Disney World Florida

Options
VeganInTraining
VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
Hello Everyone!
We are planning a trip to Disney world in Florida and would love some input. We are thinking of staying to the Caribbean Resort or Wilderness Resort and both look great and got good reviews on trip advisor.

Have any of you staying in any of their resorts? Which ones do you like?

Have you done any of their package deals? Which ones do you like? We are thinking hotel, 4 day park hopper, and the meal plan.

I'm not sure what the "Magic your way" is but we thought about doing that package too.

I have been to Disney World before but this will be my first time actually being the one making the plans, and input you all have would be fantasic!

Thanks!

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    Options
    anyone? I expected people to have all sorts of stuff to say about disney
  • MissJenn33
    Options
    We went to Disney in November. We booked thru AAA so we got amazing deals. Our Deluxe Meal Plan was FREE!!! We did a 5 day park hopper and had more than enough time to get on all the rides we wanted. I planned it all from lists of rides in each park that were "Must Rides" to making the 1 sit down reservation per day. We booked last Feb and had it all finalized and ready in September. I felt like a planner extraordinaire!

How old are your kiddos? When are you going and how long are you staying? This matters a lot. Mine are 8 & 6 yr old boys. So we had to do all the "boys stuff". We stayed at the value All Star Movies. We went to every park multiple times, saw parades, met characters, rode the scary coasters, played in the pool, took naps. It really was a great trip. That's a lot coming from me. I'm really not into disney stuff but I'd go back in a second.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    I practically live in Disney World :laugh: I'm a kid at heart. I have year long passes and I always stay at the Polynesian Resort. I don't go with kids since I don't have any but the best place to stay if you have kids has got to be Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. I feel like I'm not in Florida anymore lol I also love camping at Fort Wilderness.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome trip! I used to have a AAA card but didn't re-up this year, luckily, I'm military so we get 40% off the resorts.

It will be just me and my husband, no kids yet (honestly, hoping to be pregnant by then) We plan to stay for 3 nights and get a 4 day park hopper. How was the all star movies? Also, what's included in the Deluxe meal plan, I just saw "meal plan" and didn't see if there are different ones.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would for sure do the meal plan and park hopper! I LOVE the All Star Resorts, so that is where I would stay if we go again!
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    We are going the second week in March, and I am kind of nervous about the food and not working out. I've been doing pretty good the past few months, and something like this is where I normally blow it. I'm just hoping I walk enough while I am there to burn off the road food and not cooking for myself.

Any thoughts on plans for eating somewhat healthy?
  • littleaprilina
    Options
    My boyfriend took my to Disney for my birthday so I have no idea what he paid or anything.
    I know he got a 3 day park pass to any of the parks but that's about it.
    We stayed at the Caribbean Resort and I LOVED it. It was so lovely.

Not very helpful I know! But the Caribbean Resort is gorgeous and we plan on going back & staying there again soon!
    Hope you have fun!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    We just stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter, which is the smallest resort on the property. We loved it. It was beside a river that had a great path going to the Port Orleans Riverside resort.
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have a friend who loved disney so much she decided to be a disney travel agent, she knows everything about the resorts, she always posts food pics on FB...evil woman...send me a message if you want her info
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving for my 10th visit on Friday! I have a mickey mouse tattoo and know the parks like the back of my hand. The dining plans are AMAZING deals - IF you use them smartly. Both resorts you mentioned are fine - any of the resorts on the property really are. Feel free to PM me with specific questions - I love to help people plan it all out!!
  • 1ArmyMom1
    Options
    I live in Orlando and you definitely want to do the meal deal... SO worth it!!
    I've stayed at the AllStar resorts and as far as Disney goes, that probably the most affordable except for the camping.
    If you can do a breakfast with the characters, that is A LOT of fun, great food, pics w/the characters and breakfast is more affordable than dinner... no sure about how that would work if you're doing a meal plan.
    I pretty much think any resort you stay at in Disney will be wonderful, they are all very well kept, it just depends on how much you want to spend and what amenities you want in your hotel.
    Have a wonderful trip, it will be so much fun!!
  • krisbeeler
    Options
    I've never posted on MFP before, but I've got some good info for you. We've been many times. We use http://www.touringplans.com for figuring out when the crowd is lowest. It is worth the $13 membership fee, and comes with phone app. called Lines that lets you know what the wait times are.

We also use http://www.allears.net for all general info. Great site, but hard to navigate.

We like to stay at Beach Club because it's close to EPCOT (walking distance). The kids (10 and 8) love it because it's like a big children's museum, and they really love the Kim Possible game among many other things. EPCOT has alcohol (if you like that... we do... it helps one deal with the crowds better ;) and it also has the best places to eat.

We've gotten the free Dining Plan before, but I don't think I would buy it unless you just really need the convenience. Maybe the Quick Service Plan is ok to buy, but otherwise it's not cheaper usually. It just depends.

Also, we book directly through WDW, but again, their site is weird and hard to navigate. Sometimes fees and add ons are automatically added that you may not want or even notice. Just look carefully. :)

I also suggest the Park Hopper add on. When you see the Per Park Crowd Calendar found on Touring Plans, you'll understand why. You might want to go to a more empty park in the a.m. and to the Extra Magic Hours park (which ever that may be that day) in the late evening since lots of people w/o the PH add on have left due to tiredness.

I could go on forever. :)
  • alorick
    alorick Posts: 194
    Options
    We went in December. The Magic your Way is basically your vacation package. You can customize it as you see fit. First, I'd check and see if they are offering the free dining promotion. That will save you TONS because Disney food is extremely expensive. If it's not offered, check and see if they're offering a % off room only. There are so many ways to save money when vacationing at Disney.

Is there a reason you're wanting to stay at one of the deluxe resorts? If it's for the monorail, I really wouldn't bother. If it's to be close to Magic Kingdom, again, I wouldn't bother. The bus system at Disney is extremely efficient and you'll get to and from your destination quickly. The monorail lines can be insane, and the price you pay is almost double than if you stayed in a value or moderate.

We stayed at Coronado Springs resort. We absolutely loved it! It's a huge resort, so if you decide to stay there, spend the extra $200 on a preferred room, meaning you'll be close to one of the bus stops. There's nothing worse than a long exhausting day at the park and having to walk half a mile back to your room. Especially with sleepy kids!

You can make your dining reservations 180 days in advance, as long as you have a vacation reservation on file. I know that seems WAY too far in advance, but trust me-things fill up quickly, especially character meals. You'll definitely want to make those reservations first. I suggest figuring out which parks you want to visit on which day and then plan your meal reservations around that. That way, you won't be all over the "world" trying to make a reservation on time.

There is SO much to learn about Disney vacationing, it can be overwhelming. I strongly suggest reading the Disboards to gather as much information as you can. You can message me if you have any other questions. :)
  • mikellsmom
    mikellsmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i don't know if you are aware of this but disney is offering a four day park hopper for 138. you can add other options if you want. We have been to disney a bunch of time and we never stay on location. if you use the armed forces vacation club you can get condos down there really cheap. we are going in march and we are staying at the lake buena vista resort village and spa. it is right outside the park and we got a two room condo for 99 a night. the firework show at the magic kingdom is really good, fantasmic at hollywood studios is good but get there early for seats, the lion king show is really good at animal kingdom. I would recommend going straight to the show when the park opens.. Use the fastpass for the big rides really helps. you can bring food into the park. hope you have a great time....
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey Emily,

Since you're military, I would definately look into Shades of Green. They have a website at : http://www.shadesofgreen.org/OEFOIF.htm. There are tons of websites out there with all sorts of recommendations for Disney. I did the Disney College Program a while back and finally went back with my husband and 12 year old daughter last year for vacation. We got a package deal for 5 nights/6 days at Coronado Springs with park hopper passes and the (regular) dining plan. We had such an awesome time, we decided to go back this year for 7 nights/8 days, with a similar package and staying at the Port Orleans. If you check out the Disney website they often have package deals...I find the deluxe resorts are a little out of my price range-and the Value resorts seem to get complaints about noise and walking distance to buses, etc. As for dining...the regular dining plan was more food than any of us could eat (the servings are enormous,) and this was BEFORE I lost some weight :laugh: Anyway-with the package deal-although it may seem pricey....we ended up spending hardly any money when we were actually there. It was an awesome time...can't wait to go again in April!
    As I write this..there is an ad on the page advertising 6 nights/7 days at the All Star Resorts with tickets for as low as $68 per person per day. That link is :http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/vacation-packages/?CMP=BAC-WDWFY12Q2|6171516|1009039|46301326.
    Hope this helps :)
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    My favorite resort is the Wilderness Lodge! We've stayed at a few Disney resorts. Our stay at the Wilderness Lodge was a few months ago, and we were so pleasantly surprised. The decor in the lobby is fantastic, and the rooms are very spacious and nice. We had a standard room that just overlooked some trees, so the view wasn't anything fantastic, but we didn't really need a view. The pool is really nice, and there's a geyser near the pool that goes off every hour. It sounds silly, but it's really fun to watch. They're also right by the boat and bike rental place, so that's easy to get to if you're wanting to do that. They show a movie on the beach every night, which is surprisingly fun, and you can take the resort launch over to Fort Wilderness to experience Chip & Dale's Sing Along and roast marshmallows to make s'mores. I know, it sounds like kid's stuff, but that was probably my favorite part of the whole trip. :) Then, also from the boat/bike rental place, you can watch the nighttime water parade. Wilderness Lodge has GREAT transportation to Magic Kingdom - just take the boat and you're there in less than 5 minutes. But you have to take the bus to get to the other parks, which takes about 20-30 minutes, depending on which park. (However, from most other resorts, you have to take the bus no matter what.)

When it comes to parks and tickets and plans, I do advise getting the meal plan. I"ve never actually used it because I've never had to, but when I priced it out one time just for fun, it saves a TON of money, and it kind of forces you to get out and experience the fun places to eat. Epcot offers some of the best restaurants (sometimes we go there just for dinner, not to actually ride anything), but they are quite pricey. (That's the advantage of the meal plan - you pay the same amount whether you eat at an expensive place or not!) Mexico, Germany, and Italy are my favorite places to eat at Epcot. If you're looking for something cheaper at Epcot, the Land has a great counter service place. The other parks have nice places to eat, but none as good as Epcot, in my opinion. Animal Kingdom, however, has an excellent buffet in the Tusker House, in Africa. If you are feeling adventurous and up for some unique flavors, you should check them out. We've been twice, and both times we have left waaaay too full from stuffing ourselves with deliciousness. (I highly recommend them for a breakfast buffet, but lunch is equally as good.) One thing I can say, the food at Disney can be mediocre, but if it's themed food (like Tusker House, or Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge), they go above and beyond!

The Magic Your Way tickets are just regular park tickets. I would advise to add the Park Hopper option if you can afford it and if that's something that you're interested in. If they still do it the way they used to when I would buy them, you can add the option to as many days as you want for one price, so it is actually cheaper that way if you're going for multiple days, which it sounds like you are.

Check out the Unofficial Guide to Disney World. It's my FAVORITE resource for all things Disney.

My husband and I live in Orlando and are both Disney freaks with annual passes, so I am happy to answer any questions you have.
  • krisbeeler
    Options
    I take a pedometer when we go, and I walk on average 10 miles per day. 15 if we go from morning until night. You'll burn most of what you eat probably. We went in Sept and I lost a pound and I ate whatever I wanted.

Our favorite healthy place is Sunshine Seasons in the Land at EPCOT. Menus are available at www.allears.net. If you stay away from fried food and sugary drinks, you'll be fine. If it's hot, drink one Powerade though. Columbia Harbour House near the Haunted Mansion is good for lunch. I get the tuna sandwich there and the husband and kids like the grilled salmon.

The best thing there to indulge in is The Dole Whip near Alladin. (if you like pineapple)
  • krisbeeler
    Options
    We are going the second week in March, and I am kind of nervous about the food and not working out. I've been doing pretty good the past few months, and something like this is where I normally blow it. I'm just hoping I walk enough while I am there to burn off the road food and not cooking for myself.

Any thoughts on plans for eating somewhat healthy?

I was trying to quote this with my last reply about the pedometer.
  • alorick
    alorick Posts: 194
    Options
    If I had to suggest ONE character meal, I'd tell you to do Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. It was by far, the best one we've experienced and we did a lot of them. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald are on hand to sign autographs and pose for pictures. The food was great, too.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Is there a reason you're wanting to stay at one of the deluxe resorts? If it's for the monorail, I really wouldn't bother. If it's to be close to Magic Kingdom, again, I wouldn't bother. The bus system at Disney is extremely efficient and you'll get to and from your destination quickly. The monorail lines can be insane, and the price you pay is almost double than if you stayed in a value or moderate.

This is pretty much our honeymoon (we didn't have $ when we got married so we just went to DC) so we want to stay in a nice hotel. I there are cheaper hotels that are equally as luxurious we are definitely open to that:)