What have I done? Signed up for 10k

Options
I've done a couple 8k runs since getting healthy. My first run was in September. It was the Apple Festival 8k, and it was the culmination and celebration of me getting healthy. I didn't finish anywhere near the front, but I FINISHED and I beat some people. And I felt really good about it! I did another in October. I was on a racing kick, and went ahead and signed up for the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC (10k). Well, that was back in October - and while I still jog some on the treadmill, I don't know if I can get up to 10k! I guess I'm just feeling a little discouraged. The race is March 31, so I still have time. I can run for 30 minutes straight at about a 10 min mile pace (so about 3 miles - or 5k). I just don't think I can make can double that. What is it about 3 miles that makes you think - "ok, that's enough running for one day." I've heard that sometimes it is just really hard to break through to > 3 miles. Anyone have any times or encouragement for me?

Replies

• AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 10K on 31 March too! Want to encourage each other? I have done one 10k race before and my time was 1 hour and 19 minutes - i was happy to finish, and not last, but I did stop to walk SEVERAL times. So I am hoping this time to do better and do more like between 1 hour and 1 hour and 10 mins (but closer to the 1 hour time would be ideal).

If you can do 8k you can definitely do 10k. And if you can do 5k, you can definitely get up to 10k in the next 6 weeks. I only run once or twice a week - I try to do 5k once a week, and then something longer based on time rather than distance on the other day - so 35 minutes, 40 minutes, 45 minutes, 50 minutes, etc.

Anyway, that is what I am planning to do for my training! Plus I cycle and do bootcamp to get my fitness levels up.
  • LaurenJn83
    Options
    Sounds great! I can use any encouragement I can get :)
    I walked quite a bit on my 8k runs too. The first one I finished just at 1 hour and then the second one I finished in about 57 minutes. So I'm hoping to do this 10 k right at an hour, like you said.
    I just get so bored running on the treadmill, but the weather hasn't been great for running outside.

I usually try to do about 30 minutes on the treadmill and do about 30-40 minutes strength training about every other day at the gym. I have got to get in there more often!!! Well, thanks for the add, and hopefully encouraging each other will help us out!!