LOW IORN but I hate livers, oysters, etc that has high iorn

Options
I think I may have an iorn deficiency. Not that I think I'm anemic becaues I don't have all the signs but I especially get tired, cold, and winded during menstration. I do not enjoy any of the high iorn foods like oysters and liver and iorn pills DO NOT AGREE WITH ME. Any one have any ides for getting in the RDA. I have yet to meet the requiremens suggested on MFP.

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    How about beans? I hate oysters and the such, but I can eat a ton of beans.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just take a multivitamin that is high in iron its the only way I can get my iron up!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Lifted from Web MD
    To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:

Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes
    And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I would be wary of self-diagnosing. Your symptoms could indicate a myriad of deficiencies. I would see your PCP and ask for some basic bloodwork to be done.

That said, I believe spinach is relatively high in iron.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Take a supplement.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I eat beef....never even thought about trying all that other crap you listed. (other than iron pills and that's only when I'm bad, bad, bad low on iron)
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I eat Kellogs Frosted Mini Wheats almost every morning. I didn't realize until I started doing MFP that it has 90% of your daily intake.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have to take a pill since mine is so low

alot of times it doesnt "agree" with people if they take it on an empty stomach (happened to me this weekend) or just certain ones...have you tried a couple.

I hate beans, oysters and all the iron rich foods as well

what about trying to up eggs and spinach? Those are pretty easy to incorporate into alot of recipes/meals
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    How's your red meat consumption? It's not ideal, but maybe upping your red meat could increase your iron.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get the vitamin c too!!!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Take a supplement.

Yep.
  • sco8462
    Options
    Don't forget Spinach.
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    spninach has a good deal of iron in it, also red meat (not just liver) has iron in, you could make yourself a spinach salad w/ steak on the side or blend up some spinach with other fruits and veggies and some ice in a smoothie.

Have you tried googling to see what other high iron foods are out there? I'm not 100% sure about it myself but I know when "TOM" is due I usually want burgers or steak or something like that to help with the iron I'm gonna be losing.
  • Bostonstacey
    Bostonstacey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    http://www.ironrichfood.org

This site breaks lists of high-iron foods down into sub-groups (like nuts and seeds and vegetables). Hope it helps!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I think I may have an iorn deficiency. Not that I think I'm anemic becaues I don't have all the signs but I especially get tired, cold, and winded during menstration. I do not enjoy any of the high iorn foods like oysters and liver and iorn pills DO NOT AGREE WITH ME. Any one have any ides for getting in the RDA. I have yet to meet the requiremens suggested on MFP.

Red beets, spinach, kale, broccoli, oatmeal (I know, right? whoda thunk). I am anemic and eat all these foods. I take a beet juice supplement and a green leaf supplement that has spinach, kale, broccoli, etc.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses, if you can find it.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I take a womens one a day vitam. It has 100% Iron. Love it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You should get tested if you're concerned, but dark green leafy veg like cabbage, watercress, black cabbage are all good sources especially when taken with vit C.

Also, fortified cereals, beans, pulses, red meat.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I would be wary of self-diagnosing. Your symptoms could indicate a myriad of deficiencies. I would see your PCP and ask for some basic bloodwork to be done.

That said, I believe spinach is relatively high in iron.

This definitely. Your symptoms are only occuring during TOM which doesn't really reflect anything. If you have a concern you should see a doctor.
  • Kim1118
    Kim1118 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I take Vitron-C (recommended by my doc) that really helps. Since you can't tolerate the pills, check out this site...it's quite helpful in selecting the most iron-rich foods:

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/dietary_sources_iron.html