Chicken left out over night? eat or no?

Options

Replies

• Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    seriously? I think people are trying to kill you! That will make you so frigging sick. Don't do it.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    if I was the County Health Department...that's a big ol' write up. But I'm not. I don't think I'd risk it, though, anyway.
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    If in doubt always follow your nose! true words of wisdom :D
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    I wouldn't chance it.

Agreed!
  • MsFat2Fit
    Options
    If in doubt always follow your nose! true words of wisdom :D

fully agree!!!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    update.. smelled great, microwaved and tasted great also!!!

Ewwwww. Just sayin. I hope you dodged the food poisoning.
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    When in doubt, throw it out.

^^^^^^ This, I would never eat any kind of meat that has been left out all night long, but that is just me. I wouldn't want to risk getting sick.
  • shydal
    shydal Posts: 16
    Options
    I took a food safety course and say: Definitely wouldn't eat it. the moisture in the chicken will be a play-ground for lovely little bacteria. Bleh.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I would say NO.
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    Sniff test!
    words of wisdom, If in doubt always follow your nose
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    sure they ate meat in the old days that lasted through the winter .. BUT.. it was salted and smoked .. they knew how to preserve the meat..
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    throw. it. out. my dad's a food scientist.

haha! My best friend is also a food scientist and I made the same mistake a few months ago (left chicken out) and immediately called to get her input... she basically said it was a crapshoot-- as much chance of making me sick as not. I decided to throw it out.

But now I just want to know if the OP gets sick!
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat all leftovers that have been out overnight (unless obviously rank). but I wouldn't let my son. Sometimes I throw parties or BBQ's and a lot of stuff may sit out for hours.
  • kevindondrea
    Options
    Chicken Curry MAY but not sure be an exception to the rule due to the spices used. In the old days and maybe still now, Italians make and hang raw sausage in their basement to cure. The spices kill a lot but I'm not 100% sure of the process. Some inlaws have left chicken out over night and have had no problems but don't know if you want to take a change on that.

Like a lot have posted, bacteria starts quickly. You also shouldn't put it in the fridge while still hot. I have eaten chicken I left out for 12 hours but I have an iron constitution plus I'm cheap.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, throw it out.
    The nose knows.
  • sarahmichelle91xx
    sarahmichelle91xx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't eat it.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    smell test... taste test... if all seems ok carry on
    chicken is one of those things where if its gone off you will definitely be able to tell during the smell test...

but then i was eating home made chocolate truffles earlier the cream used to make them went off a week ago now ... they still tasted goood! however if your always over cautious dont risk it! your body will be like what the heck!?! I will eat things that i have been on the floor, i eat fruit and veg straight out the ground just dust the dirt off first.... maybe all this is how come i never get the stomach bugs my family does.... hmmm not that i really advise anyone to follow anything i do... lol
    x
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't unless I was low on food, in which case I'd use it in soup or something and bring to a boil.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    ahhh...NO NO NO! :noway:

Left out of the fridge for 12 hours!!!! Are you INSANE? :huh:

Throw it out or throw it up.... especially in my climate. :sick:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    This thread is a year old.....revived by someone's very first post.

The OP did eat it, and she didn't get sick.