Chicken left out over night? eat or no?

Options

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it if you are not cooking it again. Cut it up and make it in another recipe (Stew, Chili, Soup, Stri fry). If you cook it it should kill any bacteria.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    update.. smelled great, microwaved and tasted great also!!!
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It will be perfectly fine. If it was defrosted and raw I would say no --- but cooked is fine.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    A big fat NO! Some chicken doesn't cost that much compared to being on the couch all day with stomach cramps!!!! That was my DH's way of thinking until he ate a chicken sandwich that was left out. It was cooked and I didn't eat all of it. He was unloading my car and thought I had just bought it and didn't finish it. It was only a couple of hours since I purchased it. He was soooo sick. We were getting ready to leave for vacation and he was on the couch thinking he was dying. Not worth it. Now he always asks how long something has been there. He always teases me about how I tried to kill him.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've had food poisoning from chicken and it's not pretty. No way, no how would I eat it.
  • Graciecny
    Options
    I would vote no to eating it, personally. I have a friend, though, who stores his chicken salad sandwiches in his desk for 6+ hours and eats them and is always fine. My luck, I'd be hurling for days. :sick: :laugh:

Oh, and the sniff test? I completely lack the ability to smell bad meat. I can smell everything else (am really sensitive to smells, actually) except rancid meat. Weird! I have to get my hubby to do the sniff test for me when things are bad. I have a "hmm...it smells a bit funny" thought, pull him over to check and he's like "HOLY CRAP, THAT SMELLS AWFUL". It would be funny if it weren't so frustrating!
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't chance it.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    No...........food poisoning is not fun.....
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I cooked some chicken and left it out all night (12hours) in a sealed container.... Eat or no?
    re-heat and eat.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I cooked some chicken and left it out all night (12hours) in a sealed container.... Eat or no?

If you decide to eat it - if you recook it until the internal temperature is 170 degress you should be fine. The heat should kill any bacteria lerking in your poultry
  • jgibson2
    jgibson2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Uh no.......unless you want to take a chance on explosive diarrhea...chachacha
  • leezmmer
    Options
    noooooooooooooooooo:noway:
  • stephbo4
    Options
    Absolutely NOT. Chicken begins to form bacteria that can make you very ill after 2 hours out of the refrigerator. DO NOT EAT IT!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Does it look like this?
    640px-Moldy_chicken.JPG
    just carve off the mold and eat it, steak is the best when aged, i do it with cheese all the time.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt risk the food poisoning , unless you wanna lose a fast 5 lbs :)
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    lol people on this forum are a little ocd. Since I was a kid my mum has been making chicken curry and leaving it out in the cooking pot (covered) overnight. I have never been sick or ill from eating 1 day day old left out chicken curry - Even it being left out 2 days has NEVER done my any harm!
  • HopeytheHopester
    HopeytheHopester Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    NO!!!:love:
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely not eat it. It's been out far too long in the temperature zone where bacteria multiply the fastest. It's a foodborne illness just waiting to happen!
  • Nuttytart2012
    Nuttytart2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Glad you didnt waste it :-)
    I always do that, if its just 1 day/night, as long as you re-heat it so its sizzling hot then its fine.
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chicken will start to form bacteria within hours of being left out. I would throw it out! It's better to be safe than sorry. I have had food poisoning, never again! If I can help it...