blood test results

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    ok so can someone tell me how much sugar is ok in cereal? i have over 20 boxes and got to go go through them and see which ones i can eat, so is 10G too much?
    I have dr appt tomm

Throw out all your cereal sweetie. Sorry...............
  • alexa137
    alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i dont smoke and only drink wine maybe 2 or 3 times a month-i only have coffee about twice a week, cannot drink it black for nothing!
  • alexa137
    Options
    sorry but def not throwing away $40 in groceries, maybe just cut back a little
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Cardio exercise is great for bringing down blood sugar.

Certain foods such as cinnamon, onions (which contain chromium), buckwheat (not a grain--it's really a fruit seed!), and oyster mushrooms (which have been used to make statin drugs) will help to increase insulin sensitivity.

I included these foods in my diet regularly, went gluten free (so therefore decreasing my carbs), lost 10 lbs, and started daily cardio and I no longer have impaired glucose tolerance!

I'm sorry you got these results but look on the bright side: you caught the problems in time and you can work to fix them.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Do you suggest the same advice for someone with elevated triglycerides?
  • kbw414
    Options
    Been there....I will tell you that the reason your having trouble dropping weight is due metabolic syndrome and your doctor should start you on Metformin to stop the progression of the disease, keep it from progressing to full blown type 2 diabetes and help you loose weight. If you Google Diabetes Prevention Program, it explains that this is the current wisdom. Generic Metformin will run you 4 bucks a month at most discount pharmacies such as Walmart. The drug has been around for decades.

Be wary of Metformin unless you really need it and your doctor feels strongly about it. My doctor said it doesn't help the underlying problem--it only delays the inevitable unless you make lifestyle changes. I used Metformin before I fixed my insulin resistance issues and it made a lot of my hair fall out because the dose was far too strong! (I only had very borderline insulin resistance).
  • Prefessa
    Options
    yea i was on metformin last year for awhile and then my dr took me off it
    the rhing is i have been eating cold cereal everyday for over 30 years! dont like fruit or anything mixed in with it, i switched up alot with the types sometime special k

Could you learn to like high fiber cold cereal like Fiber One??(They make flavors now...you don't have to eat the one that looks like animal feed) and instead of topping it with Milk, make a vanilla protein shake with plain water and Ice and use that?? At least the protein and fiber should bring the GI down? Its a start.

Unfortunately a RD is gonna tell you to eat fruits, veg, legumes and lean proteins and make you bag the special K...The problem with folks with metabolic syndrome is that there insulin response is nearly double that of a normal person and high insulin levels mean storage. If your glycogen stores are topped off, then carbs spill over into fat. Its a double whammy. Not to mention you will eventually go Hypoglycemic and get mad hungry again or tired or depressed or all three...been there done that. The RD I went to held up a little Pee Cup....I thought she was going to ask me for a sample for Glucose testing...instead I found out that that was the suggested serving size for all carbohydrate containing foods...except Veg.

Trust me...I am living with this metabolic issue....I eat fruits and Veg lean proteins daily, workout 6 days a week and what it takes for me to loose a pound with metabolic syndrome is criminal. If a normal person ate and worked out Like I do they would look like a prisoner of war by now.

I wish you the best....please keep fighting!! There is Type II Diabetes in my family...its not any fun when they have to add other toxic drugs to your program or injectable insulin...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Been there....I will tell you that the reason your having trouble dropping weight is due metabolic syndrome and your doctor should start you on Metformin to stop the progression of the disease, keep it from progressing to full blown type 2 diabetes and help you loose weight. If you Google Diabetes Prevention Program, it explains that this is the current wisdom. Generic Metformin will run you 4 bucks a month at most discount pharmacies such as Walmart. The drug has been around for decades.

Also eating for insulin resistance, unfortunately is gona invole eating fruits, veggies and legumes along with lean proteins...limiting grains, and eliminating white flour and white sugar.

Many times folks loose the weight and either stay on a small dose of Metformin or even wind up coming off of it...some don't. Anyhow, have your baseline A1C measured as well. If its in the 6's you will need meds.

Hmmmm, it seems that "metabolic syndrome" is not a syndrome but a series of risk factors

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/

As to prescribing medication, are you a licensed physician, have you examined the patient?

Exercise and diet modifications can often address cholesterol and insulin resistance. Try adding psyllium fibre / oat bran to your diet, stay away from sugary breakfast cereals - a nice bowl of oatmeal is far healthier - and increase your level of activity - both cardio and strength.

The dietitian suggestion was excellent but also discuss these issues with your physician. He or she will be far better qualified to prescribe medications (if needed).
  • kbw414
    Options
    ok so can someone tell me how much sugar is ok in cereal? i have over 20 boxes and got to go go through them and see which ones i can eat, so is 10G too much?
    I have dr appt tomm

It's not just the sugars. It's the grain itself, especially wheat, which is high GI. Even with little sugar added, they will still make your blood sugar skyrocket if you have insulin resistance.

When I went gluten free, I donated all my grains/wheat products to members of my family so that I didn't have to just throw them out. Maybe you could try that with your cereal? Trust me, it's a small sacrifice to make for your health.
  • kbw414
    Options
    Do you suggest the same advice for someone with elevated triglycerides?

Definitely. Decreased carbs and exercise (daily). Elevated triglycerides are often a part of metabolic syndrome. Triglycerides are very temporary and will lower quickly with a good diet and daily exercise.
  • alexa137
    Options
    Ive tried fiber one and kashi and its so nasty yuck!
    i usually eat cheerios, multigrain cheerios, honey nut cheerios,
    i just got some corn flakes, rice krispies
    if i look on the box and the sugar is 10g is that too high?
    whats the highest i can go?
    im gonna check more boxes
  • kbw414
    Options
    sorry but def not throwing away $40 in groceries, maybe just cut back a little

I know how you feel. I hate being wasteful too. Just think positive: if you can fix your metabolic issues, you can return to eating your favorite foods (including cereal) in moderation.

I don't have blood sugar problems anymore and I eat 1-2 servings of grains a day including brown rice, quinoa, millet, etc.
    What's fantastic is that I don't even need to feel guilty about making these food choices anymore because they don't aggravate my blood sugar levels!

So, it doesn't have to be permanent :)
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For cholesterol: Don't just look at your overall fat intake... monitoring your Saturated Fat intake can do wonders! Saturated fat appears in a number of foods such as cookies, cakes, cheeses, etc.

Also, I agree with those who have suggested eating more fiber rich foods, including oatmeal, whole grains, and even drinking psyllium (like Metamucil).
  • Prefessa
    Options
    Ive tried fiber one and kashi and its so nasty yuck!
    i usually eat cheerios, multigrain cheerios, honey nut cheerios,
    i just got some corn flakes, rice krispies
    if i look on the box and the sugar is 10g is that too high?
    whats the highest i can go?
    im gonna check more boxes

Its not about the sugar in your cereal, its about the sugar it turns into 1 hr later. For instance Instant Mashed Potatoes...0 sugar, GI of 110....It will spike your blood sugar 10% more severly than glucose! Cold Cereal is very easy to digest...particularly things that melt in your mouth like Cheerios, and Corn Flakes.

BTW: Metabolic Syndrome is a clinical condition when identified by a 3 hr glucose tolerence test with insulin levels. The series of Risk Factors Is a result of the metabolic issues that the disease causes. Generally elevated Trigycerides. Borderline Hypertension, Elevated C-Reactive Protein(inflammation) and Low HDL, elevated LDL.

Diet and exercise is allways a treatment requirement. No matter what Medication a Doctor will prescribe for BS issues, they all will state the following..."This drug, along with diet and exercise, helps control blood sugar." So Even meds are useless w/o lifestyle changes. As metabolic syndrome progresses into Stage 2 and Stage 3 Diabetes Mellitus...the drugs get nastier and more toxic eventually leading to end stage insulin dependant Type 2 diabetes.

See your doctor and see what he or she says! and for your own good...cut back on the cereal or at least eat some protein and healthy fat with it to slow it down.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You should go see a registered dietitian.

Agreed. A dietician can help you cut through all the misinformation out there and put together an eating plan that will address your borderline conditions and maybe also prevent new health problems.

You could check with your local hospital to see if it offers a wellness program that would allow you to consult with a dietician for free or very low cost. If you have health insurance, see if your carrier has health and wellness programs or if it will pay for you to see a dietician as part of your health insurance coverage.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    ok so i got my blood test results back today and not so good
    my fasting blood sugar and cholesterol are boderline elevated

can anyone help to tell me what to eat and what not to eat to fix this?
    you can look at my dairy if that helps
    thx

I think this is something you should have discussed in-depth with your doctor before leaving the office or make another appointment to go back and have a talk to see what your doctor suggests.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    ok so i got my blood test results back today and not so good
    my fasting blood sugar and cholesterol are boderline elevated

can anyone help to tell me what to eat and what not to eat to fix this?
    you can look at my dairy if that helps
    thx

I'm so sorry but you asked. Donuts, mashed potatoes, granola bars, cereal not so good for keeping blood sugar numbers stable. Think outside perimeter of grocery store; produce, fish, meats, dairy sections best. Prepared foods, crackers, chips, cakes, ice cream not so good :(
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I switched to a primarily plant based diet 3 months ago. I still eat some cheese and greek yogurt. I feel so much better. I haven't gotten updated blood results, but and eager to see them. Feel free to check my food plan. Watch the movie, Forks over Knives. Available streaming via Netflix.
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ask your doctor to send you to the diabetes classes available. You can learn all the tools you need to keep this at bay and see a dietician. Everyone is different. Based on your bloodwork, age, weight, height etc they will complete a meal plan for you. I was very fortunate as I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2008 - was put on metformin and after my 70 lb weight loss I was taken off my medication and all is good. Private message me if you would like more detailed information.
  • Chuldah
    Chuldah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you eat mostly processed foods and sugars. I'd suggest eating more natural foods and avoid processed foods. Anything that has more than 5 grams of fat and 10 grams of sugar in a serving should be avoided per nutritionists. Looking at labels will help. Also have about 75 grams of protein a day. You can use this site to help with the sugar issue.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    It will tell you when a food is inflammatory and what the sugar content is and will help with your cholesterol and sugar issues.
    I will tell you that I don't have sugar issues per se but when I made an effort to avoid processed foods and eat natural foods (such as nuts instead of granola bars, plain greek yogurt instead of high-sugar flavored yogurts, and plain whole fruits instead of sugary desserts) my fasting blood sugar dropped more than 10 points in six months. You palate may have to get used to the new tastes but you will feel so much better that you won't miss the processed foods. And when you decide to have them they're not nearly as good.
    Best of luck to you.