Protein bars for snack

Options
Can anyone recommend a good protein bar that isn't crazy high in calories for a mid morning snack? I eat a big breakfast, but need something to hold me until lunch time. I usually work out over my lunch hour so I don't eat until about 1:00 p.m.

Thanks!

Replies

• MissJenn33
    Options
    I really really like Think Thin bars. They have 20g or so of protein, 230-250 cals a bar and 0 sugar. But they do taste really good. I LOVE the white chocolate one the most. You can check out their website for more info. You can buy em in Trader Joes & I found em in Walmart too. They are 1.69 a bar in trader Joes and 2 a piece in Walmart.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    LUNA protein, KIND, or Larabars. All 180-220 cals, I believe. The last two aren't protein - they're nut-based and have really good fats in them.
  • jelybean43
    jelybean43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the Kashi Go Lean bars. They have less than 200 calories and some great flavors! The chocolate pretzle ones are my favorite. They're a little pricey in the grocery store but I found them fairly cheap at Costco.
  • con326
    Options
    Fiber one has a few 90 calorie snacks that have decent protein amounts and they taste really good
  • goobear3
    Options
    I am hooked on the Supreme Protein bars (you can find them in GNC or 7-11 and stuff)...the caloric count varies, and they have a variety of flavors. I don't eat the whole thing...I eat half a bar in the morning and the other half in the afternoon and it's very satisfying. My favorite is the Peanut Butter and Pretzel bar...mmm! Check it out on-line.
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Luna is my favorite or Special K has a small protein bar also.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I really really like Think Thin bars. They have 20g or so of protein, 230-250 cals a bar and 0 sugar. But they do taste really good. I LOVE the white chocolate one the most. You can check out their website for more info. You can buy em in Trader Joes & I found em in Walmart too. They are 1.69 a bar in trader Joes and 2 a piece in Walmart.

these are yummy but not very good for yo - full of artifical ingredients, with lots of hidden sugar alchohols... I love them too but treat them as a candy bar.. Also, due to all the artificial ingredients they tend to cause stomach upsets....
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love Luna bars. They are 180-190 cal. 9-15g protein. 70% organic, and super yummy. I feel like I'm eating something "bad" when I eat them.
  • divinesoul
    divinesoul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I bought Pure Protein bars from Costco yesterday. 20gm protein per bar.
  • IrishFanVSG
    IrishFanVSG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like a brand called Bariwise. They have a peanut butter and a caramel crunch that are about 160-170 in calories with 15 grams of protein. They also have a lemon one that is like a rice crispie treat that is around those same numbers. Quest has good protein bars. The natural ones are also under 200 calories with 20 grams of protein. Check bariwise at www.dietdirect.com and the quest bars at www.netrition.com. Pure protein aren't bad but not as good as either of these.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I like Muscle Milk Light Vanilla Toffee Crunch bars. Tastes like a candy bar, 160 calories, 15g of protein. I stumbled on these last week when my grocery store had them on special for $1 each.
  • mariachi
    mariachi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    PowerBar Pure and Simple (Cranberry Oatmeal)
    130 Calories
    2.5 Fat
    Sugars 10g
    Fiber 2g
    Protein 5g
  • msjamartin
    Options
    I like Luna and Kashi...I tried the new Luna Mint Protein however and it was horrid. The first option of theirs that I really couldn't eat. The regular Luna only have 8-10 grams of protein but they are all below 200 calories. The Kashi are really filling and bigger than most with good options and ingrediants (but like another poster said a bit more in cost)
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are between 18-20 g of protein and 180-210 calories with just a few grams of sugar 2-3 I think. Quest bars are delicious, but twice as expensive and you must order them online.
  • lolitsangela
    Options
    Chocolate-dipped coconut Luna bars are heavenly, around 190 calories, and filling enough for a snack to hold you over. :]
  • Sweetncgal78
    Sweetncgal78 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Snackwells Cereal Bars have 140 cal and 8g of protein
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm personally a huge fan of Think Thin (brownie crunch and creamy PB are my favorites) since they are high in protein but no sugar. I also love Adkins bars. You can get some for 150 calories or so with 10 gram of protein. The Luna/Special K all of those have enough carbs/sugar that you could just have a Snickers and be done with it I think. Sugar and carbs are real killers in most bars.
  • whallvr
    whallvr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars! 180-190

My favorites are Chocolate Peppermint Stick and the Coconut One. There are a lot of choices though.
  • cortycrazy
    cortycrazy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    special k, the double chocolate is the best! i think it's only like 170 cals too :)
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like Luna bars, especially the blueberry ones, but HATE that they say something about "for women" on the side of the wrapper. I've been told the MET-Rx Big 100 bars are good choices, but haven't really done any research to support that. I also like the CLIF bars.