Breakfast cookie for those on the go!

Options
tinkermommc
tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
My daughter has trouble eating breakfast. So I set out to make a healthy filling breakfast cookie that a 5 yr old would love and could eat on the way to school. Here's my recipe, feel free to sub in other dried fruit, nuts or chocolate chips, it's to her/our tastes :-)

It's adapted from a skinnytaste.com recipe.

It's 234 calories and I saved it in the database under homemade :-)

White chocolate cranberry oatmeal breakfast cookie

Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
2 scoops protein powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
3/4 cup craisins

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, protein powder, salt and cinnamon. In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.

Add the egg, followed by the applesauce and vanilla extract.

Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chocolate chips and craisins.

Drop heaping tablespoonfuls (approx 2 tbsp each) of the dough onto prepared baking sheets, flattening each cookie slightly. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.

Let cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

I put them in individual baggies so they are easy to grab on the way out the door.

Makes 15 cookies.

Enjoy!

I think I'm going to make a batch today with 1/2 c walnuts. It'll add 27 calories per cookie but nuts are good for you :-)

Replies

• lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good, I was looking for a new breakfast item! Thanks for sharing!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I make something just like this but instead of sugar I use honey. Thanks for sharing!
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    Sounds Yummy! How many calories are in the protein powder?
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am going to try it with agave syrup. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks again!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • tinkermommc
    Options
    Honey or agave sounds great too! Please let me know how that goes!!
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • tinkermommc
    Options
    Sounds Yummy! How many calories are in the protein powder?

Good point, mine has 170 cals/scoop.
  • kayla21elaine
    Options
    how much honey do you use instead?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can make some of these for my husband so he doesn't stop at the drive through on his way to work... :-p
  • ccb1128
    Options
    Are you calling this healthy because you added protein powder and applesauce? It's still a cookie with a full cup of flour and a combined full cup of sugar. Throw in the white chocolate chips and it doesn't sound very healthy to me. A five year old couldn't care less about nutrition, she just knows she gets to eat cookies for breakfast.
  • tinkermommc
    Options
    Are you calling this healthy because you added protein powder and applesauce? It's still a cookie with a full cup of flour and a combined full cup of sugar. Throw in the white chocolate chips and it doesn't sound very healthy to me. A five year old couldn't care less about nutrition, she just knows she gets to eat cookies for breakfast.

Or it's low fat and not full of sodium like all those other on the go breakfast options that are out there. You know the ones you eat and leave you hungry an hour later. And it hits 3 food groups in one had leaving the other hand open for a glass of milk with the 4th food group.

If you don't like it don't make it. I thought I'd share for those that do.
  • emmspice
    Options
    im gunna try and make these this weekend. i like something carby and like a cookie for breakfest. grab and go! your all like my moms on this site.