Scared of Circuit Training Class

So my Y offers a Circuit Training class on Saturdays and I have been wanting to take it but I am a little scared. The instructor has a mohawk and yells! What kinds of exercises can I expect? I've been doing cardio and some weights, recently added a body toning class but I'm looking to step it up a notch. I don't want to go in there and not be able to do the exercises! Help!

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Same thing I tell my boys - don't let the yelling intimidate you. They are there for encouragement and are trying to push you, it just sounds like yelling. All trainers are different, but this is an example of what I have done when circuit training with a personal trainer

1. 2 laps of walking lunges
    2. 20 burpees
    3. 30 weighted squats
    4. 15 bicep curls - each side
    5. 15 twisting lunges with weights - each side
    REPEAT - then move on to another set of 5 exercises

ETA - can you go watch a class to see what it's like before you decide to join?
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    I tried to watch one time. There was one guy waiting who asked me if I was going in. He was the only one waiting and the instructor won't do the class if there aren't at least 3 people. I took that as a bad sign!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    It surprises me there weren't more people. My Y offers a circuit class and it's always packed! I haven't gotten the courage up to participate yet but it's in the gym and the cardio machines are all around so I can watch the class while I'm working out. They do sprints, pushups, squats, jumps on the step, situps on the stability ball, plank rows with dumbbells, lots of different jumps, jogging outside sometimes in between sets, etc. It really varies but everyone in the class is red-faced and sweating by the end and the instructor might push them with loud words but he cares that they in the right form and not overdoing it.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Go for it - circuit classes are great fun, there is so much variety that it goes by quick. Even if there are some exercises you find difficult, it will be ok. Just try your best. It is good to get out of your comfort zone and do exercises that you haven't tried before or have found too difficult. When I first started doing circuits, I found some things easy and other things almost impossible (like pushups), but the more you do it, the easier it will get, which will give you a great sense of satisfaction - and it burns loads of calories.

Go for it!!!
  • erinw1011
    Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'll give it a try this week!
  • I remember when that guy was talking to us about it, that seemed intense, good luck with that. I go to my toning class tonight and I love it!
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    DO IT!! I started last week, I could barely walk when done but it was such a great workout. You can tune out the yeller.

Heck I am 50 and 60lbs overweight, the rest of the class was about 20-27. I kept up fine, bit slower but did okay.
  • erinw1011
    DO IT!! I started last week, I could barely walk when done but it was such a great workout. You can tune out the yeller.

Heck I am 50 and 60lbs overweight, the rest of the class was about 20-27. I kept up fine, bit slower but did okay.

That's what I need, a kick in the butt. I was hoping someone would respond and say just what you did, tough but you made it through. Thank you!