Options

Replies

• I1ahunt
    Options
    www.runnersworld.co.uk/nutrition/eating-and-training.../250.html
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    im sure this has been posted if so sorry anyway what are some good foods to eat before a run and what helps with recovery after thanks for any advise

I never eat and then go running, ever, it is bad for the heart. I always give at least a couple of hours, in order to let it start to digest. Oranges are a big yes for me, they seem to give me lots of energy.

I've never heard of anyone saying it was bad for the heart. What's the source for this?

For long runs (10+ miles), I have to eat before, during and after a run. There's just no way around it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I eat nothing before a run. And then just eat at normal times.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    before...carb and protein (bagel with pb)
    during for long runs...carb/protein bar or gel
    after...banana and choc milk :)
  • bootbuilder
    Options
    Carbs prior and a protein after!

Good bowl of cereal or oatmeal before
    Meat, cheese, yogurt and fruit after
  • Anaria12
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds really stupid but what is the importance of eating before and after running. I am not a serious runner but occasionally do and I was unaware of the importance of this!!!

Eating before a run:
    To ensure that you have enough energy to maintain your run. Mind you, everyone is different. I can run on an empty stomach for about 8-9 miles before I feel a very LARGE drop in my energy levels. Some people bonk out at 5-6 miles, some at 3-4. Depends on you and your fitness level and how efficient your body is.

Eating after a run:
    To provide your body with enough recovery materials and to replenish the energy you just spent. It also teaches your body to move around energy more (as told to me by my running coaches). You basically want to get your body to be able to quickly use up energy you're eating before a run and move it into use, use up what you're eating during a run and then use the energy you're giving it after to recover.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/zero_INT.php

High Five Zero tablets changed my life. Beforehand I got major cramps, dehydration that messed up my thought processes for an day after, mood swings. One tablet in some water after a run and you're re-hydrated, salted up and you can buy a neutral flavoured one to put in whatever drink you fancy though the berry ones are nice on their own
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Milk is said to be the best thing for recovery.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I ran 10 miles last Saterday basically fasted. My last real meal was at 7:30 pm friday, had black coffee saterday morning, ran from 11 am till 1 pm. water before and after, nothing during the run. Felt Just fine. Ate a double chicken chipotle bowl (round 700 calories) around 2 pm then dinner and snacks to fill out my protein and fat goals.

I don't do this all the time, but it proved to myself that I can run 10 miles on an empty stomach and not die. should be usefull if the event of a zombie attack.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Here is the truth: you need to try different things and see what works best for you.

Here is what works for me (which only really matters if we are twins...):

I run early mornings on an empty stomach. Maybe a couple ounces of water before I go (hydration takes place the night before). Unless it is crazy hot out, I rarely stop for water or carbs if I'm running 10 miles or less. Last week I did a nice 12 miler with no stops.

12 - 20+ miles, I'll have some Clif Bloks on the run.

Once I get home, I need protein ASAP. Egg whites are my go to food. Carbs are good too.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    im sure this has been posted if so sorry anyway what are some good foods to eat before a run and what helps with recovery after thanks for any advise

I never eat and then go running, ever, it is bad for the heart. I always give at least a couple of hours, in order to let it start to digest. Oranges are a big yes for me, they seem to give me lots of energy.

I've never heard of anyone saying it was bad for the heart. What's the source for this?

For long runs (10+ miles), I have to eat before, during and after a run. There's just no way around it.

It is to do with what is going on with the body during digestion. The heart speeds up during this process, if you run on top of that and speed it up further......

That is why I literally cringe and then worry when people say eat directly before a workout.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    protein shake before I run
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    www.runnersworld.co.uk/nutrition/eating-and-training.../250.html

I was going to post this as well!

(can't wait for my post-run chocolate milk tonight haha)
  • thermarose
    Options
    if i haven't had a recent meal i'll usually eat a piece of fruit or a granola bar about 30-60 minutes before a run. if i'm doing an early morning run sometimes i'll wait to eat until after i'm done. once i work my way up to longer runs however (my goal is to be a marathon runner by this time next year) I will likely change my eating times/habits around a bit to keep me running strong.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    A few weeks ago I had a serious issue with shakiness after running or working out so I looked into it quite a bit...here's my list I have saved to my desktop for me to refer to when I need reminders:

Eat a small (100- to 200-calorie) snack about 30 minutes before you work out.

This snack should include fast-digesting (high glycemic index) carbohydrates and very little fat (which digests slowly), so that you digest the meal quickly and the fuel is available during your exercise session. Here are some ideas:
    * Fruit juice
    * Fruit smoothie
    * High-glycemic fruits like pineapple, apricots, banana, mango, and watermelon
    * Sports drinks
    * Pretzels or bagels (but not whole grain varieties, which digest slowly)
    * Energy bars (look for 3-5 grams of protein, at least 15 grams of carbs, and very little fat)

OR

Eat a nutritionally balanced meal 2 hours before exercise. (200 - 300 calories)

This is the best option for many people. The larger the meal, and the more fat and protein it contains, the longer you may need to wait before exercising. Ideally, try to eat enough calories to equal about half the calories you expect to burn during your upcoming workout. So if you burn about 600 calories during your workout, aim for at least 300 calories during this meal — or a little more if your exercise is “high intensity” (over 75% of your maximum heart rate). At least 50-60% of these calories should come from carbohydrates, which should keep your blood sugar and energy levels fairly stable during your exercise session. Include some protein to help prevent the breakdown of muscle for fuel and give your muscles a head start on recovery after exercise. Some good food choices and combinations for this kind of meal include:
    * Fruit and yogurt
    * Nuts
    * Oatmeal
    * Cereals (with more than 3 grams of fiber) and milk
    * Trail mix with nuts and dried fruit
    * Hummus and raw veggies
    * Hard boiled eggs (or egg whites)
    * Cottage cheese and fruit
    * Half a peanut butter or turkey/chicken sandwich on whole grain bread
    * Whole grain crackers with nut butter or cheese
    * Whole grain fig (or fruit) Newton cookies
    * Milk (especially chocolate milk)
    * Tomato or vegetable juice
    * Yogurt smoothie (with added protein powder, if desired)
    * Most protein/energy bars

As a moderate exerciser you have a lot of flexibility when it comes to timing your meals and choosing your foods. The most important things are getting to know your body and how it responds to exercise, so that you can give it what it needs to perform at its best. Eating the right foods at the right times before you work out is essential to keeping your energy up, your workout performance high, and your body in fat-burning mode.

13800327.png
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A coffee AT LEAST 40 mins before so you have time to get ready and go to the loo before the run!

Honey ready brek with Nutella and a glass of orange juice.

-Afterwards I make sure whatever I eat is a good source of protein, so something chickeny.

Although when I've completed a race I head straight to the onsite burger van (they're always there) and get the nastiest looking cheeseburger possible with a can of coke or sprite. It's high in salt and protein, probably not healthy in the slightest but I always feel a billion times better after doing this.
  • ladyblue4369
    Options
    I like an Erin Baker mini breakfast cookie or mini Think Thin bar before a run and organic low fat chocolate milk after a run. The reward of the chocolate milk after a run keeps me going! What a treat and a nutritionist/personal trainer turned me on to it.
  • Jamotto
    Jamotto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • ladyblue4369
    Options
    Oh, and lots of water before, during and after the run.