Sticking to a healthy diet/workout program

Options
Please share your success stories and ideas with me. I'm now 26 and have been struggling with weight my entire life. It has started to affect my health and I know the longer I wait, the harder it will be to shed the pounds. I can lose the weight, I enjoy exercise, what kills me is my eating habits. I LOVE food. Any stories or suggestions will help!

Replies

• ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I first started, it was more about getting myself healthy. My main goal wasn't to get skinny or lose weight. That was just to be an intended side benefit! My basic plan involves MOST days of eating rather healthfully. I plan as much as I can. I try to limit my eating out to once night a week (if at all) and once during the weekend.

I try to do vegetables at nearly every meal (like, spinach in my eggs in the morning, chopped veggies on the side for lunch, veggies with dinner). I am constantly trying to think of different ways to make vegetables interesting. :) Also, I found that if I work out regularly and eat well most of the time, I can get away with having a cheeseburger if I really want one. I have lots of ideas if you want more.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of Ajzmans observations. I am very heavy and need to lose weight though. Some things I have done are quit drinking any type of caffeine or carbonated beverage at all, and eating more chicken, fish and turkey and almost no beef. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and use skim milk for breakfast. Additionally, I use breaks at work to take short walks and started taking the bus to work and walking several stops further from my house than I have to.
  • cmillv
    cmillv Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One day at time, one snack at a time, one meal at a time....

If I REALLY wanted something, I would make myself wait until the next day to eat it. By the next day, I either forgot about it, or someone else ate it.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I found that the only way I can do this is by tracking EVERYTHING! and making very very small goals so I dont get overwhelmed, for example I am down to 224 right now and my immediate goal is to get to 219 then after that I will work toward 209 then 199, One small step at a time so I will actually feel like I am getting somewhere!

You can do it! Feel free to add me!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    errr sorry had trouble posting!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

If I REALLY wanted something, I would make myself wait until the next day to eat it. By the next day, I either forgot about it, or someone else ate it.

Thats a great idea!!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Small changes one day at a time ... removing the guilty pleasures and replacing them with healthier choices. I know it sounds clichè .. but I promise you it works. Remove the soda, butter, massive carbs and replace them with water, green tea, olive oil and veggies. Make snack bags of things you love ... but only 1 serving. Carry them with you at all times ... this even includes sweets ! Find healthy foods you absolutely LOVE and start eating them daily ... even if it is day after day. Log EVERYTHING ... never think you blew it and it doesn't matter ... it ALWAYS matters ... it is a harsh reminder of just how far we will go off track before we realize the damage. Try new things daily ... read about healthy choices and exercises that will maximize your results ... exercise daily. Drink a ton of water ... cleanse your system.

Most importantly ... NEVER give up ! Believe in yourself and remain completely positive at all times ! It is so important to see our mistakes than to be fooled by them. Learn from every person you can .. what worked for them and take all the knowledge and shake it up ... until you find what works for YOU !

There are no quick fixes ... this is a lifestyle change ... a new way of thinking. You have to love what you eat, love what you do and just love you ! Sounds a bit sappy, I know. But the truth is ... I was just like you and I figured it out ! I know you can too !

Best of luck my friend ... the future is yours to pave ... just find the right path and start moving towards that rainbow ! :smile:
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do the following: Meatless Mondays, cut back from three teaspoons of sugar to one in coffee, drink water (which I did anyway, I love water) and move with intention (or exercise) daily. Also, anything that I can do healthier and not taste the difference I do - like low fat mayo and mayo taste about the same to me. I do not use artifical sweeterners or anything labeled diet b/c it probably has that stuff in it and it's just not natural :)
  • bbrown1986
    Options
    Thank you all for these wonderful stories and suggestions!! More to come!!
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

1. Log EVERYTHING!! If it goes in mouth, it goes in my diary!! This helps when I need to look back and see why something worked (or didn't) -- if I"m not honest, the only person I'm hurting is myself!
    2. Water, water, water....... I drink 12-15 cups a day (5-6 water bottles plus some)
    3. Move!! Everything counts when you move, although I only count it as exercise if I do it outside my regular activities (i.e. I walk a lot at work, so I don't count that as exercise, since I'd be doing it anyways, but I do count walking if my husband and I take a 30-minute walk around the neighborhood)
    4. Eat back at least some of your exercise calories -- your body needs fuel, just like your car needs gas!
    5. Reduce carbs -- I haven't eliminated them, but I cut them back from what MFP says (at my doctor's suggestion). MFP gives you about 50% carbs -- I have mine at about 25% carbs, 45% protein, and 30% fat.
    6. Relax, and enjoy the journey!! It does work -- but it doesn't work overnight!!
    7. And finally -- this is a LIFEstyle, not a DIEt....... you will have days that aren't "diet-friendly"..... so plan for them if you can, do your best, and keep moving toward your goals! You won't undo all your progress in one day of indulgence!!
  • cmillv
    cmillv Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Thats a great idea!!

Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!