How can I keep track of calories burned?

Options
I wanna start taking a few dance classes/pole dancing classes (please dont mock, i know im a bigger girl trying it out), but im not quite sure to how to keep track of the calories id be burning in those classes.

Replies

• GinaBinaFaye
    GinaBinaFaye Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a heart rate monitor.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You're best bet is going to be by using a HRM. I got one a couple weeks ago, and I feel so much better about eating back my exercise calories now. It made me nervous before that I would over eat. I still don't eat everything back (most of the time that is), but I make sure that I'm full.
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I too would like to know how to track calories burned in dance etc. I heard good things about HRM but which one do you folks recommend?
  • Brilliantbritt27
    Options
    They are quite expensive from what I can see. Any other ways to track it?
  • cryingwolfeblog
    Options
    There's also something you can get for the iPhone that syncs to a piece that you put in a NIKE sneaker that measures all of that stuff.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    without an accurate HRM you are just guessing..

I recommend getting one which has a belt attachment that goes just around your ribs, with a digital watch to track the information.
    If you get one that's just a watch its not as accurate. There are some that aren't too expensive - eg. around $60 - check your local sporting goods store.
  • Brilliantbritt27
    Options
    without an accurate HRM you are just guessing..

I recommend getting one which has a belt attachment that goes just around your ribs, with a digital watch to track the information.
    If you get one that's just a watch its not as accurate. There are some that aren't too expensive - eg. around $60 - check your local sporting goods store.

Lol. Broke college student. 60$ is very expensive to me.
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM, and I LOVE it!! It gives an accurate account of what you're burning. I think everyone should buy one!
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A bought a Polar FT4 a few weeks ago, and it is awesome! I also feel much better about eating back most of my exercise calories. I was able to find a deal online and it was only $62 shipped. It's been well worth it for me!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    exercise > cardio > add exercise
    Log a generic form of the exercise you're doing such as dancing, aerobics etc.
    It will give you a calorie burn estimate based on your data points (height, weight etc) people do say the burn seems high compared to their HRM for some exercises, while others come back in and tell us MFP was reporting low on the calories... but it's a start.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM, and I LOVE it!! It gives an accurate account of what you're burning. I think everyone should buy one!

I have one of these too but the battery died and it says not to replace it yourself but I can't FIND someone who will :sad:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jewelry counter at most "department" stores does battery replacements on watches etc, they MAY be able to help with the HRM battery too.

But thanks for the heads-up, if it's not user friendly to replace the battery I'll look for another one that is ;)
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I have one of these too but the battery died and it says not to replace it yourself but I can't FIND someone who will :sad:

Polar HRM are great, ... go to www.polarusa.com to get the battery replaced....
  • zephyrzar
    zephyrzar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just got my HRM to properly track my workout videos that I do. So happy I got it. Works great and is easy to use. I got the Polar FT4F with the chest strap. Mine was $80.00 at our local sports store. Best investment for me.
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    There are web sites out there where you can enter in the exercise and your weight and it will give you a guestimate of calories burned. I think Livestrong.com is one of them. But just remember, it's a guestimate.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    BMF>HRM

bodyfitmedia.com

Best investment I made so far to take to log what I burn throughout the day as well as during my workouts.

I have found that a HRM can be inaccurate during non cardio movements.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Why not spend the $60 on a HRM instead of the classes? There are lots of free ways to be active, and then you'll have a better idea of your actual calorie burn.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I found a $40 Mio Motion watch with HRM which tracks calories, steps taken, alarms, dual watches, timer. I got it at BJs. Not always accurate (like when I run on the treadmill because I think it comes off my skin some) but normally it does a good job. Might be a good cheap start for you.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am using the BodyMedia armband. Others have BodyBugg. I just got a email offer for 50% off for Friends & Family. The discount comes off at the end (no promotional code needed)
    http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Armband-Advantage
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    HRM best investment you will ever make