Getting compliments from Gay vs Straight Men

Options

Replies

• gacowboy
    gacowboy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not all straight guys are trying to "get in your pants". I have a beautiful wife and still see women that are very attractive. Some have a youthful natural beauty and others have to maintain beauty. But beauty is beauty!! I try to remember this, I would not say anything to another woman that I would not want said to my wife! Compliments that are meant to encourage not disgust!.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The nature of the compliment is important. Graciously accepting a sincere compliment is basic etiquette, and I think it's especially important in this day and age when men are more likely to be labeled a "creeper" than to get a show of gratitude when they say something genuinely nice about a woman. But you don't have to smile politely and offer thanks if a guy tells you "You look like you'd be some good sugar." (Yes, a guy actually said that to me recently.)

I'm not sure why the gay/straight thing matters. For all the "gay discrimination" talk we've had on here lately, this seems like a reverse case of it to me.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is, women are just as bad and if anything they feel they can put their hands on you when out on a Friday night :ohwell: . But carry on, us men can be awful - makes me embarrassed to hear some men speak... :sick:

first off, i'm purely talking about compliments only.
    I never mentioned touching.

secondly, i'm not saying men are awful. I love men.

I'm sorry, I never realised we had to stick solely to what you said in the first post! I was actually extending the issue because it works both ways - women can be just as pervy my friend :smile:

I didn't say men are awful either - I said men CAN be awful.

Whats with the sharp post agains me? :frown:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I actually got hit on by a dude via PM yesterday. While I did make a joke about it, I also said thanks because it's a compliment regardless of who it comes from.
  • RH_Brazell
    Options
    I like any kind of compliment from anybody but I guess I'd be less likely to believe a straight guys some guys will just say anything..not all men though but lf someone takes the time to compliment me I usually just say thanks regardless of who its coming from...I see you're point though :)
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is, women are just as bad and if anything they feel they can put their hands on you when out on a Friday night :ohwell: . But carry on, us men can be awful - makes me embarrassed to hear some men speak... :sick:

I'm sorry, I never realised we had to stick solely to what you said in the first post! I was actually extending the issue because it works both ways - women can be just as pervy my friend :smile:

I didn't say men are awful either - I said men CAN be awful.

Whats with the sharp post agains me? :frown:

wasn't trying to attack you promise, so i apologize.

i guess you were just making a simple observation, like i was

p.s. i'm sorry you got your crotch grabbed, that is totally inappropriate. ( i missed seeing that one before i posted my above comment.)
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

As a homo - I feel like we get away with more when it comes to the ladies! lol. And my compliments are 100%... if you look like ****... i won't say it - I will just tell you that you need to rethink the outfit :D... If you look hot...I will tell you that you look smoking hot.

Unless dealing with someone with low self confidence... then i'd handle with care. lol.

:laugh: I love how you started off your post!!! I love me my gay friends... they brighten up my day. and when I look like **** they are the first to let me know!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I never get compliments from straight men in person, so I don't blush or think they are just trying to feel me up or whatever.

IF a straight man did give me a compliment then I'd say thank you and that is that. I don't understand why women read so much into things...? Just because a dude is saying you look gorgeous today does not mean he is trying to get you out of your clothes!
  • maritenour
    maritenour Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The other night at work this guy who I was ringing up said I was adorable and it totally sky rocketed my mood, because I thought he was gay. Like everything about him screamed gay. Which my Godfather(s) are gay, and I was raised around it and I love it.
    Then he goes on to say something about his wife and I got totally creeped out. It was almost as if i watched my compliment vanish into thin air.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

As a homo - I feel like we get away with more when it comes to the ladies! lol. And my compliments are 100%... if you look like ****... i won't say it - I will just tell you that you need to rethink the outfit :D... If you look hot...I will tell you that you look smoking hot.

Unless dealing with someone with low self confidence... then i'd handle with care. lol.

I agree. When's the last time I let a random straight guy grab my boobs? Um.. never. But my gay friend.. he did! Also, in my Concert Outfit thread... I had a self proclaimed "gay fashionista" tell me I was rocking the dress and to trust him. Guess what? I do!!! haha... I'm wearing the dress.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    A lesbian once said she liked my flannel shirt. I took it as a compliment.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT82FKzw3Copx5iBuuMrvn7E4sxfVI0a1Vwla_cRXdP5gB7K5bs

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    To me, as long as it's a genuine compliment, I'm flattered. No matter if it's from a gay man or a straight man. But if the compliment is overly sexual or just on the creepy side, it's 1. probably only coming from the straight guy (seeing as a gay man isn't trying to get down my pants) and 2. just inappropriate.

On another note, when I get complimented by another woman (gay or straight) I take it as a HUGE compliment, because a woman won't just go compliment you unless she really means it.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Actually compliments from a gay guy make me feel good like if a friend was telling me because they're going to be honest with me (honest meaning, they'd tell me if I did NOT look good in an outfit, shoes, etc).

Lol! I hear ya! Having one gay brother, and all his friends...Yep, they will definately be honest. If they love what you're wearing or you just look good in general, they're gonna let you know. And if you look horrible in something, they're all over it!!!
  • MommaH_78
    MommaH_78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just don't take compliments well at all, unless I know it is someone jsut saying it out of the blue, not bc we were on the topic, I usually just think they are "trying to be nice" ... but until I think more highly of myself I probably won't take anyone seriously, bc I see what they are looking at, and it's gross for now!!! :wink:

But if it is just some random guy gay or straight I take it, bc they have no reason to be saying it, unless you are in a bar scene... thats a different story!! :happy:
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I would be overjoyed by a compliment by pretty much anyone. I'm 61 and I'd be kinda sure a compliment didn't mean the person wanted to "sleep" with me.
    I've lost 54 pounds, but I must be invisible, because I never get a comment, much less a compliment.
    If you get compliments, I confess, I envy you.:sad:

Based on your profile picture...you have one great eye!!
  • robbiejay1971
    Options
    As a gay man, I compliment al of my friends if they are looking good, but I tend not to be brutal with the ones that aren't. Anyone can tell their friends they look like crap, it doesn't have to be a gay man!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I am the total opposite! When my gay guy friends tell me I look great I take it with a grain of salt. I mean it's like my girl friends telling me I look nice. They are my friends and tell me things to be nice, even when I don't I imagine. When a straight guy compliments me they must think I'm hot! Lol!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: what?
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    One of the nicest compliments I've gotten in a long time was from a gay friend I have. We were all sitting at dinner one night (huge group of us) and he looked at me and said, "you're looking really pretty today". Not 20 minutes later, he said just about the same thing. Made my entire week!
    Now if only my husband would get the idea of, "you look fine, or you look ok" is NOT complimenting me in my book =P
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get a compliment from a gay man, I love it, I take it for what it is, say thank you and feel great about myself.

But whenever I get a compliment from a straight man, I am skeptical, I assume he's saying just to get some action, and it makes me feel awkward and I blush.

Any ladies have the same problem???

Is there something wrong with me????

Straight men are your compliments just as genuine as a gay man's.

As a man that works with plenty of gay men sometimes I feel the exact opposite but really does it even matter?