Okay, farm fresh hard boiled egg eaters. How do you

Options
cook them? I have a neighbor who has some chickens and he dropped a couple of eggs off yesterday. If fixed them just like I do all my hard boiled eggs. When I peeled them this morning, I lost at least 1/3 of the whites because they stuck to the shell. I always peel them under cold running water. Only one thing was different from my store bought eggs, the eggs had literally just been picked up, so they were still warm when I put them in the water to boil them. Was that the issue?

Any suggestions would be welcomed. This neighbor has promised to keep me in eggs for as long as I like, which is awesome. But I will get very frustrated trying to peel them! LOL

Replies

• KMSForLife
    Options
    I've heard that you get a much better hard-boiled eggs if you use eggs that are at least 7 days old.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, the issue is the freshness of the eggs.
    The older the eggs, the easier they are to peel from the shell.
    Collect your neighbor's eggs and leave them in the fridge for about 2 weeks before boiling, it will make a huge difference!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you. They were really tasty, just extremely ugly. LOL
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I always plunge the eggs into cold running water when they are done. I leave them there - water running long enough to keep them very cold - for at least 5 minutes. Never had any trouble peeling them after that. But I've never had the luxury of eggs so fresh they are warm. Maybe use those for a luscious omelette?
  • anzabeth
    Options
    Yep. We have chickens. And there is no way to create pretty boiled eggs unless they are at least a couple of weeks old. Tasty but ugly pretty much describes it.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    my mom used to have chickens and like everybody says fresh egg are not good for hard boiled eggs, they have to be older.
  • elly_bean83
    elly_bean83 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i just copied and pasted a post I had written in response to another thread, give it a try, hope it helps!!!

"we have chickens also...the trick to hard boiling fresh eggs is to let the water boil before you put the eggs in - the hot water kind of shocks (for lack of better term) the egg into retracting from the shell = easier to peel! oh and also best to use room temperature eggs! cheers :)"
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Boil them with a healthy pinch of baking soda- it helps the white not to adhere to the shell
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Martha Stewart explains that if the egg is too fresh it will not peel well. You can wait a week or you can:
    1. Bring to a boil in salted water
    2. Remove from heat, put on a lid and set a timer for 12 minutes
    3. After 12 minutes remove hot water from pan and add cold water
    4. Peel and eat

I only eat farm fresh local eggs so I've found this method works best.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I will just have to keep them in the fridge for a week or two, then.

I'll try a couple of the other suggestions, too. I usually run some cold water over them and then throw some ice into the water to cool them quickly.

I very rarely eat eggs any other way than hard boiled. But if I do, I'll use the fresher ones for that.
  • zdragonone
    zdragonone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Put them into cold water just as soon as they are cooked. You might need to boil them a minute less too. Let them sit in the cold water until they are cooled off real well. They should peel okay.

I personally think fresh eggs are better scrambled or in omelettes.
  • erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sullivanwilson
    Sullivanwilson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We have chickens too. Even with the older eggs we sometimes still get the whites coming off with the shell.

Here's a trick that helps... when the eggs are done dump the water and put a lid on the pot, apparently the steam coming off the eggs help to separate the shell from the egg. There's no science behind that statement! It just seems to help.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yep.....I have chickens as well :).It's the freshness of the eggs! Fresh eggs are a nightmare to peel! What a great friend you have there!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    We have chickens and the fresh eggs are really hard to peel. I don't know a secret or trick to get the really fresh ones to peel easier. My dad says the same thing--and he's had chickens for his entire life.
  • shhelsea
    Options
    Bang both ends on the counter, then peel.
    I do this every time and it has never failed me, regardless of temp or age. =)
  • Krazyfit
    Options
    Fresh eggs are easy to peel if you know how. I do have chickens and love hard boiled eggs. What I found works is to take them right off the heat and put them in the sink (in the pan still) and run very cold water over them for about seconds. Take the eggs and do a quick smack and roll, (to crack the shell) then put them back in the cold water for just a few more seconds, THEN PEEL. This works perfectly most every time. Good Luck!
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can use the Eggies thing you can buy on tv. I got one at Walmart for just cooking egg whites, and it works pretty well.. If this is not a common occurrence for you to get such fresh eggs, it may not be worth to buy.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    We have chickens (admittedly they lay eggs weirdly depending on the weather) and we also buy eggs (do a lot of baking) so what we tend to do is we have 2 sections for eggs in the fridge, closest to the door hinges we put the fresh, chicken from home eggs, and closest to where the door opens the shop bought ones, and as we use up the eggs and get new ones the chicken eggs from by the hinges will get moved over so they are closest to where to door opens and the new eggs will get put by the hinges, that way we never have rotten eggs in the fridge and the eggs that are closest to the door are always ready to be used for anything.

But on the subject of boiled eggs a) I'd leave them a few days (not a few weeks but that's me) and b) like someone else said after boiled them leave them to sit in a pan on cold water for 5 or so minutes until they are cold to touch.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    pro cook here. they were too fresh. hardboiled eggs will work better with older eggs. use those nice fresh ones some other way....yum!