Skinny B****

Options
2»

Replies

• leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much a vegan/vegetarian based diet.

I tried that, but found the vegans a bit too stringy even when well marinated.

LOL.

I wasn't that into the book. I bounce back and forth between vegetarian, vegan and omnivoire and have friends with each diet. (Those friends, unlike me, aren't currently in need of weight loss.) I guess I feel like there's a way to be healthy with most eating choices, but I don't need any of them to include insults.
  • SassyJuliana
    SassyJuliana Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hated it! I will mail you mine if you want!

It's kinda rude, and completely vegan. I am not against vegan-ism (or any choice people make) but I do not like anything radical. I though it was going to be a totally different thing...
  • danicamper
    Options
    I recommend you read Perfect Weight America. I dont follow the diet plan but I learned a lot about eatting better and feeling better. Totally worth the read!
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It started out ok and then seemed to go totally crazy. They basically want you to become a vegan and not eat anything fun ever again. Not for me.

Please do some research. I gained weight because I ate delicious vegan things.

I second this!... And I take offense to not eating anything "fun" remark... I eat amazing food everyday that is both tasty and healthy.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I picked it up at a bookstore and browsed through it... I didn't buy it because I don't care for their style or that they wrote the book in a way that lives up to their self-named moniker... at least in my opinion.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I read it and it was too rigid on things. It is interesting and it gives you things to think about but I don't base my diet or exercise plan on things they say.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much a vegan/vegetarian based diet.

I tried that, but found the vegans a bit too stringy even when well marinated.

Try them in a crockpot with a can of cola. The acid helps to emulsify and tenderize. I tend to add too much salt, though.
  • lissamok
    Options
    You may have my copy of the book also. It started out cute and in your face, but honestly, I couldn't maintain the lifestyle it suggested. They do bring up great points about our perspectives on food though.
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I read the book after my roommate suggested it, and I liked their rude sense of humor. That's why there's the word "B****" on the cover. That book, and watching the documentary "Forks over Knives," helped me make the personal choice to become a pescatarian two months ago, but with a big focus on just eating cleaner, with more whole foods and fresh fruit and vegetables. My decision was largely in response to some serious health issues in my family, though.

I am not perfect to the people who wrote that book or that movie, and I don't care, but after all the outside research I've done, I firmly believe just eating one vegan meal a week will help your body immensely. You don't have to "give up" meat entirely, but a lot of people do benefit from it, and obviously, I'm still eating fish. I do, however, eat mostly vegetarian and try to eat vegan when I can. I think it's pretty obvious that there are problems in the meat industry many of us can't control, but I don't try to push that on others. I just try to do what I think is best for me and what I feel is comfortable for my body, and you should do the same.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My friend has the book and she liked it, I like the whole in your face business I think its funny but I love chicken, steak, salmon, cheese etc to ever be vegan, I tried being a vegetarian for 6 months and I didn't really notice a difference.

To the people taking offense to the not eating anything fun comment I don't think she meant it in the way you're taking it but to me I think eating steak or salmon is fun so maybe that's what she meant
  • funnypubgirl
    Options
    I have the book and have read a significant portion of it. Found it to be funny and offensive at times but educational. It promotes a strict vegan, coffee-free, and alcohol-free diet (for the most part). While I do believe a vegan diet is the most healthiest way to feed our bodies, the diet is just to restrictive for me! I could never, and frankly, don't want to give up coffee, or the occasional beer or glass of wine! I have used the book to educate myself on food choices and have made some changes to my diet but I still still enjoy things like dairy, sugar, animal protein, etc... in moderation.
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I personally loved the book. It was a fun read and full of great information. I finished it in one day. That being said, it is definitely a vegan diet so if that's not something you want to follow then it would probably be a waste of your time. But, as all the other vegan posters have said, being vegan is awesome and full of delicious food so don't knock it til you've tried it :)
  • MirelaH
    MirelaH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan. And I hated this book. I don't like being yelled at! LOL Some people really loved it though. I would suggest getting it from the library or eBay before purchasing it.

And I would also like to add that vegan food is fun! And delicious! More people need to step out of their comfort zones and try new things!