Pilates?

Options
Going to give it a try tonight. Looking for pros/cons??

Replies

• cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Pros: great core work, easy on joints, fun
    Cons: Won't burn huge calories

Have fun!!
  • wey1983
    wey1983 Posts: 109
    Options
    I went to my first Pilates class last night actually! I loved it! I don't think I burned a ton of calories, but I stretched my muscles and really worked my abs, etc. Its definitely a good class to add in the mix of your regular cardio routines. Have Fun!
  • helenrachel123
    helenrachel123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is well worth giving it a go I try and do it about 2 or 3 times a week very good for stretching after doing other types of exercise such as body pump or running and also very good for toning, it is meant to be good for toning the waist and the core area due to the intercostal breathing, also good for the abs. Sometimes we use bands and swiss balls during our pilates class. I am doing pilates and spinning tonight. Interested to know what you think of it when you have done it.
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    if you have a HRM, I'd be interested to know how many calories you burn. I did pilates a few years ago, lost some weight with it, but built up a good core and foundation for other things, flexibility too...I loved it.

I would venture to say that you can burn quite a few calories, depending on how uh...HARD you work at it. If you're putting in minimal effort to do the poses, then obviously, the calories won't be as high as if you were working super hard and really working your muscles...right?!

enjoy it!! :)
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Love pilates.

its true it doesn't burn lots of calories but it does work and lengthen your muscles tremendously!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. I am also doing the C25K workout. Thought pilates would be a good light workout inbetween. Excited to try it tonight :flowerforyou:
  • cbcw1964
    Options
    I have a Pilates Rebounder machine...I am 48 (almost) and I love it....it doesn't burn alot of calories however it is amazing for core strength, balance and toning! I get my exercise from Zumba or Just Dance, a Daily Ab workout app for adroid and chasing after two kids and trying to run a home based business. Pilates is a healthy low impact maintenance regime that will benefit you in strength and balance.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Have fun!!

This is exactly what I would have said. In my experience building a stronger core has helped reduce fat around my mid section and helped me keep better blance as I do other workouts which build more muscle / burn more calories. Good Luck in the class :)
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Have fun!!

This is exactly what I would have said. In my experience building a stronger core has helped reduce fat around my mid section and helped me keep better blance as I do other workouts which build more muscle / burn more calories. Good Luck in the class :)

^^^^Yes I agree this is a great workout... I have a DVD and just recently started back using it... I actually started to feel a difference in my balance after doing it 3 times a week... Have fun!!!!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this thread! I have an ankle that "flairs" when I do the EASIEST things, so I have to go slow. I do 2 times a week weight training and am thinking of adding one 3 mile walk on a flat course and going to my basement and using a pilates or yoga work out another day.

So, for someone that has never tried pilates and sticks to it for a bit, you think I will feel a difference? I just hit 50 and just feeling kind of out of shape and want to be better fit as I get older!