Question about protein shakes

Options
Hi, I often like to have a shake in the morning made with strawberries, bananas, milk and a bit of vanilla yogurt. However, this doesn't seem to keep me satisfied for very long. I tried adding some tofu to my shake last week, but it was disgusting!! What about adding a protein powder?? Any suggestions on the best protein powder to add (that's available in Canada)? Thanks for any ideas :smile:

Replies

• SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I think Herbalife have distributors in Canada - if so their product (high protein meal replacement shakes/bars) are pretty good. I often have one a day instead of breakfast, rather than following the full plan as you're supposed to. Filling and good for nutrition!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    optimum nutrition gold standard whey its the best, bodybuilding.com ships to canada and its way cheaper than your webistes over there, i lived there for a year,
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I actually find they're all fairly similar, so usually go with the best price.

Occasionally the top 2 or 3 Canadian sites have deals/sales that make it worthwhile, or even Walmart or Shoppers will have tubs for like $5.

Otherwise, you'll get the best prices from bb.com like the guy above said.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    optimum nutrition gold standard whey its the best

I would have to agree here! So many flavours and the best tasting protein I've tried before.
  • LauraLouIsReady
    Options
    Also try greek yogurt vs. regular yogurt. Greek has more protein in it.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use Isagenix shakes with IsaPro (their protein mix) and love them. If interested, there is a link on my profile to them and you will see by my diary that I use a bunch of their products.

I have also tried Jillian Micheal's whey protein and it was one of the better tasting ones. I used to use it after every workout until I found Isagenix.

Good luck.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hi, I often like to have a shake in the morning made with strawberries, bananas, milk and a bit of vanilla yogurt. However, this doesn't seem to keep me satisfied for very long. I tried adding some tofu to my shake last week, but it was disgusting!! What about adding a protein powder?? Any suggestions on the best protein powder to add (that's available in Canada)? Thanks for any ideas :smile:

Optimum tastes like chemicals after a while. Gaspari Myofusion tastes great at a decent price. if you want something really good and don't mind paying for it check out anything by Xtreme Formulations.
  • MamaKeeks
    Options
    Well, for me, they don't all taste good. And some don't mix well. But I found the Webbers 100% Whey Protein powder to taste great and mixes easily. And it's available at Shoppers Drug Mart for $19.99!!! :happy: I use the vanilla in my smoothie every morning with pretty much exactly the ingredients you just described - delish! One note - it does contain a small amount of sucralose (splenda) as a sweetener...
    http://webbernaturals.com/caen/products/categories/1101/protein-supplements
  • savdbygrac
    Options
    Can you get Body Fortress up there? The chocolate tastes like chocolate pudding and curbs my chocolate cravings and keeps me pretty satisfied!!!!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I love having my beachbody fitness Shakeology protein/vitamin drink every morning. i blend the powder with frozen fuit and water. i've been having it every morning since last summer.
    my website is spammy spammy spam spam
    im sure they ship to canda!! good luck -there are alot of choices!! but remember, you get what you pay for! :-)

Enjoy your visit from the mods. Sigh.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I use the Advocare Meal Replacement Shakes with 24 Grams of protein. 220 calories and it fills me up till lunch. I HATE SHAKES.. and I can drink this easily.

I throw it into my smoothies too with fruit to add some flavor punch.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you get protein powder, vanilla is the easiest to mix whatever fruits you want with..... also you could try adding liquid egg whites to your shakes -- this was my shake this morning --

DELISH Protein shake this morning -- a little over 1 scoop jillian michael's triple chocolate shake protein powder, 3tbsp liquid egg whites, 1 cup light organic soy milk, dry instant coffee, 8 ice cubes -- 209 CALORIES, 4g fat, 19g carbs, 4g Fiber, 27g PROTEIN, 284mg Sodium
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I like the Herbalife proetin shakes as well. I have tried vanilla and berry and both are great blended with frozen berries and a cup of non fat milk. I also add yogurt! Lots of protein to keep you satisfied.

I agre with trying to add greek yogurt...the protein is much higher than regular yogurt.
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    Options
    Personally, I don't like taking a milk product for protein so I use a Nutribiotic Organic Rice Protein in vanilla. I use 1 heaping Tbls 1/2 of it, then I put in 1 cup of Almond Milk (Unsweetened), 1/3 c of strawberries, 1/2 c of blueberries, ground up flax seed and blend all together then I throw in a few ice cubes to make it thick like a shake. It holds me pretty well. And the banana and other fruits do the sweetening naturally. Oh and best part, it so yummy. I have one every morning single morning and look so forward to it! Drink also if you can 2 - 8 oz glasses of water or more before it or after it also helps. It gets me through to lunch and then even I'm not crazy hungry!

That's just me, I'm not into the milk with the antibiotics added and hormones, then the Soy milk with all the genetically modified stuff going on. Almond milk is higher in calcium that Soy and I think regular milk w/o all the other crap. It's a Vegan way to do it, deliciousness.I think any time we get a change to go in that direction, our bodies respond so positively! Mine is totally. I'm in awe of that fact by experience alone.

Good luck, try it! You will be so pleased ! Oh and Herbalife is really delicious too, but expensive.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I notice most people use the whey based protein powders. Has anyone tried the egg white powders? Good? Bad?
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow, great ideas!! Thanks everyone. I used the Isagenix shakes for a year, but unfortunately, it was just getting too expensive. I will have a look for some of the protein powders suggested here. Thanks again!!:happy:
  • I like the Spirutein Protein Powder. Comes in lots of flavors too.
  • SueN113
    Options
    If you have GNC- they have a 100% Whey protein shake that I loved...I tried atleast 20 other ones that I couldn't stand.
  • ajhart321
    ajhart321 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with switching the yogurt to a Greek version for added protein, but sometimes adding a fat will keep you fuller longer, too. I put coconut oil in my morning shake as well!
  • DeathMedic
    Options
    Definitely adding protein to your shakes/smoothies will help! I have tried tons of different proteins, and I have a few favorites. The big thing to remember is: You get what you pay for!! If you buy cheap protein, it will have more fillers and not be as good of quality. As an Army nurse, I research every product that I take. My favorites: Allmax nutrition - Isoflex (most expensive, but the best quality protein on the shelf. great taste!) Allmax also has a new one protein that is fantastic - its called Hexapro. FANTASTIC TASTE!! Another protein that is great (my wife's favorite) is Syntha-6. We both love it! great taste, mixes well, tastes great!
    Also try changing up your smoothie/shake daily. I would do a peanut butter one day, mixed berry the next, chocolate another day, peanut butter banana another day, and I even got creative and started adding walnuts and pecans to different mixtures.
    Good luck with everything; feel free to message me with any questions.