don't think it is physically possible for me to burn 1000 cals in an hour. I can run for 70 mins, with a HR of 172 plus for the full time, and only burn 550 cals.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm over 400 lbs right now, I can burn 100 calories putting on my shoes.

love this post :D
  • jasonkiely
    Options
    Guys this is not really a subject open for debate. It's a fact - The larger you are (mass) the more calories you burn.

You are all sitting in front of the Internet if you are reading this. Do a little bit of research and you will see for yourselves.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Guys this is not really a subject open for debate. It's a fact - The larger you are (mass) the more calories you burn.

You are all sitting in front of the Internet if you are reading this. Do a little bit of research and you will see for yourselves.

Um, pretty much EVERYONE has said that. There has been no debate.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? If someone is lying about it, they are only hurting themselves, and certainly not you.

^^^ THIS ^^^
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Being in better shape is actually going to earn you fewer calories in a workout, not more, because your body doesn't have to work as hard. Weighing less also causes you to burn less. So, basically, if you want to burn more, either do something more challenging or let yourself put on some more weight and fall back out of shape.
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Someone posts a topic like this every day. I'm not really sure why anyone cares what other people are doing. I'm fat. I burn 216 cals just cleaning my house for an hour (per HRM). So if I were to do Zumba or run for an hour, I'm sure I'd have no issues hitting 1000. If you can't burn that many calories in an hour, you're probably just not at fat as I am, or the others who can. So please, just go focus on your own exercise and weight loss, and stop doubting those around you. If you need some help because you aren't achieving goals, there's plenty of helpful information around here, or via Google.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at what they're doing.

I burn 400 doing Aqua Zumba for an hour (HRM) and I am a bigger person giving it my all!!
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    my highest has been 1200- that was on the treadmill at an average pace of 3.8mph and the incline as high as it could go. but i'm a big girl so i burn more cals