just a little whining--- losing weight without exercise? and

Options
I exercise almost everyday. yes, it is tough, yes it is hard work! leaves me to ponder this question. Have you lost weight with diet alone? or know anyone that has lost weight with diet alone? and what was the outcome? Can an outsider tell the difference just by looking at someone's body if they exercised and dieted or only dieted?

The answers will not change what I'm doing. I think exercising is good for me and my soul! However, sometimes, I just want to run away from it! (you know the feeling) :)

Replies

• AubreysMommy30
    AubreysMommy30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 lbs from diet alone... I read somewhere that for those of us who have a considerable amount to lose, most of our initial weight loss should come from a dietary change. I wish I could remember where I read that so I could link it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, it all comes down to the calorie deficit.

An outsider won't be able to tell the difference if you are fully clothed, but if you are wearing shorts, a bikini, sleeveless top etc then they probably would be able to tell, as with exercise you would probably have more muscle tone than you would if it was all diet.

Edit: I have no experience with losing weight through diet alone, this is just all based on other people's stories and experiences.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 lbs from diet alone... I read somewhere that for those of us who have a considerable amount to lose, most of our initial weight loss should come from a dietary change. I wish I could remember where I read that so I could link it.

I am the same way i lost my first 20 with diet, and then I realized that I would rather be fit than a skinny fat, so I started training.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I exercise almost everyday. yes, it is tough, yes it is hard work! leaves me to ponder this question. Have you lost weight with diet alone? or know anyone that has lost weight with diet alone? and what was the outcome? Can an outsider tell the difference just by looking at someone's body if they exercised and dieted or only dieted?

The answers will not change what I'm doing. I think exercising is good for me and my soul! However, sometimes, I just want to run away from it! (you know the feeling) :)

You can lose weight with diet alone, but exercise helps you tone. I have experienced both, lost weight with no exercise (which for me was quicker and some say its because I wanst building lean muscle) and now I am adding exercise and the scales doesnt move that fast, but inches are lost.

Edit: My co worker is doing the Ideal Protein diet and she said she is NOT allowed to exercise at this time, or just lightly, no strength training, because the scale will not move as fast. When I asked why the diet doesnt allow this she said the trainer told her because the plan "promoses" or "states" weight loss of so much a week and the exercise will not show the weight loss this fast.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

I am the same way i lost my first 20 with diet, and then I realized that I would rather be fit than a skinny fat, so I started training.

so many people are skinny fat! and I want to be fit and healthy -- plus exercise has so many more benefits than just weight loss!! :)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Last week I didn't work out at all and dropped 3.6 lbs
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    following MFP you will lose weight at the same rate whether you exercise or not. The difference being that if you exercise you will be more fit and healthy, as well as a lower BF% at your goal weight.
  • bergsangel
    Options
    Yes, i actually lose weight better/faster with just diet alone, but end up kind of skinny fat. And of course, it never works long-term because I cannot eat at that deficit forever :)
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would think it's a lot slower process! And they say excercise helps build your heart strong. I can't say for everyone, but it makes me feel good to do exercise! That's part of the complete package, is to lose the unwanted fat and have a strong heart! :wink:
  • Janet55555555555
    Options
    I feel in my life exercising is important. You can lose weight on the diet alone but for me my skin feels real toned.
  • SewerUrchin
    Options
    I lost most of my weight so far through dieting, I only joined the gym a few weeks ago. Basically, my theory is that dieting makes you look hot in clothes. Exercising makes you look hot naked.
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    Last week I didn't work out at all and dropped 3.6 lbs

That's amazing. I'm so jealous!
  • lissamok
    Options
    I lost most of my weight so far through dieting, I only joined the gym a few weeks ago. Basically, my theory is that dieting makes you look hot in clothes. Exercising makes you look hot naked.

So true! I love this outlook, it makes me want to run around like a hamster.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Dieting alone works fine if you are just trying to drop weight. However it leaves a lot of people looking like a deflated tire. Just my opinion. If you want to look good without clothes, exercise is a key element.
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options

:happy: , nice way to put it!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I personally think 80% of the weight I lost was from diet. But you can tell IMO if someone is just dieting or if they are exercising too. The people who exercise just look better, they lose inches, everything starts to tone and not be squishy.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    there was a thread around here somewhere, i am trying to lok for it. if i find it i will post it. This thread was about a woman who used diet and under eating to lose weight her 1st time, this time did it correctly and exercised, etc and she posted pics of herself under 130 when she under ate and this time at 130 with exercise and you can for sure tell the difference. even though the scale was more she looked a whole lot better and healthier!
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm losing with only diet so far. I'd love to exercise but having a hard time finding the time. Exercise makes dieting easier because you can "eat back" your exercise calories and still lose weight. But in the end losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit however that is achieved.
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I too lost my initial 20 lbs with diet alone. However I can tell on myself and have a couple of co-workers that I could tell were losing on diet alone. You can see it in the arm flab and in the buns/thigh area.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I did and now I have to build up the lean mass I lost.

You really should adopt a great lifting program thats created for strength.
    I wish I knew that cardio wasnt all that necessary but weight lifting was.
    I would have done things differently!