Plantar fasciitis

Options
Hi. I am working on counting my calories but every time I try to walk or jog, my plantar fasciitis acts up. Then I am stuck not putting any weight on that foot for a while. Exercise suggestions would be great!

Replies

• Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Try the elliptical, arc trainer, or stair master. They don't exert the pressure on your arches. Also make sure you have orthotic insoles moldekd specifically for your feet.
  • 2Grtkids
    Options
    Try the elliptical, it works for me :)
  • Losewt4good
    Options
    Is your PF still bothering you?
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've self diagnosed myself for that. I'd suggest seeing a doctor. Personally I have it because I've got really flat feet, did some research and it was suggested getting insoles that properly support your arches. I now wear shoes inside with these insoles, and the insoles are in my main pair of shoes as well. On top of that I have proper running shoes. Also icing it helps. I still have it, it isn't going away for me, but I can run without pain now, which is really nice!
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had to get orthotics when I had PF. You might need to do the same. Good luck!
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    Smart Feet insoles worked wonders for me. They are a lot cheaper than ortho prescribed insoles. I also wore shoes with those insoles all the time until it went away. If you go to the Smart Feet website, they list locations where they can be found.
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had that problem when I started running again. I went to the local running store and they sold me elastic arch supports. Did the job for me. The foot store wanted $800 for custom orthodics. I paid $16 at the running store. It is the only thing that solved my problem. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    do a juice cleanse, you will cute weight and your body will heal itself!!
  • marenwalker
    marenwalker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have it in both feet and it's awful! I've been doing spinning and it is a great work out (I think I'm going to die!) and my feet don't hurt when I get off the bike!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to see a podiatrist and have your foot taped so it will heal. That type of inflammation is hell. Go see a podiatrist, and have it taped for a week, and you should feel better. You will still be able to walk on it, and use it, but you'll need to take it somewhat easy.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I also have it in both feet, one worse then the other. I got orthotics and it made a WORLD of difference. My one foot still gets sore once in a while, but for the most part it is much better. And just think, the more weight you lose, the better your feet will feel in the long run!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Are you doing stretches? The Physical Therapist had me do hamstring stretches. I no longer have symptoms and I stretch every day.
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    With the help of my Chiropractor and orthotics I am able to live pain free from PF.:happy:
  • Jean1Marc
    Options
    As an alternative to OTC or custom orthotics, you might try what my doctor recommended: each day, first thing in the morning, stretch the tendon which is causing the PF by putting a rolling pin on the ground, and rolling your foot on it from heel-to-toe-to-heel for a few minutes. I did that for about a week, and my PF disappeared. Rarely, now, I feel some tension in the morning, and I give it a quick re-treatment.

Simple. Fast. Effective. Inexpensive. Hard to beat that combination.
  • livingaloha
    Options
    I agree getting the proper arch support really helps, I used to suffer from it alot. Also when it is acting up freeze a small water bottle and then put it on the floor and roll your foot back and forth on it, you can also use a tennis ball if you wish, it helps break it up and really helps. I learned this from a physical therapist I used to work with. Good Luck! I know how painful and frustrating it can be.:flowerforyou:
  • joelabro
    joelabro Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have it in my left foot, and I found of course that losing weight has seemed to help out. For workouts, I have never had an issue with the elliptcal. That is my main cardio workout. The treadmill and any form of running will take me out though, as will lifting heavy things slopily or without preparation.

I recommend a good pair of shows, inserts like Superfeet, and taping your foot up when you know you might do any activity that could flare it up. If you are not already taping like that, private message me and I will describe what works for me.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Inserts for your shoes. Seriously. Once I got a good pair or inserts - Not medically prescribed orthotics, just from my local running store - I never had a problem again. I don't even use the inserts anymore and still no problems. Of course, I've lost over 100 pounds since then, so I'm sure that helps it now, but the inserts definitely helped while I was still carrying the extra weight.
  • joelabro
    joelabro Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to OTC or custom orthotics, you might try what my doctor recommended: each day, first thing in the morning, stretch the tendon which is causing the PF by putting a rolling pin on the ground, and rolling your foot on it from heel-to-toe-to-heel for a few minutes. I did that for about a week, and my PF disappeared. Rarely, now, I feel some tension in the morning, and I give it a quick re-treatment.

Simple. Fast. Effective. Inexpensive. Hard to beat that combination.

I have been told to do this every morning, even when it's not acting up, but I have never been able to keep up with it.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a podiatrist? I was just diagnosed with this also. I have temporary inserts that have helped a LOT. The first hour in them was sheer hell though. I go back Fri to get fitted for permanent ones. She told me to stretch my toes towards me before I get out of bed and it helps tremendously..especially if you have pain when you put your foot on the floor first thing in the am. Just point them (while on your back) towards you and hold for a count to 5 and do it 10 times. Also you can freeze a water bottle and roll your foot over it for 10 minutes. I hate icing anything but it helps a lot. As far as running goes, I can't when mine is hurting because it only makes it worse. I can walk though and I'm going 5 miles a day with a few hills pretty much pain free. If it does start to hurt I slow down and the pain eases.
    I'd like to know if anyone rides a bike with this successfully. That may be an option for you.
    If you don't take care of this before it gets bad you may end up with heel spurs and more pain. Good luck and let us know what works for you!
    Oops, I just realized you said you coudn't walk or run. Maybe try walking slower? I mean reallyyy slow. Sometimes I look like a 90 year old lady out there on the trail when I have to slow down but the pain eases up after a few steps and then I can pick up speed.
  • jrstls
    Options
    Elliptical. Worked great for me.

Good friend who is an orthapedic surgeon showed me a very good stretch to do before getting out of bed every morning that helped me start the day off better. Much better if you have someone to help you do it. Lying down, straight leg, flex your toe to the sky, have someone push your toes towards your knee. Let pain decide how far to stretch it (as much as you can tolerate). Do that for a few minutes before getting out of bed if you can. This was a big help to me.

Still took me a while to get rid of it (months), but the elliptical never made it worse and allowed me to continue exercising.