When do you stop feeling fat

Options

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I agree. I am not sure it ever goes away.

If only I had a beauty queen complex. :giggle: :laugh:
  • mlosesweight
    Options
    i feel fat. i haven't really lost any weight yet, but people tell me i don't need to. i hope that feeling goes away!!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people who have never been fat a day in their life and yet they complain about how fat they are.

My conclusion: everyone always feels fat forever.
    while I dont "feel" fat.. I still sometimes make the mistake of telling fat guy jokes.... and of course that only leads to the "WTF you're not fat" conversation.

I had enough fat guy jokes to write a whole Jim Gaffigan hour-long Comedy Central special. Once I hit my goal weight, I'm gonna have to write all new material. :(
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    ::sigh:: I don't know. I can't wait to hopefully get there some day though.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I ever will. I've spent the majority of my life as a fat guy. It's hard for me to think of myself any other way.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I feel this way, too...some days I feel like superwoman, other days, a frump.

Like melsinct, I try to look at old pictures, look at my body fat measurements I've been keeping track of, and get a reality check.

I'm hoping it comes with time. I figure it's part of my learning process, my evolution, to get my brain in line with my body.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    ... sigh ... I'm not sure it ever goes away ... and that is sad. After all the hard work - blood, sweat and tears, I still see a FAT girl when I look in the mirror ... I just want her to go away already!
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    I went from a size 24 to a size 1, but the loose skin made me feel like I was still fat- as another poster said. I felt more normal being heavier than I did looking like a deflated balloon. I think that's part of the reason I let my weight get back up so much. But when I was thin, I still found myself doing things that I did when I was heavy- like pulling the seat belt all the way out to get it around me, holding my stomach muscles in all day, pulling my pants up too high (yeah, that's weird, but it felt better than having the waist band in between my rolls- and when I was thin, it held the loose skin still), turning sideways on a staircase if someone was passing me in the opposite direction...
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    It's a year later and on most days I still feel fat. I know this is ridiculous since I'm a size 0 and wear XS, but it's a mind thing. Hopefully it will go away one day for you and myself as well.
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have wondered that too. I think I have always had a distorted body image. Sometimes I feel like wow I really am not fat anymore and sometimes I expect to have trouble fitting in chairs. It has gotten better though. Its not a daily surprise anymore that I am not as big as I once was. I compare it to quitting smoking, in the beginning I thought about having a cigarette almost all the time, then it was once or twice a day, then weekly, monthly and so on. after that I would have dreams that I was smoking again and would wake up and be relieved that it was a dream. Thats what losing the weight has been like in a way for me anyway.

I feel like I will always struggle with it but that with time it will continue to be less of a struggle. The only thing I have to keep in front of me is to keep moving no matter what.

I think finding people that understand and talking to them about it really helps. Thats whats so nice about this site.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Funny thing....I never thought I was that fat. At 5' 3" tall and 182 lbs, I felt I looked "pretty good"..............most of the time. I didn't think about my weight too much, and wasn't very upset about it (until the Doc said I was 'obese', and that started this process of change.)

Now, 21 lbs lighter, I am waiting for my big tummy to go away, and I really want to wear smaller sizes! I am about 2 sizes smaller, but it's not enough...............and I feel like a fatty. I do like certain aspects of how I look now - my neck is smaller, I don't have a triple chin, people are really noticing...........but I still feel like a fatty.

ugggh.........
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The fat person insde never really goes away. Even when I was a size 2, and in crazy-amazing shape, that fat person lingered in the back of my mind.

With that said, it does get easier to ignore that voice, over time, and accept it.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    This is a very good question. Everyone talks about HOW to lose the weight, but few talk about the emotional impact of losing a lot of weight. I have been at my goal weight for 2 years on March 5th. I still struggle with my "fat brain." At first I would take my clothes out of the dryer and think, "Who the hell do these belong to?" The clothes looked so tiny. I used to order all of my fat clothes online. I still order clothes online and when I get them, they are too big. I always pick out sizes in a store that are far too large for me and am still surprised when I try them on. Sometimes I will catch my reflection in a mirror or window and think, "Dang! Is that REALLY me?" Sometimes people will be talking to me and comment that I am so tiny. I look around the room to see who they are talking to.

We were used to seeing a different reflection in the mirror for years. You don't become morbidly obese overnight. That person was familiar to us. Change takes time to adjust to. Time has really helped me. I wear a size small top and 4/6 pants. My "fat brain" is improving and I no longer see myself as a size 20. Now I grab size 10s. I am working my way down in sizes in my brain ... just like I did when I lost the actual pounds.

Hang in there! It gets better and better as time goes by.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    im on day# 868, i went from a 24W to a 7/8. (im 5'10)

as far as my brain is concerned, the XS tee on my bed was a very not funny joke that i played on myself. Nevermind that it fits, my brain refuses to believe Im half what I was.

After I hit the 60 lb loss mark, my self esteem started to tank because I didnt deal with any of my real issues that my weight problem had been hiding, and I suddenly felt so exposed and vulnerable.

Ive decided to spend the remainder of my time as a fatty dealing with the issues that make me one, and hopefully I will be in a much better state of mind-existence to be able to handle my smaller body as it develops.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I've lost a considerable amount of weight. I feel really, really good and proud about this. My clothing used to be size 3x or 24. Now I wear a size M or S and size 10. While I see and know that my body is a smaller size, there are still those moments when I feel big. I know this feeling will diminish over time but will it really? Or will I always feel larger than normal?

First Congrats on your loss.

Second. You have spent all of your life developing some form of emotional response from your weight, most likely this has effected your ego, your confidence level and your anxiety.

It sucks but this will never go away.... Sometimes it drives people to become body builders and other times it drives people to go back to their old ways

My advice to you is to aim for the middle and keep on keeping on because you can always get healthier but the main point is that you are healthy !
  • yoovie
    Options
    I've lost a considerable amount of weight. I feel really, really good and proud about this. My clothing used to be size 3x or 24. Now I wear a size M or S and size 10. While I see and know that my body is a smaller size, there are still those moments when I feel big. I know this feeling will diminish over time but will it really? Or will I always feel larger than normal?

Second. You have spent all of your life developing some form of emotional response from your weight, most likely this has effected your ego, your confidence level and your anxiety.

It sucks but this will never go away.... Sometimes it drives people to become body builders and other times it drives people to go back to their old ways

My advice to you is to aim for the middle and keep on keeping on because you can always get healthier but the main point is that you are healthy !

yo thanks man! I know it wasnt aimed at me- but it helped!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

yo thanks man! I know it wasnt aimed at me- but it helped!

Aimed at every one !
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think "Fat" is as much a state of mind as a physical manifestation. It's something you need to work towards and it's a self-perception issue. When will enough be enough? That's for you to decide.

But even still, EVERYONE has days where they "feel" fat - even fit people. You just feel bloated or cranky or gross or whatever.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm not anywhere near my final goal yet, but I've dropped 6 dress sizes. My mind is all over the place about it. Some days I am disgusted by how fat I still am. Other days I think I look thin. I'm horrified by the size of my belly, but can't believe how much smaller my thighs are.

I cannot pass a mirror or window without looking at myself. Sometimes it doesn't feel like me.

I wonder if this is made worse by having been very fat for a long time. The person I see is someone else most of the time, and then the old fat blob the rest of the time. *sigh*
  • yoovie
    Options
    I went from a size 24 to a size 1, but the loose skin made me feel like I was still fat- as another poster said. I felt more normal being heavier than I did looking like a deflated balloon. I think that's part of the reason I let my weight get back up so much. But when I was thin, I still found myself doing things that I did when I was heavy- like pulling the seat belt all the way out to get it around me, holding my stomach muscles in all day, pulling my pants up too high (yeah, that's weird, but it felt better than having the waist band in between my rolls- and when I was thin, it held the loose skin still), turning sideways on a staircase if someone was passing me in the opposite direction...

:( I do so many of these as well. Taking wide turns. Trying to squeze through area that I could walk directly through, panicking Im about to get a manslaughter charge when someone picks me up.