Injured heel?

Options
I have been doing insanity and 30 DS and for the past few days my heel has been killing me. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Should I see my doctor or is it just sore from maybe a wrong movement?

It's hard for me to walk which means i have not been working out.

Replies

• northaven
    Options
    If you're still not able to walk well you may want to check with your doctor.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yup check with the doc, could be a bruised bone or slight heel fracture if you really cant walk on it
  • manasunshine
    Options
    thats happened with me. its a muscle inflammation. take rest. give it time to heal or u'll damage the tissues.
    i kept running when it hurt and when it got really bad i went to the doc. he told me to completely give it a rest. icing will also help!
  • ghiaguy
    Options
    Does it hurt more in the morning when you get up then loosen up? If so, you may have plantar fasciitis rather than just a bruised heel. I'm dealing with it and I hate not being able to do any kind of cardio right now because of it.
  • Mera_Mera
    Options
    Been there. Still there, though. I hope you get better.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt more in the morning when you get up then loosen up? If so, you may have plantar fasciitis rather than just a bruised heel. I'm dealing with it and I hate not being able to do any kind of cardio right now because of it.

that is what i have too, it can really hurt some days !
  • tcrout
    tcrout Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. It's on thebottom part of my foot in my heel area? Only flares up when I'm doing jumping jacks & jump rope. Once I'm done my feet don't hurt anymore. Hopefully we can both find some answers.... Good luck :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If you don't wear footwear with enough shock absorbancy and uspport than the highly dynamic/plyometrics nature of the workout can cause inflammation of the tendons. Nothing too serious, same happened to me...wasnt wearing footwear when doing it and got inflamed tendon. I went to docs to get checked out. you SHOULD do the same!
  • giggles_0905
    giggles_0905 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Freeze a water bottle and massage your heel. It will help loosen up the muscles (or just feel good). Also, find a good shoe with support to wear. You may end up having a heel spur or planters..if the massaging doesn't help and the pain continues, go to the doctor.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

I'm dealing with this myself and have been going to a podiatrist for months....trying not to have surgery. If the pain is worse in the morning, I'd say go ahead and go see a podiatrist first. It's better to get things under control before your injure yourself further. It's hard listening to your body when it's in pain, but that's your best bet. In the meantime, try freezing a water bottle in the freezer and rolling it back and forth on the floor under your foot/heel. Advil is a good anti-inflammatory which should help some. Also, try stretching your foot (pulling your toes back toward you) each morning in bed before you get up. This site has several great physical therapy exercises for foot/heel pain relief. Hope you feel better soon. PF has a super long healing process (mine has already been 1.5 years and counting).

http://www.heel-that-pain.com/videos.php
  • I1ahunt
    Options
    My wife and I have the same issues, we both went to the Doc and were reffered out to a podiatrist.......for us it was heel spurs.......couple of orthodics and we were back in buisness.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering about when it hurts the most. If it is either first thing in the morning or right after you get up from sitting it may be an issue with Plantar Fascitis. I have seen a Podiatrist as I'm dealing with that as well. I am icing my heel for 10 minutes after exercise (roll on a frozen water bottle) and stretching the heel as well (I have a boot to wear to sleep in as well) by using a band and pulling back on your toes to the point that you engage the calf muscle and hold it for 30 seconds at a time. You can also stretch it on the stairs.

For me at least, this issue is most felt when I'm walking and get to the point in my stride when my heel comes off the ground the weight is in my toes causing a stretch along the bottom of my foot.

Now that you know more about my feet problems :) I hope this helps narrow down what your problem is. I go back in a month and if it isn't better she's giving me a steroid shot in the heel (yikes!) because I've let it go to the point of now having heel spurs at either end of the plantar fascia.

Rest did help it at first until I started running again and since I'm signed up for a race in April I'm not willing to stop unless absolutely forced to. It's pretty darn painful though! Good luck!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fascitis and a heel spur from running while obese.

It hurts a lot but there's not much I can do about it other than soak, tape, and endure until I feel like surgery to grind the spur down.

I reccomend seeing your doctor to find out what type of injury you have. It could be as benign as tendons and as bad as a heel spur or stress fractures. It's hard to say.
  • pdlasky
    pdlasky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely get it checked out in case it's plantar fasciitis. PF is easy to fix if you see the doc within 3 months. I waited 9 months before going to the doc and then I was stuck battling it for 2 years!!! It can force you to give up workouts for months if you let it go unchecked. See the doc, take a week or 2 off cardio if needed - but keep it from developing into a chronic issue.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options

PF would be my guess as well... It's usually a running injury, but can happen any time.

I got PF this past July, doing more running than I was ready for. In my case it was doing "too much, too soon" in my barefoot running, instead of taking it slower and giving my feet time to adapt to the new demands I was placing on them. I should have stuck to the C25K running plan, instead of getting excited that I *could* run and way overdoing it one day.

I decided, after a lot of reading up on it, to go a slightly different route than many will say is the Only Way To Deal with PF. What I agree with, as far as the usual advice is (in no particular order):

1. Rest the injury. This might mean taking a couple weeks/month off entirely. It might mean cutting back on activities as much as possible, and/or moving to alternative exercises for a while.

2. Stretch your calves and feet often - several times a day, every day.

3. Try to maintain a 90 degree bend in your ankle, rather than letting the foot dangle/point. Every time your foot points at all, the fascia, etc, are shortened, and then when you flex your foot again, it HURTS because you are *retearing* the plantar fascia every single time you lengthen it again. This is why with PF, it tends to hurt horribly with the first steps in the morning (because your foot in relaxation is not flexed all night long, and also after you've been sitting for a long time. Keeping your foot flexed/foot flat on the floor is very important until it's healed. A "night splint" can keep your foot in the correct position while you sleep - they run about $30-40 and can make a huge difference in recovery.

4. Massage of the fascia to break up scar tissue and promote healing -- you can do this with your fingers/knuckles, but getting a hard ball like a golf ball to roll under your foot is wonderfully helpful.

5. Ice your heel! Ice at least a couple times a day, 15-20 minutes. Many people like freezing a water bottle, and rolling that under their foot/heel.

Where I diverge from the conventional advice is that it tends to include something about "never go barefoot ever again; always wear a supportive shoe!" I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Wearing a shoe with a heel (which shortens the fascia and can provide a feeling of relief from the pain) is something I decided to actively avoid when dealing with PF. My feeling is that keeping my fascia/etc as lengthened as possible - in that flexed position - was important for longterm recovery. The last thing I want to do is encourage my plantar fascia to shorten and tighten, making me more prone to reinjury later on. I chose to deal with my PF as barefoot as possible. I stopped wearing any shoe with a heel, and after not running for a month, I started back on my running plan barefoot.

I totally get that barefoot running isn't for everyone, but my point is that if you are following all the other advice it may not matter if you wear shoes or not, or what kind of shoes you do wear. There are some PF sufferers who have it so severe and so chronic that shoes, shots, and/or surgery become the only options... but I think that for many others, following th *other* advice religiously can and will provide a great deal of relief, if not complete recovery. It can take a while for it to stop flaring up, because unlike muscles, the fascia, tendons, and ligaments tend to have little bloodflow and they can just take a long time to heal, regardless of what you do.

Another thing people will say is that you must stop all running, and any activity like that, until you no longer have PF. However, that blanket advice is not necessarily best for everyone. If your case of PF is quite severe, or is a recent injury, then I agree 100%. However, if your PF is fairly mild, it is absolutely okay to continue running or other activities if you use good sense. Perhaps cut back, and if it still hurts, cut back even more. Cut down on your speed and intensity when doing plyometrics. If it starts hurting during your activity and does not get better after a short while, STOP what you're doing. Get a feel for what aggravates it and what doesn't. Frequently take a moment during your workout to stretch your calves, and stretch them well after. Massage your feet (with the golf ball or something like it) for a good while before and after every single workout.

This link was VERY helpful to me when I first started out with PF, it shows the exercises to do to strengthen and stretch:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_exercises.html . Another helpful starting place for understanding and treating PF at home is http://tao-fit.com/self-treatment-for-plantar-fasciitis . I didn't do many of the exercises he suggests (didn't use the roller for my hips, for instance) but it's a good article and worth reading!

My main suggestion is look at all the advice that you receive, and take what works for you and leave what doesn't. Almost all podiatrists are in agreement about the approach to take with PF - and like I said, I agree with it wholeheartedly up to a point. I don't think that shoes are necessary (or even helpful) for everyone, and I agree with those that say that avoiding running is not always necessary. I also think some podiatrists are too quick to jump to orthotics, cortisone shots, and even surgery, when a little patience and a lot of PT and TLC would do the trick. (And I also am glad that podiatrists are there when shots, orthotics, and/or surgery are the only viable options, don't get me wrong! LOL)

I continue to keep the area stretched and at a 90 degree angle as much as possible, particularly when I have to do a lot of walking in shoes (for some reason, that's what aggravates my PF the most) but I am pain free now. Good luck!
  • COLOMomOf4
    COLOMomOf4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sounds like plantar faciitus... but you'll want to check w/ your doc to be sure. I have it, too and it S*CKS! Although the pain is in the heel (feels like a bruise) it is actually due to the ligaments that connect the heel to the ball of the foot - they get inflamed and cause the pain. The biggest thing that S*CKS, is there's not much you can do about it except for LOTS of stretching and rest - don't do anything that causes the pain until completely healed. The stretching you need to focus on is your calves - because when the calf muscles are tight, that's what causes the extra pulling on the foot ligaments (one is called the plantar, the other the facia - but I cna't remember which is which.) Even though the calf is not where the pain is - it is usually the source. And to add to the problem, if you wear high heels (guilty) you make the problem worse - because it permanently shortens the calf muscles (visualize - you're walking around on tip toes all day, your calf muscle is never fully extended - then when you put your workout shoes on and do high-impact exercise you're putting double strain on the muscle - #1) stretching it beyond where its used to being - just becaue your foot is in a neutral position, and #2) high impact exercis.

I see the poster below suffered for 2 years... now I'm really scared... mine's been going on over 9 months. I might be going in for steroid shot next. Yikes! Either way... go see your doctor (podiatrist, if you have one in your insurance plan). Good luck!
  • pdlasky
    pdlasky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where I diverge from the conventional advice is that it tends to include something about "never go barefoot ever again; always wear a supportive shoe!" I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Wearing a shoe with a heel (which shortens the fascia and can provide a feeling of relief from the pain) is something I decided to actively avoid when dealing with PF. My feeling is that keeping my fascia/etc as lengthened as possible - in that flexed position - was important for longterm recovery. The last thing I want to do is encourage my plantar fascia to shorten and tighten, making me more prone to reinjury later on. I chose to deal with my PF as barefoot as possible. I stopped wearing any shoe with a heel, and after not running for a month, I started back on my running plan barefoot.

I totally get that barefoot running isn't for everyone, but my point is that if you are following all the other advice it may not matter if you wear shoes or not, or what kind of shoes you do wear. There are some PF sufferers who have it so severe and so chronic that shoes, shots, and/or surgery become the only options... but I think that for many others, following th *other* advice religiously can and will provide a great deal of relief, if not complete recovery. It can take a while for it to stop flaring up, because unlike muscles, the fascia, tendons, and ligaments tend to have little bloodflow and they can just take a long time to heal, regardless of what you do.

Agree - now, I can't run in regular sneakers or risk a flare up of PF. I LOVE my Vibrams . . . although it's the exact opposite of what my podiatrists suggests. But, if anyone's going this route, do your research first. Barefoot or Vibrams take a long time to get used to and they may not work for everyone
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Agree - now, I can't run in regular sneakers or risk a flare up of PF. I LOVE my Vibrams . . . although it's the exact opposite of what my podiatrists suggests. But, if anyone's going this route, do your research first. Barefoot or Vibrams take a long time to get used to and they may not work for everyone

Oh yes, absolutely. In fact, while transitioning to barefoot can be part of the healing from PF (and there are those who switched to barefoot/minimalist running because they got PF running in shoes) it can also *cause* PF if done carelessly.
  • joz160
    joz160 Posts: 1
    Options
    yea...it's called plantar fa****is...I have it in my right heel...Naproxen helps but you just gotta work thru it. It is so painful at times I can hardly walk...Never walk barefoot.....cortisone shots can also help