New to running

Options
Hey everyone! I just wanted a little bit of feed back as far as training to run. I have been doing the Couch to 5k for a few weeks now. I can not get passed week 2. I have a lot of problems with pain in my shins, and in my feet. I am roughly 145lbs, but I feel like my legs are carrying 500+ when I am running. Any tips on how to make it a little easier on me?

Replies

• metre20
    Options
    Have you tried going to a specialty running store and having your gait analyzed. Shin splints can be caused by overpronation which causes little tears on the tendons that attach on the front/inside of your shins. Proper shoes can help this out immensly.

I know this because when I started running, I was fitted incorrectly and ended up wearing shoes that weren't right for me. I ended up being severely injured and it took almost a year to heal fully (I was back running within a couple of weeks though and have now done 2 10K races and am training for my first half marathon!). Icing after runs does wonders as well!

Good luck!
  • alexa_ann
    alexa_ann Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey! I started the couch to 5k program about a month ago. I was kinda nervous about it because around a year ago I had a knee problem that left me unable to walk for 2 months.

I was having the same problem as you, my shins and ankles were not feeling well AT ALL around the second week. I find that After I run if I drink a protein shake (I use GNC amp 60) it not only helps me with AFTER my runs with being so sore I want to die.
    After I finished the 2nd week and started the 3rd my legs felt a ton better, For me, I think it was just because i wasn't used to using those muscles, I'm now getting to the point where I love running!

Good luck on your running adventures!
  • trlrnrgrl
    Options
    +1 on getting fit at a local running store for some good running shoes. Another option to try is to run on softer surfaces than asphalt or concrete roads or sidewalks - dirt roads, trails, even tracks. Sometimes you can even run along the sides of roads (off the road) on the dirt part and that can help.

Also, are you stretching your calves after you run? I don't know if this is true, but I have also heard that shin splints can be caused by tight calf muscles pulling on the muscles around your shin.

Good luck!
  • thka1102
    thka1102 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm facing similar problems. I'm not really new to running, but I find that when I run for more than 3/4ths of a mile my toes start to go numb and my legs and stomach start to itch. I thought that maybe my shoes were too tight and that my running clothes weren't breathable, but I've loosened my laces and tried cotton shorts and shirts and nothing seems to help. I've resorted now to running a half mile at a time. I want to run a 5k in April, but at this rate there's no way!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing the C25K program last year, I had the same issues with knees and feet hurting the first few runs. I switched to bettter running shoes and made sure to really stretch before and after my workouts. It helped tremedously! I just had to switch my shoes out again yesterday because those same ones were no longer working for the longer distances I am running now. I haven't been fitted for shoes but a good friend of mine recommended the Nike Dual Fusion ST 2 shoes and I am eternally grateful! They made a big difference in my run.

ETA - Nike's tend to run small so I recommend getting a half size bigger.

Good luck in your training!
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program last May and am now able to run 6 miles! Here are a few of the most important adjustments that I made for myself during the time I began running:

1) I had patellar and IT band tendonitis in prior years, which kept from doing anything running-related. Because of this, I made sure to ABIDE by ALL rest days (always taking a rest day in between running days) and by stretching my legs and icing my knees when I got home. Because I followed this plan, I have been injury free the entire time.

2) I too began to have shin pain problems in my first couple weeks of the program. I believe this has a lot to do with how you run. It may sound silly, but I highly recommend that you look up videos of proper running form. To truly have a good running form means you are not flexing your foot as much, which means you won't get that overtired feeling and pain in your shins. You should be leaning forward a bit, as if you were falling into your run (yes, this DOES take some core and lower back strength, so it is a GOOD thing to be using and building these muscles as you learn to run), and your feet should be kicking back behind you like you are trying to step on a postage stamp and have it stick to the bottom of your foot (yes, weird analogy, but it was in one of the videos and I'll always remember it). Long story short, proper form should help, if not fix, this problem. It may also help your foot pain, since you should not be heel striking as much with proper form.

I am 5'3" and began running last year at a size 16, 209lbs. I'm currently a size 12, 193 lbs, and looking into running my first half marathon this year. Stick with it, hydrate, work on form, and recover properly, and you should be a runner in no time! Remember that slower is better than not at all. Good luck!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm facing similar problems. I'm not really new to running, but I find that when I run for more than 3/4ths of a mile my toes start to go numb and my legs and stomach start to itch. I thought that maybe my shoes were too tight and that my running clothes weren't breathable, but I've loosened my laces and tried cotton shorts and shirts and nothing seems to help. I've resorted now to running a half mile at a time. I want to run a 5k in April, but at this rate there's no way!

Have you tried wearing wicking running gear? It makes a huge difference because the sweat is not clinging to you and keeps it away from your body, whereas cotton makes it cling to you. That may be what is causing the irritation to your skin. I'm not sure what could be causing the toe numbness but maybe try switching to a different pair of shoes in a half size larger to see if that helps. I did find an article on Runner's World that answers questions about numb feet that may be useful for you. http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.com/2008/10/uncomfortably-numb-the-importance-of-properly-fitted-shoes.html
  • Graciecny
    Options
    This doesn't have anything to do with running, but I replaced my old shoes with new ones (same brand, same size, same model, just a different color) and my toes started get a little tingly on the elliptical! I think my old shoes had stretched out some and the new ones seem too tight. Just a thought for you about the numbness. Don't know if it will help or not....